TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 25, 2009

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: General Chit Chat: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 25, 2009 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
We still butter our corn like they did on Wargames! LOL

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
arrrrrrrrrrgh! I lost 5 free movie rental coupons

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, July 28, 2008 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I was happy to read that Ben Mankiewicz from TCM will be one of the new co-hosts of At the Movies. I really like him on TCM even though I almost never see him since he only hosts on weekends during the day. The other co-host is some guy named Ben Lyons (who apparently works for the E! Channel - please don't let that mean that AtM is going to turn into a celeb gossip show).

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, July 28, 2008 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Ben Lyons is Jeffrey Lyons' son. Jeffrey has been doing reviews for a long time.

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 5:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlines/mtv-readying-rocky-horror-remake/

"It's just a jump to the left..."

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 8:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
OMG my bet is that it's bound to be dreadful. I mean the original was just that - original - in every way imaginable.

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
The real world has caught up to the outrageousness of the original movie. Even the original is not that fun, unless you are at a midnight showing with all the audience participation.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
It's not so outrageous anymore with everything you can see on the internet. I think they just need to leave well enough alone. And noboby will ever be like Tim Curry!

Mocha

08-12-2001

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mocha a private message Print Post    
Some movies just need to be left alone. This is one of them.

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
Do some studio people sit around and just throw out ideas? "I know! Let's remake Duck Soup, with Pauly Shore and Carrot Top!"

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Does anybody know who won the How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria - Canadian Reality show? This probably isn't the best thread to ask that but I have no idea where else to put it.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
*Shh* Don't give them any ideas, Darrellh!!! (Major Marx Bros. fan here.)

Oh and I know who Jeffrey Lyons is, just not familiar with his son.

Mameblanche: Sorry, I don't know.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
We saw Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D yesterday. It may not be great but it's an entertaining, old-fashioned, hokey adventure movie with likeable (although hardly complex) characters. If you're the type to dwell on whether the actors' hair looks mussed enough or whether rail cars can really leap tracks, this isn't the movie for you. If you're looking for some escapist fun with a few scares and a little bit of wonder (I want to find out if those birds ever really existed), it's worth checking this out in the theater so you can see the 3D effects. The "dandelion" fluff floating in the air was my favorite bit.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Will anybody help me remember the name of this old movie? I thought it was "The Day the Earth Stood Still", but looking at the posts about this movie remake, no way is the plot even close.

I'll try to describe what little I can remember.

I think someone (maybe a child) was run over by a milk truck or a delivery truck, and somehow the main character ends up back in time with time slowed down, and they somehow get the seatbelt wrapped around the shift of the truck, and they save the person about to be run over. I do remember time was moving very slowly instead of stopped.

It was in black and white, and the "feel" of my memory of it makes me think it was from the 50's. I do not remember who starred in it all.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? It's one of those things that is going bug me until I remember or find out somehow.

eta: I think there may have been a woman caught back in the slow time, too. She may have even been the one who saved the the run over person.

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
I remember that as an episode of the Twilight Zone, Naja.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 12, 2008 - 7:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
ahhhh, that makes sense, Darrellh. Thanks :-)

Mictay

09-29-2006

Monday, January 12, 2009 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mictay a private message Print Post    
I just lost A post somewhere??????

Anyways I saw Changeling today,I thought it was very good IMO,maybe A little long but well worth it.

Off topic wasn't sure where to put this,and didn't see a thread for it.

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
The Reader -- has anyone here seen it? It's one of those movies that asks a lot of questions about morality, but doesn't seem to answer any of them.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I've read the book but not seen the movie yet. Loved the book.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
You know what's funny? Since I have hit 40, I seem to view "time" differently than my little niece and nephew...LOL

For instance...I consider "Ratatouille" from 2007 to be a relatively recent movie, whereas they consider it ancient...LOL

Calamity

10-18-2001

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
We saw Knowing yesterday. Well, except for the parts where I had my eyes closed and ears plugged. I hate spoilers and it hadn't been a film I was eagerly anticipating anyway so I didn't know much about the movie going in. But I was really caught off guard at how much I hadn't expected.

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Without giving anything away, do you recommend the film? Did you love it? Hate it?

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I didn't love it but don't think it deserves the critical drubbing it's received. I thought it was frightening, devastating, daring, and kinda crazy. My reservations about the film have more to do with how it affected me than what I thought of the movie itself, if that makes sense. Would I recommend it? Well, that depends.

Beware of:
- a pretty convoluted (others might call it ludicrous) plot that's a pastiche of other (some might say better) stories & ideas - so in some parts it's pretty predictable while in others it's rather frustrating and vague
- it's so loud that my seat was shaking the whole movie and my ears were hurting
- there are several shockingly graphic scenes & sounds that were extremely upsetting, traumatic, and haunting (and why I had my eyes and ears covered for a fair portion of the film) - apparently a clip of one of these scenes is in ads for the film, I didn't know about that though and so was unprepared for all the violence & mayhem

Good points:
- it has some genuinely spooky moments
- an intriguing & provocative premise
- there's some stunning shots in the movie (I especially liked the overhead view of Cage's backyard at night)

While it's PG-13, I don't think it's appropriate for kids as I was pretty shaken by it myself. It is for the most part a very dark movie. Granted, I'm a wuss but still. If you like "what if"-type stories loaded with signs, symbols, and portents but can avoid getting too bogged down in nitpicking details & flaws, I'd say see it on DVD and spare your ears and eyes the audio/visual overload. If you can't abide ambiguous, twisty "message" films, I'd say stay very far away from Knowing as it will irritate you to no end. I liked half of the ending and was not bothered by what seems to have divided audiences & reviewers. The other half I wish they hadn't shown. I hope this was non-spoilerish enough. It's difficult to describe this movie without revealing too much.

P.S. Oh just go see it 'cause I want to read your thoughts about it!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
On and one other thing - I think we need a new MPAA rating: "N", as in "may give you nightmares - and not just while you're sleeping". There was some scary, horrifying stuff in that movie. Maybe it wasn't that bad to some people (in one review I read, the audience cheered during a part that had had me crumpled in my seat) but I was extremely disturbed by some scenes.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Submitted for your perusal.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RowGJtytQRE