TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
True Grit

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: True Grit users admin

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
We're going to see it tomorrow, it has received terrific reviews. I love the Coen brothers and Jeff Bridges and I have no attachment to the original with John Wayne, so it's all systems go as far as I'm concerned. They may get a tougher audience with Colossus.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 7:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Hope you like it :-)

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I liked it! Great acting but the ending could have been better.

Friend

05-21-2008

Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Friend a private message Print Post    
Well, I never would have guessed that the Coen brothers, Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Josh Brolin could all get together and make a movie I disliked but they pulled it off against all odds.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 9:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Can you elaborate? tia

Babyruth

07-19-2001

Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyruth a private message Print Post    
I liked it. Jeff was great, as was the girl. She was excellent. Matt Damon's character could have been played by anyone, really. Not much of a role. Same for Brolin.

I liked the fact that although the western had many of the classic elements, the movie wasn't formulaic and neat like most of the genre. Makes me want to read the book now, since this film was supposedly quite true to the book. Yee haw.

Friend

05-21-2008

Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Friend a private message Print Post    
Sure, KL. It lacks the usual uniqueness of characters that I'm used to in a Coen Brothers film. Also, most of the dialogue is pretty sparse except when Jeff Bridges is drunkenly grunting something out. The stand out performance is Hailee Steinfeld, especially in the scene where she is negotiating for her father's horses and saddle. Other than that, the story moves about as quickly as rising fog. It picks up in the last half hour but I thought about asking for a refund half a dozen times by then. There is also one scene in particular where Jeff Bridges does something not so nice in an effort to keep a horse moving.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
You must have never seen the first "True Grit" Friend. I got up and went to the bathroom during that scene cause I knew it was coming. I liked the movie but I expected to love it.
The girl and Jeff Bridges were on The View yesterday she was very poised and very cute. They need Oscar Nominations.Did either one get any noms from the Golden Globes or anything?

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 10:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Except for the ending, I thought it was really good. It's true that Brolin was underused, but....them's the breaks, I guess.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 6:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
coming soon...Gordon Ramsay in...True Grits

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
It was good, not great. Liked it, didn't love it. A few LOL moments, but not nearly enough. I expected more from the Coen brothers and Spielberg.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Monday, January 17, 2011 - 4:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
so, did anyone here even LIKE the original? it was a movie i remember seeing in replays as a child. John Wayne was classic as Rooster.

THis remake left me incredibly disappointed. I wasnt surprised to hear Bridges was going to do the John Wayne part. This movie would have FLOPPED brutally if damon and bridges werent cast.

i thot the ending was rushed and left me feeling flat. and that Song was inappropriate considering what was happening in the movie. NOthing in the movie is the least bit christian and the use of the hymn is trite.

ya ya ya Leaning on the everlasting arms.... rooster carrying her in his arms.... she loses an arm. Corny cheeze factor and scarily, i'm sure this will win awards since it hits each of the main 'hits' to be oscar nominated.

mind you, at least it is more of a decent movie then Green Hornet... which has ZERO to do with the real green hornet of old.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, January 17, 2011 - 5:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I liked the original, liked the remake and appreciated that the Coen brothers stayed more loyal to the original source material. I read an article that said that Wayne refused to commit 100% to the Rooster character because of his personal vanity. Not sure how much of that was accurate but was one of the things i was thinking about while watching. Thought Bridges could have been reading a phone book for most of the film and I wouldn't have known 'cause I couldn't make out the vast majority of what he was mumbling. Also thought the carrying the girl for miles was a bit over the top. Loved the girl much more than the original, this one was spunky and smart. Thought the original just came off as annoying.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, January 17, 2011 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I tried to watch the original after seeing the new Coen Bros version, and it felt very Mayberry RFD to me -- just too light and happy and ultimately I fell asleep. So, I can't really judge the original yet, but first impression was that it felt very dated. I can't say I loved the new one, but I thought the tone was right and the girl was fabulous.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 17, 2011 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I understand what you are saying, Brenda, but it is curious how a historical movie like that can feel dated. After all, both movies are covering a time period well before the movie was made.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, January 17, 2011 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I won't be able to explain it well, but True Grit didn't seem timeless to me, unlike Butch Cassidy or Rebel without a cause. The music and the feel of the beginning of True Grit felt like I was watching an Andy Griffith episode. Now, maybe the tone changes? I didn't get very far into the film before dozing. But it didn't feel authentic to the time period to me. And maybe that's not how it was ever meant to be. One could argue that Butch Cassidy was not authentic -- it was more of a fantasy, fable. I would just expect True Grit to have some grit. I often have trouble going back and appreciating the "classics". They just feel amateur and dated to me.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, January 17, 2011 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
DH and I went and saw it and liked it. The ending was rushed. We enjoy this type of movie though, dances with wolves, wyatt earp, braveheart, etc.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
The whole technicolor thing with Wayne's version is jarring after seeing the Coen brothers' dark and bleak cinematography. Having said that, I like John Wayne's version better (watched it last weekend). It may seem a bit cartoonish by comparison, but I can understand every word he says. I was a big fan of Kim Darby when I was a kid, too, so it's always great to see her even if she was age-inappropriate for the part.

Babyruth

07-19-2001

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyruth a private message Print Post    
It's weird that I didn't notice him mumbling, because that sort of thing drives me nuts. I had to watch Brokeback Mountain about 100 times (DVD) just to figure out half the stuff Heath Ledger said. But I heard Jeff's words just fine in True Grit. Maybe because the theater was practically empty the day I saw it.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 6:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Had a hard time understanding Rooster too.
True GAL-I think of the original version as having sort of a Disney Movie look to it, ala The Apple Dumpling Gang. I guess its that technicolor thing that was so popular and new back in the day.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 5:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
8.5/10

Happymom

01-20-2003

Friday, February 18, 2011 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed it! I've never seen the original and didn't think I'd see this...didn't really want to. But I am glad I did. I loved the girl, the character and the actor. She completely made the movie for me. I had a hard time understanding Rooster sometimes.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, February 18, 2011 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Did she get an Oscar nom?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, February 18, 2011 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, for supporting actress. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she won. Melissa Leo probably will, but maybe The Fighter votes will be split and she'll slip in.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I saw both movies and thought both actresses did a great job, but the kid deserves it the most. She had so much dialog to learn and she did it well for such a young age.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Melissa Leo is NOT going to win an Oscar IMO. She shot herself in the foot with the completely embarrassing ads she put in the Hollywood trades: Hollywood Reporter

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I heard about that. I wonder if the voters knew she put those ads in before they voted. If so, I think they will hurt her a lot.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, February 21, 2011 - 5:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I have to admit I'd never heard of Melissa Leo until the kerfuffle over her self-promotion for the Oscar. Maybe she comes from the school of "there's no such thing as bad press."

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, February 21, 2011 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
We watched it the other night. Loved it! The three leads were very good. It was hard to understand Jeff Bridges some of the time but he was a hoot. Matt Damon was almost unrecognizable.

Scout

01-19-2005

Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 7:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Saw this on video yesterday. I was so distracted with how much Jeff Bridges sounded like Billy Bob Thornton.
I kept waiting for him to say "some folks call it a Sling Blade, I call it a Kaiser blade" or ask for some french fried taters.

The Coen's definitely have their own touch. Mostly dark, some funny, always something gruesome.
It was pretty slow much of the time, and the ending felt so bizarre. It didn't add anything at all to the movie and felt strange and unnecessary.

The girl was an amazing actress, though. I thought she carried the movie much better than Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon or Josh Brolin (who didn't seem all that menacing after all the build-up of his crimes)

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 9:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I just saw it on BluRay and loved it. Bridges was good, Damon was good, but Steinfeld was great. Overall a good story that was told well.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
DH watched it on video and loved it. I won't watch it-my mom and I agree that there are just some movies that shouldn't be remade. There's a reason there isn't a remake of Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, Rebel Without a Cause, etc.
I love Jeff Bridges, but I just can't see him in John Wayne's role. Different strokes for different folks.

Willsfan

09-04-2000

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willsfan a private message Print Post    
"I was so distracted with how much Jeff Bridges sounded like Billy Bob Thornton.
I kept waiting for him to say "some folks call it a Sling Blade, I call it a Kaiser blade" or ask for some french fried taters."

OH MY GOODNESS! I almost spit water on the keyboard. That's just too funny.

I enjoyed both movies. (I am old enough to remember going to see the original at the theater.)
Jeff Bridges could have done a better job. I have always been a fan of his but this just wasn't his best performance.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: