TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 28, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: General Chit Chat: Archive through February 28, 2011 users admin

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Sorry, Brenda, just saw your message. I don't know re: DiCaprio. Would his nom be for Inception or Shelter Island?

Anyhow, here are the LA Film Critics winners:

Best Picture
The Social Network
(Runner-up: Carlos)

Best Actor
Colin Firth, The Kings Speech
(Runner-up: Edgar Ramirez, Carlos)

Best Actress
Kim Hye-Ja, Mother
(Runner-up: Jennifer Lawrence, Winter’s Bone)

Best Supporting Actor
Niels Arestrup, A Prophet
(Runner-up: Geoffrey Rush, The King’s Speech)

Best Supporting Actress
Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom
(Runner-up: Olivia Williams, The Ghost Writer)

Best Director
Olivier Assayas, Carlos and David Fincher, The Social Network (tie)

And the AFI's top films of the year:

BLACK SWAN
THE FIGHTER
INCEPTION
THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT
127 HOURS
THE SOCIAL NETWORK
THE TOWN
TOY STORY 3
TRUE GRIT
WINTER'S BONE

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 10:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Tishala, I'm hoping DiCaprio gets a nod for Inception.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 11:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm really looking forward to seeing The King's Speech.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Mamie, me too!

BTW, I loved Social Network. So far, it is the best film I have seen all year - but that may change when I see The King's Speech.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I also saw The Town and I highly recommend it. I'm not surprised that it was also named one of the top films of the year.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
My daughter saw The Town and really liked it. I haven't seen Social Network yet but I want to. The only one I've seen out of those above was Toy Story 3!

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, December 17, 2010 - 12:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Saw the new Narnia movie and The Tourist tonight.

The Tourist wasn't what I expected, but I still enjoyed it. A lot less action than I would've figured, but a decently crafted story.

Narnia was shown in 3D, and I thought it was a highly entertaining movie. The kid they got to play Eustace was perfect.

Edit: Will Poulter, who plays Eustace, isn't as young as his character. I read the Narnia books long ago, but I know that Eustace was younger than Lucy, but Poulter was born in 1993, and Georgie Henley(Lucy) was born in 1995. Looking at him, you'd never guess he was 16/17.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Just saw "The Fighter". I really liked it, but I am a fan of boxing and I loved all the actors.I still think most ppl would like it as it has a good story. I thought the acting was outstanding but Mark Walberg was a bit too old to play the part he was playing.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I just watched The Ghost Writer with Ewan MacGregor (make believe boyfriend), Peirce Brosnan, and Olivia Williams. A very good film. Directed by Polanski. If you have a chance, see it.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 5:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I saw Ghost Writer. I mentally kicked myself when I saw who directed it.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
{sigh} I had recorded Ghost Writer on PVR but hadn't gotten around to watching. When I saw Tishala's post about who directed it, I deleted it without viewing. Too bad, I was looking forward to it.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 6:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Secretariat was entertaining enough but I expected it to be better.I was pleased to see the actor that plays Lafayette from True Blood have a role in the movie.He was unrecognizable but I knew his voice and then realized who it was.

Melfie1222

07-29-2002

Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 2:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Melfie1222 a private message Print Post    
Ghost Writer was a really good movie. Most of Polanski's films are in my favorites. I don't agree with the idea that an artist who makes really bad decisions in their own life needs to be boycotted, as some sign of political correctness.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Well that's where we differ I suppose. I don't think drugging and repeatedly raping a 13 yr old child is just a "bad decision". I also think that if I was to make a list of a million decisions I could make that would impact my life that watching any particular movie (whether it be oscar worthy or crap) wouldn't make the list. Not watching a movie is really the least, the absolute least I can do to protest such a horrific criminal act. I am sure my watching wouldn't make a difference to anyone but not watching keeps my conscience clear.

Mictay

09-29-2006

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mictay a private message Print Post    
Has anyone seen the Joaquin Phoenix mockumentary I'm still here?I watched it the other day and I have to say I think it was really good,and I'm not really sure why......but I know through the whole thing I felt like I never blinked my eyes,LOL!

Melfie1222

07-29-2002

Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 1:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Melfie1222 a private message Print Post    
@rissa If we could only watch, buy, hear, read, eat things that were made by people who have never committed a crime, there wouldn't be a whole lot to do. But keep on keeping on.

I watched "Let Me In" last night.... liked it a lot.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 4:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Only if I thought child rapists and tax evaders (for example) occupied the same moral space.

I didn't mean to start a debate. LOL Just mentioned that I wouldn't be watching the movie because my personal values make it a non-option.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Despicable Me 9/10 The American 8/10

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Has anyone seen the movie "Time Travellers Wife"? Any good?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I did on Roger`s on Demand. Didn`t care for it. Very surreal. Not my type of film. Sorry. Actually I`d be curious for your take on it.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Didn't care for it either. It had a kind of hopeless feeling to it.

Mictay

09-29-2006

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mictay a private message Print Post    
Put me on the list of people who didn't care for Time Travelers Wife,I wanted to like it but I just didn't.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Hmmm 3 people saying not so good. I have very limited spare time so I think I'm going to pass on watching it.

Thanks Mameblanche, Kitt and Mictay for your feed back.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Finally managed to get the family together to see The King's Speech. Loved the movie and glad it took the awards it did at The Oscars. Reading an article online this morning though: King's Speech edit possibility. Was surprised to see that it is rated R in the USA. It's only PG here in Canada, not even PG-13. I took my two dd's, the youngest being 14 and I had no qualms at all with the language. It was entirely appropriate to the story, not gratuitous or directed at a person as verbal assault. Curious if any here would have an issue with a teenager or older child (say 10 and up) seeing this film? As an aside, I have often noticed that the USA rates their movies higher than us but I believe this is the biggest difference I have seen (from R to PG).

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
The MPAA was utterly stupid in giving this film an R. But I know there are people who are so offended by that word that they can't get past it and see how and when it is appropriate (and have their heads stuck in the sand if they think their children never hear it). I would have no problem with my child seeing the film -- my only issue as that she's not old enough to appreciate it and would be bored, but a pre-teen or teen would be fine with that film. It's much better then some of the horrific violence that is marketed at our teens.

Anyone remember when they cut and released a PG Saturday Night Fever? I was so glad my mom just took me to the R version. Most of it went over my head anyways.