TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 10, 2010

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: General Chit Chat: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 10, 2010 users admin

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
The third Nolan Batman film is alledgedly titled "The Dark Knight Rises" it will be in 2D

Also 3D is coming to my town. Not sure when.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
My un-recommendation: for colored girls...

I went to see it last night. I really like the play, but the film is just awful and, I think, it doesn't matter whether you've seen/read the play or not. Particularly bad--Janet Jackson and Whoopi Goldberg. And the direction is unfathomably clumsy.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 5:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Winter's Bone is my choice of viewing when watching paint dry is too exciting.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, November 12, 2010 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Redboxed Jonah Hex. Description said it was two hours long. It's actually 73 minutes. Oh and the movie is worse than Winter's Bone.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
"Avatar" finally got to cable tv last weekend so I watched it. Maybe I am the last person on earth to see it. It must have been really good in 3D on a theatre screen, but I fought to stay awake watching it on 52 inch HDTV screen.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Friday, November 19, 2010 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
My DD is at the movies - the IMAX showing of Harry Potter - she met "HOWIE GORDON" (from Big Brother!) she texted me to make sure he wasnt pulling her leg!

Once she had my validation (I sent a picture along with his birthday, etc Jedi Howie) she just texted and said he was really nice and she had a 15 minute conversation about Bigfoot!!

How cute is that? AND why didnt I go see that movie with her???

(Lincolnshire IL btw)

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, November 22, 2010 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I watched Get Him To The Greek over the weekend and laughed so hard I cried. Russell Brand was hilarious. The facial expressions and the craziness of it was awesome. Very on par with Knocked Up, Superbad, and The Hangover. My kind of movie. Love it.

Dahli

11-27-2000

Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dahli a private message Print Post    
anyone seen Waiting For Superman? I'm looking for a thread but so far no luck.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I haven't seen a thread.

On a much more personal level, I refuse to watch it as it never once talks to a public school teacher in a SUCCESSFUL public school - it also doesn't say that only 17% of charter schools perform higher than public schools in standardized testing. Nope, saw a few clips on Oprah, did some research, and that is one documentary I will be boycotting.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, November 29, 2010 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I saw Waiting for Superman. As a film, it's pretty good, but as something delivering truth, it's below average, in part because of the many lies of omission (one of which Teach points out).

If anyone gets the opportunity to see Black Swan (starring Natalie Portman), run, don't walk to see it. If she doesn't win an Oscar for it, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
The Independent Spirit Awards nominations, which honor independent films, are out:

2011 SPIRIT AWARD NOMINATIONS BEST FEATURE
127 Hours
Black Swan
Greenberg
The Kids Are All Right
Winter’s Bone

BEST DIRECTOR
Darren Aronofsky Black Swan
Danny Boyle 127 Hours
Lisa Cholodenko The Kids Are All Right
Debra Granik Winter’s Bone
John Cameron Mitchell Rabbit Hole

BEST SCREENPLAY
The Kids Are All Right
Winter’s Bone
Please Give
Rabbit Hole
Life During Wartime

BEST FEMALE LEAD
Annette Bening The Kids Are All Right
Greta Gerwig Greenberg
Nicole Kidman Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence Winter’s Bone
Natalie Portman Black Swan
Michelle Williams Blue Valentine

BEST MALE LEAD
Ronald Bronstein Daddy Longlegs
Aaron Eckhart Rabbit Hole
James Franco 127 Hours
John C. Reilly Cyrus
Ben Stiller Greenberg

Lots of really good stuff. 127 Hours and Black Swan are impressive; I haven't seen Winter's Bone yet....put it on the list.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Watch every other movie ever made then watch Winter's Bone. You're welcome.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Oprah had clips from Rabbit Hole yesterday, and it looks like a great film.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Tishala is Black Swan hard to follow? I usually hate the "Is it real or is it not" type movies. Could some movie goers find it slow and boring which often times most Oscar contenders tend to be? My girlfriend wants us to go see it and Im skeptical.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Franco & Hathaway are the Oscar co-hosts. I wish them well.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Weird, interesting choice. I cannot even imagine how it will play out.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Re, Hathaway and Franco... so great to see the Academy thinking outside the box!! I'm completely intrigued by the choice. Hathaway is super likable and Franco is a crack up. Could be fun!

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Lake, you may find Black Swan slow. It's very character driven, but it's not cinema verite or anything. Apparently Winter's Bone is, though.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'm thrilled to see the noms for 127 hours and Franco. I had no idea he was hosting the oscars! Cool!

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
I really want to see 127 Hours (love both Danny Boyle and James Franco) but have decided to wait for DVD and do it in the comfort of my home.

Black Swan... I'm intrigued. I loved Natalie Portman in Closer, particularly her scenes with Clive Owen. It's great to see her stretching her talent with something more dramatic and adult. Have no idea what the plot is about, but the reviews seem to be positive so I'm excited to see it.

Can't wait for Tron!!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, December 10, 2010 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Interested to hear about "I Love You Phillip Morris" with Jim Carey. Its a VERY limited run here in Texas.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, December 10, 2010 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
It's much better than I expected. It had been held up so many times, I thought for sure it had to be a bomb (and I can't stand Jim Carrey, either), so my expectations were very low. I was shocked to find a very strong film with great performances from Mr Carrey and Mr McGregor.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, December 10, 2010 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Good! I think hes under appreciated as an actor. How do you get to see these movies(Black Swan,ILYPM) before they even come out?

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, December 10, 2010 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
friends in the biz go to screenings and I am very persuasive about tagging along. Also, there are lots of screeners out for the awards season, so I have seen a lot of "For Your Consideration" crap that doesn't have a chance in hell of a nomination for anything

I should also say, if you get a chance to see King's Speech, see it.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, December 10, 2010 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Tishala, what do you think DiCaprio's chance at an oscar nod is this year? I'm hearing all the buzz is around Colin F in King's Speech.

Lakecat, I didn't find Black Swan hard to follow at all. It is a slower moving film like Tishala says.

I saw the previews for I love you Phillip Morris. It looks really funny.