TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 03, 2006

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: New on Video/DVD: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 03, 2006 users admin

Chewpito

01-04-2004

Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I watched a movie last night that I really liked, its a foreign film, Danish, I found it very well done.... "Brothers"...I watch a lot of foreign movies and this was a thumbs up, great acting...

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Anyone else see "Downfall"? Very powerful. Not tissue worthy unless you're a Nazi.

Cndeariso

06-28-2004

Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cndeariso a private message Print Post    
wish i had seen this thread before i watched war of the worlds tonight. it was pretty hard to stay awake and cruise's acting was the worst i have ever seen. awful, awful movie.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Watched Napeleon Dynamite...I can not understand why ppl found this funny and I am SHOCKED that ppl found it so good that they have made calendars featuring this guy.

I kept yelling at the screen speed it up!!!! Gawd! I feel a year older watching that crap.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I shoulda known better..same person recommended Talented Mr ripley.....another stinker

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Pamy, I watched Napoleon Dynamite and felt exactly the same way...I do not see what anyone thought was actually FUNNY in the whole movie. It was just so dumb, a waste of celluloid IMO.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Good for you Misspoufy!!! Come sit on the couch and watch a really funny movie with me..AIRPLANE!

Pamy

01-02-2002

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
We started watching Bewitched last nite, so far it is really cute, don't know why it bombed. I feel asleep so maybe it goes downhill but so far I am enjoying it...of course after seeing Nap Dyn I would prolly enjoy watching grass grow

Pamy

01-02-2002

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Another tip, if ya rent Crash you should get a comedy to watch after, the movie is good but it is depressing

Cndeariso

06-28-2004

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cndeariso a private message Print Post    
O.K. we've got Charlie & The Chocolate Factory along with Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Any comments on these two before we watch them?

Pamy

01-02-2002

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
If you love the orignal Wonka you will HATE Charlie!!!!

Here are my reviews of the latest dvds I have rented

Mr and MRs Smith I give it 2 thumbs up

Charlie/choc Fac I give it 2 thumbs down

Nap Dynamite I give it the Finger!

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I liked Lemony Snickets but it's kinda dark. Caleb (9) read some of the series in school last year and it didn't bother him, though he does enjoy the darker stuff (he's my little Buffy fan.) Dakota, at 7, thought parts of it were funny (like anything with the baby,) but anytime it took a dark turn she got up and left the room. She's very different from him though and doesn't like anything that could be considered scary.

We bought Charlie and the chocolate factory when it came out but have yet to watch it. Honestly what Pamy said is what's been causing my hesitation. I loved the first one and I'm half afraid the second will ruin it.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I just signed up for a years worth of rentals(3 at a time)for $105 at www.intelliflix.com

Offer may expire tomorrow.

Cndeariso

06-28-2004

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cndeariso a private message Print Post    
just checked out their selection, ketchup, and they don't have any of the TV series we are watching through netflix - the original dark shadows, upstairs/downstairs, inspector frost, etc.

so, while it sounds good they lack in selection.

Landi

07-29-2002

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landi a private message Print Post    
our whole family loves willy wonka and the chocolate factory. i too was hesitant war, but after seeing it in the theater, and watching it again with chuck last night. holly and i both like the charlie movie better. just because we love roald dahl's book so much more. it's so much closer to the book. war, watch it!

my favorite thing about the charlie move over the willy movie is gene wilder berating charlie about the fizzy lifting drinks, which WAS NOT in the book. he was mean and i didn't like that at all. that whole scene is NOT in the charlie movie.

Babyruth

07-19-2001

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyruth a private message Print Post    
We finally surrendered last week and signed up for NetFlix, even though we live two blocks from a Hollywood Video store :-) We see a lot of movies and like/need the larger selection that NetFlix offers.

Willie Wonka: I much prefer the Gene Wilder version!!!

Babyruth

07-19-2001

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyruth a private message Print Post    
Pamy, I'm with you on Napolean. Dumb, not even vaguely funny.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
This isn't really new on DVD, I don't think, but this morning [very early this morning] on Turner Classic Movies I watched an old silent film called The Symbol of the Unconquered, directed by Oscar Micheaux. I don't really like silent films, to tell the truth, and I watched it because of the director, who was an early African American filmmaker [he also directed some of the great Paul Robeson films] and because of the topic. It's about a woman who goes out west and her effort to hold on to her land....lots of "tragic mulatta" tropes and sentimentality. It is also an anti-Birth of a Nation film--Birth of a Nation celebrated the KKK [to great commercial success] and Micheaux's film was about destroying the Klan. The Symbol of the Unconquered is a tale of duplicity and deception involving a black man passing for white who hates his own race, an ambitious black hero, a harrowing ride of the KKK, and a black woman mounting a horse to sound the alarm. The Klan tries to run the hero off his land when they learn it has valuable oil deposits.

Unfortunately, a portion of the film is now missing [it was made in 1920 and there is only one extant original] and it has a strange soundtrack, supplied by Max Roach's extended drum solo. But it's an interesting look into the history of American cinema and it's quite powerful.

Eeyoreslament

07-20-2003

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Eeyoreslament a private message Print Post    
My cable company just recently added Turner classic movie channel to the lineup. I am loving it. There are SO MANY movies I have not yet seen, as they were *just* out of my age group. I've never seen classic Barbara Streisand stuff, and Funny Face was on the other night (and I forgot to record it). I like that there are no commercials too. I've recorded a TON of stuff from that channel so far, and burned them onto DVD for some later viewing. Lots of Lawrence Olivier in Shakespeare stuff, and old musicals are fun too.

So glad I have this channel now!

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Cndeariso, my son and I are watching the original Dark Shadows, too! He and his brother are also watching the Stargate series. I love Netflix!

Cndeariso

06-28-2004

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cndeariso a private message Print Post    
wished we had Turner classic.

netflix doesn't work for a lot of folks but it does just fine for us.

another 'wish i hadn't watched it movie' - Lemony Snicket's. it was boring and slow and not at all funny. it would have put me to sleep if we hadn't stopped it for dinner and came back to it afterwards.

well, charlie is on for tomorrow night. i'm getting mixed reviews from everyone here. so, we are still going to watch it.

now, mind you, we got these 3 movies with free rental coupons and gift cards from blockbuster and have to return them by friday!

Mameblanche

04-13-2005

Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I'm afraid to say this as it may get me run out of town on a rail, but although I adore Gene Wilder, I HATED the Willy Wonka film. Just saw bits and pieces of it and simply had no patience for it at all. But since I adore Johnny Depp too, I might give Charlie a looksee, and if its very different from the original, I just might like it. LOL.

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Weighing in on the Charlie/Wonka debate (so ** spoilers ** will follow). I love the original. Gene Wilder is fantastic and the whole movie is just magical to me. I reread the book (that I never really liked) before seeing the Johnny Depp version so I would be in the right mindset. I enjoyed the new version but honestly, I don't think this movie is any closer to the book than the first one. The entire plotline about the father/dentist is new! They didn't have the square candies that look round! I think it is possible to appreciate both movies and enjoy both of them as completely different films. I do own the original but have yet to buy the new one and may never.

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Watched March of the Penguins over the break. What an amazing film and what an amazing creature! The extras on the DVD are well worth checking out as well.

Mocha

08-12-2001

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mocha a private message Print Post    
Johnny Depp just looked too scary for me.