TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 15, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: General Chit Chat: Archive through July 15, 2021 users admin

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Monday, June 15, 2020 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
Oscars are being delayed in 2021- It'll air in April, and films up to February 2021 will be eligible...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/entertainment/oscars-delayed/index.html

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, October 29, 2020 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I miss going to the movies.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, October 30, 2020 - 7:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
We didn't go very often but I always enjoyed going whenever we did. There's something special about seeing a movie with big screen and big sound and with an audience that is enjoying it.

Worse, I miss the fact that they haven't released any new movies for months. So we can't even enjoy them at home. I wonder what they are planning to do with the Academy Awards for this year?

ETA: LOL, glancing one post up, I see Wilson's comments.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, November 01, 2020 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I really miss going to the movies too. I have gone once since Covid -- I went to see Tenet. I used the AMC app and selected a theater that was empty on a Thursday evening. And I was the only person in the theater. So I was able to enjoy the movie with my popcorn. I didn't see another patron even in the halls of the complex. Very sad. The movie was just so-so, but the feeling of being at the movies was great. As I was leaving I actually started to tear up a bit for all that we are losing. For me, going to the theater is my sanctuary and I'm so sad that it feels risky to go. Plus they aren't releasing good films to draw people to the theater.

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
Well another big film is basically skipping theaters- Wonder Woman 84 will simultaneously open in theaters (whatever is open) and be on HBO Max on Christmas Day (and unlike when Mulan went on Disney+ but only as a special rental add-on for a couple months, WW84 will be available with no additional fee other than the HBO Max subscription)

https://deadline.com/2020/11/wonder-woman-1984-going-in-theaters-hbo-max-on-christmas-day-1234618288/

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, November 19, 2020 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Wow that's a big one!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, November 19, 2020 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Yes it is! I guess it makes sense. Those Marvel/DC movies are pieces of a much larger puzzle and if they delay too much, it has a knockdown effect for many years.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, November 23, 2020 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Thanks Wilson for adding that! I just posted it in the tv area but realized it really belongs here. It should make for a fun movie on Christmas.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, November 26, 2020 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Just finished watching Jingle Jangle on Netflix. Not a perfect movie but a tonne of fun. The music is top rate (Anika Noni Rose!), the cast amazing. Costuming, dancing, sets. Very welcome diversion. The girls that plays Journey (Madalen Mills) has an very bright future ahead, such talent!!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, December 24, 2020 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Fatman starring Mel Gibson and Walter Goggins is an adult comedy about a disgruntled spoiled child hiring a hitman to find and kill Santa after he received coal for Christmas. I went into it with very low expectations so for a $2 redbox rental, I found it quite entertaining.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, February 13, 2021 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Judas and the Black Messiah is fantastic. Definitely a must see.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 28, 2021 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Watched Nomadland last night. I quite liked it, a slice a life kind of a film. I think it is some of Frances McDormand's best work and I always enjoy seeing David Strathairn as well.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, March 01, 2021 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I loved it, Sugar. I am always happy to see David Strathairn, that is a plus. And Frances was fantastic!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, March 05, 2021 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I watched Madame on Amazon and while at first I was unhappy with the ending, my mind changed after going back and reading other reviews. The story centers around two main characters - a wicked witch (Toni Colette) and Cinderella (Rossy de Palma) and has a great supporting cast. It won't give you the ending you might want but you find out that it's the right ending after all.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, March 20, 2021 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
No AMC Oscar Showcase this year.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, March 29, 2021 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We rented Minari on Saturday. Although I generally enjoy these slice of life type of movie this was not a favorite. It was ok, had some funny bits, the acting was fine, but I found it a bit dull. I had no idea there was such a thing as chicken sexing so I guess I learned something.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, March 29, 2021 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I honestly found it dull too. If you asked me today what even happened or what it was about, all I can say is "slice of life". What a weak year for film. It's understandable. But sheesh. I'm trying to make my way through the Best Pics and so far Trial of the Chicago 7 is my pick!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, March 29, 2021 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Some of the others I've seen:
Sound of Metal -- it's a sad but powerful film.
Judas and the Black Messiah -- very good, also sad and made me angry
Nomadland -- also made me sad! And yet also hopeful.
I liked these all better than Minari. And no, I don't have issue with subtitles. I watch a lot of shows with subtitles.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, May 01, 2021 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Sugar have you seen Promising Young Woman? I just wonder if I had to choose between Nomadland and PYW which one I should choose.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, May 02, 2021 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, I think Nomadland was a much better movie. I really disliked PYW. If you go back to the 2021 Oscar thread you can see my opinion of the various best picture nominees. I also liked The Father and The Sound of Metal.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, May 03, 2021 - 3:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks they are both on pay per view. I think I like the premise of Nomadland better.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, May 04, 2021 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
PYW is a bit surreal and has some sass(?).

Nomadland is real people. Real stories. So is The Father and Sound of Metal. All three are good slice of life, small, personal tales that are interesting, but not particularly exciting.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, May 10, 2021 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
There's talk of getting rid of the Golden Globes. Thoughts?

Why is Disney doing movies about the villians? First Maleficent, now Cruella?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, May 10, 2021 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I haven't cared about the Golden Globes for years so good riddance as far as I am concerned.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, July 15, 2021 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Wasn’t sure where to share but after over 3 years, finally got to put pen to (electronic) paper to share my insights on the hat in The Greatest Showman. Supposedly only a 7 minute read.

https://intrepidoaks.com/2021/07/12/the-hat/