TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 23, 2005

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: New on Video/DVD: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 23, 2005 users admin

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I love Mad Hot Ballroom, too.

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Friday, December 02, 2005 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
Cool, Tish! Wilson is my hero!

Westtexan

07-16-2004

Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Westtexan a private message Print Post    
I rented several movies this weekend: Because of Winn-Dixie, Christmas with the Kranks, Traveling Pants, and March of the Penguins.

Just watched Winn-Dixie. Cute. That dog does seem to be smiling. How did they do that?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
We bought March of the Penguins this week, and also saw it in the theater last summer. I'm still amazed at the incredibly beautiful, stunning scenary--and that there are any penguins at all in the world with all they have to go through just to reproduce! We think we have it tough!

One of the DVD extras is a documentary that shows what the film crew went through just to make the movie (stuck at the South Pole for nine months with no possible transporatation out? Can you imagine being stuck in close quarters for nine months with some of your co-workers? Yikes!). Very moving imagery.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Just a reminder...Cinderella Man is now out on DVD.

Froggiegirl621

02-14-2003

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Froggiegirl621 a private message Print Post    
We joined Blockbuster Online recently (kinda like Netflix for those who don't know) so we've been renting a lot of movies...

Got March of the Penguins last week and LOVED it! Those poor things go through so much! It was a great story and beautifully shot.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was good too...made me cry.

We have the Honeymooners waiting here for us, and we should be getting The Dukes of Hazzard in next. Can't wait to see that one!

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I'm here to tout "The Fantastic Four". Marvel comics own. From watching the movie and the special features(to a point, haven't watched them all)...I like the cast very much. Chiklis has been a comic fan for most of his life...Evans ad-libbed almost all of his dialogue...Gruffud couldn't ad-lib because he was speaking in an American accent...Alba was quite the people person as she produced and directed the diary of the movie, and is quite a lovely woman all around...McMahon loves playing flawed/evil characters...this is a fun movie, nothing deep, but it is entertaining, so it's worth a viewing...

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
What causes DVD's to freeze while watching them? Is the problem with the DVD or the player? I've had this happen on more than one of my DVD's. TIA :-)

Rosie

11-12-2003

Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Only had one DVD freeze so far and it was a rental. I returned it to the store and they gave me a different one.

It was the DVD.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I've had that happen a few times; it was the DVD.

Reiki

08-12-2000

Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reiki a private message Print Post    
We watched "War of the Worlds" this weekend and I have never been more disappointed in a Steven Spielberg movie. There were enough plot holes in this thing to drive a van through, assuming it was the only van in New Jersey still running. Run, don't walk, far away from this movie.

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
I knew this movie was in trouble when we are told repeatedly that the alien "lightening" affects electricity and power sources except for cameras and camcorders which still work fine. Tom Cruise's character manages to find the only running car in the tri-state area. He learns that every major city in the world is being attacked by aliens but still insists on trying to get his children to Boston. People are being killed left and right by the alien death ray, going up in a puff of ash, but their clothes are left intact fluttering in the breeze. Communication is out and no news is coming out of major cities, but everyone knows what is going on all over the world. When you have the only working vehicle on the east coast (except for news vans and military vehicles it is probably not the smartest move to drive into a crowd of desperate people. Tom should have gone to watch the war with his son, he would have gotten to Boston that much quicker. In fact everyone should go to Boston during an alien invasion. It is obviously safer to stay there in a brownstone then it is to flee. Miranda Otto and family looked like they were headed to a garden party rather than having just survived a catastrophe. The aliens studied our planets for years and embedded their death machines thousands of years ago, but don't know about the common cold or bacteria? Aliens smart enough to come up with the technology in this film should be smart enough to wear biohazard suits on an alien planet.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
My DH felt the same way about "War of the Worlds" and I had drug him to the movies to see it in big screen. I am so into special effects that I really didn't notice the flawed script.

Knightpatti

12-06-2001

Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Great! I have War of the WOrlds under the tree. I think I'll return it before it is open. I had a feeling about it that maybe it falls flat.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Look up in the sky. Is it bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supergranny. :-)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Actually, I was entertained by WOTW, even though I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan. Yes, there were plot holes (pot holes?), but I still found the whole idea of aliens attacking the earth very creepy. DH thought the original was better, but not having seen the original, I had nothing to compare it to.

Chewpito

01-04-2004

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
watched, Mail Order Wife, another one not for every one, but I like off the wall movies...

Jagger

08-07-2002

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jagger a private message Print Post    
Ketchup I use to have a DVD player that did that, they tried to tell us it was that it was getting overheated due to lack of air circulation. It got worse, to the point that it would continuously free up and I ended up replacing the DVD player. I would suggest you set the DVD in an area it has good circulation and even air flow.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Ok thanks :-)

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, December 16, 2005 - 11:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
The Fantastic Four was released recently. A great cast can't really pull this movie out of the bar-ditch. It's a fun movie of no consequence. The characters are realized, but the story is abrupt. Johnny and Ben are the coolest of the group..

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 7:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
We love our membership at Blockbuster.com. It's encouraged us to take a chance on movies we'd have never rented at a video store, and have seen some suprisingly good movies.

On the docket for this weekend is The Dukes of Hazzard, Sky High, and Herbie Fully Loaded. Kind of lightweight movies, but good ones for wrapping presents and such things.

I'll have to say we both LOVED The Polar Express (I watched it twice!), I really enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, although I kept comparing it to the Gene Wilder version as it went along, and I noticed someone mentioned Winn-Dixie...that was the BEST movie...I too wondered how they got that dog to smile.

Reiki

08-12-2000

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reiki a private message Print Post    
Watched Mad Hot Ballroom this weekend and just loved it. What a great documentary and very well edited. I loved these kids, I loved their teachers. I was biting my nails waiting for the results of each round. It was beautiful to see the diversity of the students involved in the ballroom dance competition. It truly was a rainbow. I think teaching children how to dance makes so much more sense than teaching them how to play badmitton in PE. No matter what else they do in life they will always be able to hold their own on a dance floor.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Friday, December 23, 2005 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Just saw Roll/Bounce...ok movie, it was fun hearing all my old jams and reliving my skating days. All Skate!

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, December 23, 2005 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I prefer jelly myself. :-)

Weinermr

08-18-2001

Friday, December 23, 2005 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Weinermr a private message Print Post    
Saints preserve you, KL.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Friday, December 23, 2005 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL!! we just watched Mr/mrs Smith...meh, it wasn't as good as I expected, the ending sucked...so did they kill everyone that was after them??