TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 13, 2009

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: General Chit Chat: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 13, 2009 users admin

Kc103

07-13-2004

Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kc103 a private message Print Post    
Love that movie! Fairly large from what I remember because it was pretty much of an ensemble cast. She meets up with Terry, "Toad", who is kind of a I suppose some people might say "nerdy" friend of Ron Howard's character. From what I remember she is kind of a girl from the wrong side of the tracks and Toad and Debbie form a friendship throughout the night the movie takes place.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Thanks Kc! I was hoping that was answer. I am embarrassed to admit why I asked, but I will. I named my new puppy Candy Clark, and I didn't find out until afterwards that there was an actress with the same name. I was SOOO hoping I didn't accidentally name her after one of the B players in the movie...LOL

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
How about some candy?

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
hahahaha!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Last Saturday night we went downtown to the old movie festival to see Arsenic and Old Lace (plus a Bugs Bunny cartoon!). I'd never seen Cary Grant on the big screen before.

Have watched a few other old favorites on TCM and FMC this summer. The Wizard of Oz, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Rear Window, North by Northwest, and The Ghost & Mrs. Muir. And a couple I'd never seen before - The Horn Blows at Midnight and Citizen Kane. I also watched The Notorious Betty Page on IFC.

As far as new movies, I'd kinda like to see (500) Days of Summer, Cold Souls, and Taking Woodstock although the latter two are getting pretty mixed reviews. District 9 is supposed to be good but I heard it's gory.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just had to mention something funny. Last week AMC ran the the original "Frankenstein" from 1931, and also "Bride of Frankenstein". I watched them both. I don't think I have watched them since I was a little girl, and I remembered being scared. Well, I watched them this week, and I had forgotten that the Monster was actually portrayed as a sweet guy...LOL Especially in "Bride". The poor fellow just wanted a friend :-( (LOL)

Calamity

10-18-2001

Friday, September 25, 2009 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I figured I ought to give it chance but it's been about three weeks since Movie Mob changed it's format and...I'm not liking it so much. Plus they don't say "Eye Boogie" at the end.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Rottentomatoes.com has posted their 100 Worst Movies of the Past Decade list.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/worst_of_the_worst/10/

Chaplin

01-08-2006

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 1:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chaplin a private message Print Post    
Naja no wonder they are the worst LOL! I have not even heard of any of their top 10 worst!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We watched Synecdoche, New York last night. I am quite the Philip Seymour Hoffman fan. What a strange movie it was. Still not sure what I think of it and am a bit surprised I am still pondering it at all.

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I never did see it Sugar, but I remember correctly Ebert thought it was a movie you had to see more than once.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, October 05, 2009 - 5:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Wow, I just noticed something. I had stopped watching "At the Movies" because I just couldn't stomach the two new hosts/critics (both named Ben), or the new format. To me it felt like two college freshman doing a crappy cable show for the campus. Well, I just caught the latest show, and the two Bens have been fired. Now the show seems back to normal with two new guys I really enjoy. Now I can put the show back on season pass :-)

(I guess the two Bens have been gone since August, but I didn't notice.)

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, October 05, 2009 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I LOVED Synecdoche, New York. But I love just about anything Charlie Kaufman does.

Colordeagua

10-25-2003

Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 4:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Naja, the Bens haven't been gone that long. Only a few weeks. They were baaaaaaaad.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I have another movie riddle for you guys. I am wondering if you can help me find the name of this movie from the little info I can recall. I don't know the star's names at all.

I think it came out around 1970 (could be a little earlier or later)

It seemed like some sort of backwoods type of hick family full of nut jobs. A remember a crazy mother with grown sons. They tortured women. I specifically remember a bathroom scene where there was a scantily clad woman and she was being tortured and maybe even killed in the bathtub. I think the mother always tried to cover for her crazy sons.

What was this movie?

Brian2204

09-14-2004

Friday, November 13, 2009 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brian2204 a private message Print Post    
The Devil's Rejects??

Cwcoop

04-19-2008

Friday, November 13, 2009 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cwcoop a private message Print Post    
Naja - I recently watched a movie that sounds just like your description. It was called "Rest Stop". The rest stop had the broken down bathroom - no tub though. THe crazy family purposely gets kids to have to go to this rest stop and then they kidnap and torture and them.
check out this IMDB about Rest Stop.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0787505/
I hope this is the movie you are looking for!

There was another one we watched (scy-fy showed creepy movies all of October, I think we watched most of them.LOL!) The family lived alone in the woods because everyone else moved away when they closed the plant or something. The family that stayed drank contaminated water, and they bred with each other, so they became mutants. Henry Rollins is filming a reality show where the contestants have to survive out there, but the producers did not know about this family until it was too late...Oh yeah, they were cannibals too. Good stuff. LOL
It was called "Wrong Turn 2: Dead End"
link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0804555/

ETA: It could be THe Devils Rejects as noted above too. I just went to that IMBD page. Could be...

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, November 13, 2009 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It came around 1970, you guys. It's an older movie. And I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be in the horror genre. It was disturbing, but not quite horror.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, November 13, 2009 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Is it possibly I Spit on Your Grave?

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, November 13, 2009 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
No, that's horror and it's from 1978. Like I said, it's from about 1970.

Cwcoop

04-19-2008

Friday, November 13, 2009 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cwcoop a private message Print Post    
The movie you described sure sounds like "horror" genre Naja.
Crazy people in the woods torturing young women.
As you can see, that idea has clearly been regurgitated, since I gave you two movies with crazy wood families that torture.
good luck with your search - I hope you find your answer.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, November 13, 2009 - 7:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Thans for looking for me, CWcoop. I hope you aren't angry, because you sound like it.

When I say it wasn't horror, I mean it in the sense that seemed more like crime genre. For example, "Bonnie and Clyde", "In Cold Blood", and "Badlands" weren't horror films, but they sure were violent and disturbing.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, November 13, 2009 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Maybe Big Bad Mama or something like that.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, November 13, 2009 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
"Bloody Mama"

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, November 13, 2009 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I think that's it, Tish! I didn't think so at first because I didn't recall it being set so far back in time, but then I found this synopsis at TCM and it mentions the drowning of the girl in the bath tub. So I am pretty sure that's it.

"Over her protests Herman introduces his mistress, the prostitute Mona, into the band. After Lloyd rapes local resident Rembrandt, Ma, Herman, and Kevin drown the girl in the bathtub."

(you have to click to extend it to show the full synopsis)
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=69178

I had no idea it was Based on "Ma Barker".

Thanks Tish! :-)

Now to set my tivo to catch it the next time it's run and know for sure :-)