TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Super 8

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Super 8 users admin

Calamity

10-18-2001

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I've been really looking forward to this film since I first heard of it last year but had thought (hoped) it would be a non-horror sci-fi film. Something more along the lines of Close Encounters or E.T. but with an edge, maybe a little frightening however nothing like monster movie Cloverfield which was good but way too sad & scary for me to want to see a repeat of it.

But I was looking at the trailers & tv spots online and...this looks scary. I even saw the word "terrifying". Darn. Oh well, I'll still insist on seeing it opening night like we did Cloverfield so I won't be spoiled, lol.

Here's the official site: Super 8 (a/v starts automatically).

P.S. Those doggies better be okay. Yes, I know he said people were missing too but all those missing dog posters really got to me!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Caution: I haven't played this video interview yet myself so I don't know how spoiler-ish it may be. But I did watch the trailer for Don't Be Afraid of the Dark *sigh* Guy Pearce and will probably have to sleep with the lights on tonight.

JJ Abrams & Steven Spielberg On Super 8
World exclusive: of kids & monsters
Empire Magazine
May 26, 2011

Pamy

01-02-2002

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL Calamity, I always worry more about the animals than about the people!

This looks good.

I cant remember the last time there have been so many summer movies I want to see

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49854

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Glad it's not just me, Pamy, lol! I'm figuring (make that hoping, again) that the dogs will be okay since the voice in the trailer said something like it was as if they were running away, not actually missing, but still, all those posters were spooky!

Thanks for the link, Ketchuplover. I'll read it sometime after June 10! And I'm hoping I'll be thinking what an amazing movie Super 8 was when I do.

Elizabeth116

11-26-2006

Friday, June 10, 2011 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Elizabeth116 a private message Print Post    
It was a great movie. Very much like E.T. and Close Encounters mixed with The Goonies. It wasn't terrifying at all. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, June 10, 2011 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Ditto Elizabeth, it also reminded me of Jurassic Park in some of the filming style. Really enjoyed it.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, June 10, 2011 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
8.88888888/10

Yankee_in_ca

07-31-2000

Friday, June 10, 2011 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yankee_in_ca a private message Print Post    
I hated it. But I know I'll be in the minority. It's not a bad movie, it's just the kind of movie that I don't like.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Don't read if you don't want to know..............................................

Saw it last night. Thought it started strong but wasn't quite able to sustain itself so I was a bit disappointed. Still think it was a good film (very good in some parts) but not in the league of certain other movies. I really am a starry-eyed optimist when it comes to extraterrestrial life so I kinda missed the wonder and awe of those other films. Do agree it wasn't terrifying or even scary except perhaps for younger kids.

Won't mention any other details at this point, just in case.

P.S. I did like the note in the credits about the rescue dogs' pictures on the missing posters!

Pamy

01-02-2002

Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Dylan and I liked it. It could have been better but I thought it was a charming movie. Probably dont have to see it on the big screen.

I did enjoy some of the 70s nostalga. There were some funny parts and I am a sap and teared up a couple times

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I liked it. But we were in a theatre that the seats vibrate with the movie. It made it somewhat scarey but fun.

Scout

01-19-2005

Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I loved it. Nostalgic and exciting. Fun to see all the homages to Spielberg's movies. Even the music. I read where Michael Giacchino purposely tried to mimic John Williams's style. It was fun picking out all the references to earlier movies - there were so many of them.
The kid actors were really good, too. Especially Elle Fanning.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
in true Abrams style he leaves us with questions...grrrrr!!

why did the monster hang the people upside down? My son thinks he ate them....if he did then what does Monster eat on his home planet?? or are we to believe there are people there?

why did monster like the boy? could he sense he was trying to help him?

the moms locket, was it the only metal thing left that could make the rocket complete? That was my fav scene, the boy symbolically letting his mom go and I was fighting back big sobs.

anyone know a site where they may be disecting this movie like the losties did?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 8:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed this film too. Reminded me of Stand by Me meets Close Encounters. Love the 70's nostalgia and the Spielberg feel of the movie.

Yes, somethings didn't work perfect for me, but I found myself still thinking about the film a day or two later, so that tells me that I got more out of it than your average film.

Spoilers for Pamy....... I think the people were hanging there to be eaten. And I think the boy learned from the film of the teacher that when he was touched by the alien that they could read each other's minds -- the teacher said that in the clip. So, the boy knew that if he stayed calm he could communicate to the alien through his thoughts and feelings. That's my theory!

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
good answer Brenda!!! ty!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Super 8 spoiler space............................

I'd also kinda wondered about the hanging people and got "the alien was going to eat them!" as an answer too. That hadn't occurred to me at all even though I'd noticed the human leg being munched. I'd thought the creature had maybe needed their help. The teacher had said it had just wanted help rebuilding its ship but the military hurt it instead so I couldn't help feeling sympathetic. Then again, when I saw Close Encounters as a kid it also never crossed my mind to be afraid during that scene where the little boy was taken. It completely surprised me when my bf said that had frightened her. I'm kind of an idiot that way, I guess. But even I would have had the sense not to go up on that roof in Independence Day.

Elle Fanning was remarkable. I also got a kick out of the one kid who had blond hair & braces and liked making homemade explosives. Every time he appeared as a zombie in the homemade movie shown during the end credits, it cracked me up.

I thought S8 did a good job at evoking the late '70s era but was more successful at using it as a way to get the audience in the intended mood than making the time/setting actually integral to the story.

In a way, I guess the secret of S8 was that there was no secret really. What you saw in the trailer was what you got on the screen. Although one key difference between this and other boy-and-an-alien movies such as E.T. or The Iron Giant was S8 really wasn't about an amazing encounter that leads to the developing friendship between the boy and alien but how this amazing experience helps rebuild the relationship between the boy and his father. And a girl and her father.

I liked it though I think it could have been a lot better. I wish there'd been less mayhem and more scenes like the ones with the kids just talking amongst themselves and the local police trying to figure out what the military was trying to hide from them. I would kinda like to see it again to catch details I may have missed. Growing up on those '70s-'80s movies, repeat viewings were definitely part of our summers.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yep the people were hanging there waiting to be dinner. I expect on its home planet it ate other things, but humans were just the tastiest on Earth.

Calamity says what I wanted to say better than I could. It was good in a nostalgic feeling kind of way, but the story was a little lacking. And although I was a little sympathetic to the alien, given what the military did to it at first, it was hard to get too emotional over it when it killed and ate people.

Best scene (apart from the actual super 8 movie in the credits) was when they were filming the boy/girl part at the station, and they asked the other boy to go behind them to use the phone, to make the shot look more busy or something. The boy picked up the phone and just starting mouthing nonsense, instead of lip synching real words!!

Oh, and the mega-hammy "I'm only telling you this because we served in Vietnam together!"

Happymom

01-20-2003

Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I really liked it a lot! I did not know anything about it when I went to it. I had no idea what to expect. It was very enjoyable and interesting.

Kreno

08-21-2005

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kreno a private message Print Post    
The whole family loved it.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I really dug the movie, too. I did not know it was set in the past until I started watching, so I kept trying to figure out what year it was supposed to be. The only hints to the exact date were Blondie's "Heart of Glass" being played, and the new tech Walkman that the gas station guy was listening to. I knew it was post-1977 because of the Star Wars props in Joe's room. 1979 was confirmed on Joe's mom's headstone. I was 10 yrs old in '79 and several scenes brought back fond memories.

I saw this on Blu-Ray, so I watched a few featurettes after the movie. One was about the kids, and it was pretty cool. Except for Elle, they were all pretty much doing their first film, or at least their first large film. Funny thing is Elle is younger by about two years than the guys in the movie, but she looked older and got the part because of her height.

I really enjoyed the movie for what it was. At first, it looked like one of those movies where you really have to watch and think about what was on the train, but the audience found out fairly early the nature of the mystery and after that it was a straightforward drama. Not my favorite style of film, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: