TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 21, 2005

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: New on Video/DVD: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 21, 2005 users admin

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Calamity, we rarely spend any money on a movie. dh checks the "new releases" on Blockbuster, then reserves them at the library. Often we/he gets them the same week they are released (although I think we're about #200 on the list for Ray). Still, beats going to BB and finding out they don't have what you're looking for.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
My library stopped doing hold requests on dvds, it was just too much work on the librarians (1000s of hold requests a day systemwide!). I can still get good titles there but you really have to be lucky and be there at just the right time.

I saw Godsend yesterday, the one where Dennis Quaid and Rebecca Romijn(sp?) have a son who's killed, so Robert De Niro creates a clone for them. It starts well but deteriorates pretty quickly. I wouldn't recommend it, even with Robert De Niro in it.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
It's not Dennis Quaid in Godsend, it was Greg Kinnear.(Quaid would've been better, though)

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Oh yes, you're right! I don't think even Quaid could have fixed the movie though :-).

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Bluejaxrock: Oh you're lucky! My local library is like Kitt's - people can't put a hold on any video titles (or renew any that they have checked out). So it's kind of luck of the draw. I stumbled across Akira Kurosawa's Dreams a couple week ago but didn't have time to watch it so I'll have to look for it again.

My mom is getting the Bambi DVD that came out yesterday so I'll just borrow it from her. Even though I already have 2 different copies on VHS!

P.S. Too bad the hockey season was cancelled! (I'm just guessing that since you're also from Ohio that your screen name is for the Blue Jackets! If I'm wrong, oops, lol!)

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I finally saw Bambi. Great movie.

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Monday, March 07, 2005 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
I caught Wimbledon yesterday. Cute romantic comedy. Good popcorn flick.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, March 07, 2005 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
We saw The Forgotten this weekend. Very watchable until the last quarter, when you see the 'answer' to what's going on (it might seem a bit too unbelievable to some). If you are good at suspending disbelief I'd recommend it.

I agree with Tasha about Wimbledon. It was much better than I thought it would be.

Kaili

08-31-2000

Monday, March 07, 2005 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kaili a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I agree. I liked The Forgotten, and I liked the idea of the story, but I was hoping for a much, much different outcome to it. I was disappointed in how they ended it.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Got the Pretender on DVD last week. I forgot how much I liked that show. And that Miss Parker...the original 'tough chick' of TV

Melfie1222

07-29-2002

Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 12:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Melfie1222 a private message Print Post    
Closer was good. I tend to like movies based on plays, with just a few characters and how they talk to and deal with each other.

After the Sunset was OK. I thought it tried a little too hard to be too many things. Is it a romance? Is it a heist? Is it a comedy?

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Monday, April 04, 2005 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
looks like Melfie and I were channelling each other this weekend.

We also watched "Closer" and "After the Sunset"

Closer: Very gritty - however, hubby and I were cracking up over Clive's insistence in knowing the dirty details. Why do men absolutely need to know these things? There must be a masochistic gene in there...

After the Sunset: We liked this one - it was what we expected - a popcorn-munching caper flick.

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Monday, April 18, 2005 - 7:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
"Mr. 3000" was light entertainment. Not great, not bad.

"Criminal" was interesting. I generally love a good caper flick, but this one was just slightly off the mark. Again, not great, not bad.

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
Small little movie called "Primer" would interest those who like to be challenged to follow what's going on. Kept my attention completely and we even had to pause it at one point so I could catch my hubby up (he gets lost kinda easily lol).

Maris

03-28-2002

Monday, April 25, 2005 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
There is a documentary either it is just out or coming out on DVD. It is called The Mayor of the Sunset strip. It is a very interesting movie, a fun movie about music in the sixties and also sad. I really enjoyed it.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, April 29, 2005 - 7:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Blade: Trinity and Darkness came out this week.

Blade was pretty good if you like the genre, which I do. Jessica Biel got extremely buff for this flick, as did Ryan Reynolds. Parker Posey was pretty weird in her vamp role. Snipes was just Blade again. And I was happy to see Dominic Purcell again(John Doe), especially as the main bad guy. The Bloopers were pretty good, and the alt-ending was cheesy and I'm glad they didn't go with that one.

I tried to watch Darkness last night, but it was slow and strange. I'll end up watching the whole thing this weekend maybe.

Yankee_in_ca

08-01-2000

Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yankee_in_ca a private message Print Post    
Hoop Dreams was finally released this week on DVD -- The Criterion Collection. I bought it, and watched it today (while I should have been working).

I hadn't seen it since it first came out in 94/95, but it's still just as powerful today...

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
You know they're making a sequel to Hoop Dreams to tell us what Arthur and [the other one whose name I can't remember] have been doing. Seems Arthur is now an aspiring entrepreneur who has designed a "Hoop Dreams" line of clothing that looks like a cross between Sean John and FUBU. The other one is a minister who runs a basketball league as a way of getting kids to go to church. Arthur's father was killed somehow. Drug related maybe? I can't quite recall.

I just saw Hoop Dreams on one of the HBO channels, I think, a few weeks ago. It was interesting to see it again 10 years later. It's still very powerful, I think, but I felt a distance from it I don't feel when I watch Harlan County, USA for example. Nonetheless, it's quite an excellent film.

Yankee_in_ca

08-01-2000

Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yankee_in_ca a private message Print Post    
I didn't know that, Tish. That's interesting news.

If you buy the DVD, it includes a large booklet that has several articles and essays, among them a 2004 Washington Post article that updated where Arthur and William were 10 years later -- and also a dedication by the producers that updated even further. William's brother was killed on 9/10/01 in a kidnapping/shooting over a woman, and Arthur's dad was shot and killed in 2004 by someone he met to sell clothes to (he was apparently doing this to make some money but had become a minister himself).

I watched the DVD today with my partner, who had never seen it before. He said he found it quite sad, but was enthralled. It is an excellent film.

Maris

03-28-2002

Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
I just rented Closer and to me it was just a movie about a bunch of confused people. I was not impressed.

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 6:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
Finally got around to watching "Shall We Dance", I neither liked nor disliked it. It was just there.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, May 20, 2005 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I'm thinking about joining an online renting site. What doth thou recommenth? :-)

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, May 20, 2005 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Netflix has a very wide range of movies. Their customer service is poor if you need to talk to someone - emails take about five days for replies - but if a disc is scratched or needs replacing they send a replacement straightaway. They have lots of levels, I think 2 discs at a time is something like $14.99, 3 discs is $17.99. It seems like most days they send out the disc the same day as they receive it, but on busy days after the weekend they can take two days to send out a disc. We rent three, watch them at the weekend, send them back on Monday and they usually have three back to us by Thursday. I'd recommend them.

I heard yesterday that Wal-Mart have sold their service to Netflix, so I think the only other option out there is Blockbuster. I seem to remember an earlier conversation with BB users and there didn't seem much difference between that and Netflix.

Maris

03-28-2002

Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 6:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
I use netflix and I love it. I get immediate turnaround on my discs and so far only once I have had to communicate via email and I got a response next day, which isnt bad.

What I love about Netflix is you can get those movies that you wouldnt find in hollywood video. I also use the three dvd package. you can also reserve movies too. I have the aviator at the top of my queue so I will get it as soon as it comes out.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
ok thanks :-)