TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 25, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: The Help: Archive through August 25, 2011 users admin

Bonzacat

07-08-2003

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonzacat a private message Print Post    
LOVED IT!!! Some Oscar-worthy performances. Go see it!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Almost as good as the book! That never happens.

Maris

03-27-2002

Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Run dont walk to this movie. Amazing movie.

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 6:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
good I see this weekend Thanks.

Pamplemousse

09-28-2003

Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamplemousse a private message Print Post    
Loved it. I read book DH didn't so we went in with different expectations, and both came out loving it. I think when it comes out on DVD it will be added to our library

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
74% of the audience was female & 60% was over 34 y/o

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Thought they did an excellent job with the screenplay and casting. Some really strong performances. I thought it was a great book, so glad it became a great movie.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 10:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Loved it.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 4:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
A vile, racist film. It made me feel so dirty I spent 2 hours with my loofah.

The African American characters were., typically subordinate, and allowed white folks to feel like they'd participated in an act of liberation that was disguised as as indentured servitude. How charming! How Retro!

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 8:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I thought this was a period piece?

Spangs

10-07-2005

Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spangs a private message Print Post    
As a black man, I felt exactly the same about this movie Tish; I was out of there before the closing credits.

Holly

07-21-2001

Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
By DAVID GERMAIN - AP Movie Writer | AP – 2 LOS ANGELES (AP) —

"The Help" continues to clean up at the box office, taking over the No. 1 spot with $20.5 million in its second weekend.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/help-moves-upstairs-20-5m-no-1-weekend-161948579.html?nc

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Pamy,

My initial reaction was much like yours - it's a period piece. However, this well written article (under the trailer) did much to help me understand the problem. Honestly - it's a problem w/both the book AND the film, as the film is pretty faithful to the book.

Anyway - it helped me see it from another perspective and adjusted my perception. CLICK HERE

Boberg

10-04-2002

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
I really liked the movie. It had some fun, some southern sass, some humor, some courage, some information, and some truth to it. Sissy Spacek's character was hilarious.

It is not a hard hitting, show people how horrible racism is, and especially was in the past. It is not full of ignorant hatred, violence, or action. If that is what you are looking for, don't go see this movie.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I want to know what people found so offensive and off-putting? Was it the way the 'help' talked or that they were treated like lesser people?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Escapee, if you read the link I posted above and you'll see where some of the objections come from.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I read the link. White type on a dark background nearly makes my eyes bleed. I'm not sure I'll ever see the film, but it's good to know what the complaints are about.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
TY Teach!

Boberg

10-04-2002

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
Escapee I read the post at the link Teach posted. If I understood it right......the offense is that the primary character that enables "the help" to have a voice is white.

Just like with the movie "The Blind Side"...many complained because it was about a white family helping out an African American child/teenager.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Am I understanding this correctly, that there are complaints because the main "hero" is white and not black? That in itself seems racist.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 7:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Why can't it just be viewed as a story about certain people who did certain things, and it had a happy ending and leave it at that? ITA Julie.

Holly

07-21-2001

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
<That in itself seems racist.>

No kidding, Julie. In what universe is it considered "vile" and "racist" for one human being to help another? <smh>

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The main complaint goes well beyond one movie as the article states that almost all movies about race have a white person being the impetus for a black person to fight the system. In real life, in the 60s, this simply wasn't the case. However, Hollywood being what it is, movies w/black leaders lose funding (the article mentioned 2 Dr. King films that have had funding evaporate). It mentioned movies like Mississippi Burning, Long Walk Home and Ghosts of Mississippi that all follow the pattern of the "white hero." Having seen all those movies, I'd have to agree.

The article is worth reading.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 8:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I read the article.

I have a problem with the complaint going beyond the movie. It's a freaking movie. Watch it for what it is and don't read more into it.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
thank you escapee.