TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 11, 2005

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: New on Video/DVD: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 11, 2005 users admin

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Monday, May 23, 2005 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Netflix is great. I have been a member for at least 5 years. I just emailed them today for customer service support and got a response within an hour. I emailed back and got another response right away.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, May 23, 2005 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think Netflix must vary a lot by the distribution center. I'm at the Los Gatos one (near San Jose, CA) and they must be overloaded or something. I'm particularly dissatisfied over the time they take to answer emails, it was literally five days for the first time I had a problem (with a followup within the next day) and four days for the second problem I had. I've got used to their next day shipping rather than same day shipping now, and in reality it doesn't make much difference to me with my viewing habits, but when they first starting taking the extra day that really annoyed me too! When we joined a year or more back the service was excellent, as the other described.

I'd say as long as you're not near Los Gatos you're good with Netflix! (And if you are near Los Gatos you're probably ok with them too.)

sorry, feeling rather verbose tonight...

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 6:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
Watched Hitch last night. It was really cute. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Monday, June 20, 2005 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
"The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" - very quirky, well-casted and just off-the-mark.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, June 20, 2005 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I love The Life Aquatic, but I almost always love Wes Anderson's movies. I even own two of them.

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Monday, June 20, 2005 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
This was the first of his movies that I've seen, I just thought the pacing was off, sort of plodding rather than pacing, and the animation (while cute ) just totally missed the mark. It totally took me out of the movie when they were doing the scene when they were cutting from room to room and you could see that it was essentially a large box that they were moving through. I don't like to be taken out of the story that way.

Twinkie

09-24-2002

Monday, June 20, 2005 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twinkie a private message Print Post    
I didn't enjoy the movie at all and I wish we hadn't bought it. It may end up as a gift for someone. LOL

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, June 20, 2005 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Tasha, you might like Rushmore. It's inventive but it feels more conventional for some reason. I also own The Royal Tanenbaums, which some people love and others really dislike. I think that with Royal Tanenbaums and Life Aquatic, you either enjoy the weirdness Anderson does or you don't. He works with lots of the same actors over and over--Bill Murray, Owen and Luke Wilson, Anjelica Houston--and his works seem thematically related to me. I think he's brilliant, but not everyone does.

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Monday, June 20, 2005 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
I've heard very good things about "Rushmore" but haven't seen it yet. I'll make a point of checking it out. Thanks for the recommendation Tish.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just watched "Hostage" with Bruce Willis on DVD. It was ok, not great...But what got me is how strangely it was filmed. I watched it in wide screen and I felt all I ever saw were the character's chins, and the top of everyone's head was always cut off. It was truly annoying. I found myself wondering at least 10 times who the camera actually was on since all that was shown was a chin. Did anybody else notice this?

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I just watched Hostage too, and didn't have the chin problem. I wonder if your dvd or tv was playing up? I really liked it. It was a typical old style Bruce Willis movie but entertaining all the same.

Tabbyking

03-11-2002

Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tabbyking a private message Print Post    
hey, kitt, i grew up in los gatos, attended st. mary's, raymond j. fisher jr. high and los gatos high school. i lived on alpine avenue, then off kennedy road and last summit road off of highway 17. too bad i can't afford my childhood homes today! the last one we sold for 69k in 1970 or so was on the market for over 6 million a year or so back!
say hello to 'the cats' for me!

Pamy

01-02-2002

Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I just watched Hitch and was disappointed, it moved to slow and wasn't all that funny

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 5:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
Watched "The Machinist" last night. Very interesting, but almost painful to watch given how much weight Christian Bale lost to play the role. He was skin and bone. Good plot & acting.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 9:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Kitt, arggg! You were right. I was actually playing it on the pc downstairs in winDVD piped out to the TV, and it appears to be playing all movies on the first zoom setting, even tho zoom is off. I compared it to play on the home DVD player and on winDVD on the pc up here, and it looks normal. Now I have to figure out why winDVD is zooming even when zoom is off down there :-(

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I really liked "The Machinist" too, Tasha. I thought Bale might get an Oscar nomination for it, but no such luck.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Hi Tabby, I'll say hello to Los Gatos on your behalf! I still can't quite work out how you know I live near there (we're actually in south San Jose, about three miles away) :-).

Arggg indeed, Naja! Bet you'd have enjoyed Hostage more with the heads attached!

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
NOT NEW but i finally saw Monster on DVD and it was decent - well acted - didnt hold my attention as much as i thought it would but i liked both of the main characters - in terms of acting. Definitely not a good story but you need to know that going in and they depicted it as well as they could, probably.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just watched Hitch. I thought it was a very sweet movie.

Heyltslori

09-15-2001

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heyltslori a private message Print Post    
I watched Diary of a Mad Black Woman last night and it was great! It made me laugh and cry and think. The last scene was very reminiscent of An Officer and a Gentleman.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, July 01, 2005 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Tabbyking: I just read up the thread and realised how you knew I was in Los Gatos! Sorry, I should have been more observant before. And by the way, Highway 17 is my least favourite road EVER.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Monday, July 04, 2005 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
"The Woodsman". Saw this last night on DVD and was thoroughly impressed with the way the subject matter was handled and how well Kevin Bacon was as the main character. In the production notes it said that the actors did not get paid for their roles as it was a very low budget film. It was tough to get financing and they all agreed to do it for nothing.

I am disappointed that Kevin Bacon did not get Academy Award consideration for this performance.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Monday, July 04, 2005 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
just watched Coach Carter and no question it is going on my to buy list... great great movie and story about a high school basketball team in richmond california and the coach that put values and education ahead of athletics - while still embracing the core meaning of what athletics can mean to people -

bottom line is if you want a true feel good story with great lessons that is a combination of Lean On Me, Hoosiers and Remember the Titans, then this is the movie to see - and its PG 13

not to give anything away but one of the best lines was near the end after multiple times in the movie of the coach asking "what is your deepest fear?"... well...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, July 04, 2005 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I don't think this is that new, but we saw The Jacket last night. I thought it was very good, excellent acting by Kiera Knightly, you hardly knew it was the same girl. Adrien Brody was, as always, intense. I'd recommend it.

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Monday, July 11, 2005 - 6:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
Watched White Noise on Saturday night. Interesting plot and good acting. Not great, but not bad either.