TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 22, 2005

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: New on Video/DVD: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 22, 2005 users admin

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
Ketchup: You are so right! We just watched this one a few days ago. My West Bend, Wisconsonite DH loved it. I had a hard time getting into it. It was very different and made me think too much. (I must have been tired.)

The acting was good, however, and they pulled off telling a very interesting story.

Eeyoreslament

07-20-2003

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Eeyoreslament a private message Print Post    
Mamie, I thought the Elf was cute too!

"SANTA!!!!! I know him!!"

"Hi, Buddy Elf. What's your favourite colour?!"

Jedisan

01-11-2002

Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jedisan a private message Print Post    
Elf is an absolute hoot.
DH and I have Anchorman and Collateral to watch over this long holiday weekend.

I have to send him with a specific list or he most often disappoints me.
For instance, he also brought home "The Day After Tomorrow" this weekend.
Frankly, with what is going on in the globe this week, I have ZERO interest in seeing this movie - I also heard the plot stunk.

He will have toi watch this one on his own.

PS: Yeah for BLockbuster killing the late fees stating Jan 1st!!!!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 7:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The Day After Tomorrow was actually extremely watchable (to me, at least), but you're absolutely right, not right now.

I didn't like Anchorman, a few short laughs but mostly not very funny, imo. I'm going to try and get hold of Elf after yours and everybody's recommendations though, sounds like it would be fun.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, December 31, 2004 - 10:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Just saw 'King Arthur'. I reccommend it. It's an entirely different take on the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. All the familiars are in it...Lancelot, Gawain, Galahad, and Guinevere...although Guinevere is more of a Zena-Warrior-Princess type character and the love triangle between Arthur, her, and Lancelot is played down quite a bit.

The acting was superb, as you might expect from the cast.

The only lowlight for me was a few scenes toward the end of the movie that you could tell were bad renaisance fair type scenes(background fight scenes), but overall a very enjoyable movie.

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 7:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
While I wouldn't call it cheech & chong for the new millenium, "Harold & Kumar Go To Whitecastle" is very funny. Warning - you'll never think of Neil Patrick Harris the same way again. hehehe

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Friday, January 14, 2005 - 8:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
"Without a Paddle" is now out. Saw it last night and lmao.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Friday Night Lights, Cellular, Catwoman, and The Forgotten all were released today. I plan on watching them all, but I'll probably only buy Friday Night Lights.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, January 21, 2005 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I highly recommend 'Cellular'. I loved it.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
maybe you should marry it

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Ha Ha, Ketchup.

It is a very good movie, though.

Rslover

11-19-2002

Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
I saw Maria, Full of Grace in the theater months ago but it is now on DVD. I highly recommend it. It is about a 17 year old girl from Colombia who becomes a "drug mule." It's told from a different perspective than the usual international drug trafficking pictures. This actress, Catalina Sandino Moreno is one to watch.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 2:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I don't know anything about "Maria, Full of Grace", but Cellular is a great flick(action-adventure type movie)...watch it, love it...

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I've read more praise for the actress from Maria, Full of Grace than probably for the movie itself. I'd like to see it but so many of these great, small movies never come to any theaters near me. I'm thinking of checking out Netflix (sp?) but wonder if I'd use it enough that the cost would be worth it.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Maria, Full of Grace is a wonderful film! I recently saw it again and it's just a little marvel. I think the film is really wonderful, but it's not an "epic" film by any means, which may be why you hear more praise for Catalina Sandino Moreno than you do for the film itself: what she does is epic, but the film insists on the ordinariness of her situation. That tension, I think, makes both the film and her performance all the more remarkable.

Yankee_in_ca

08-01-2000

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yankee_in_ca a private message Print Post    
Ray is coming out on DVD next week.

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Calamity - as far as Netflix and the value. I often will go a month without watching my Netflix movies so I often don't get my "money's worth". However, I remind myself that when I DO want to watch a movie I don't have to spend even 5 minutes in a video store looking for one. So my TIME is worth the $20 I spend a month on Netflix. I look at it like cable TV. I may not watch cable every week but I continue to subscribe.

I happen to have Maria Full of Grace at home right now, one of my Netflix rentals. I need to watch it before the Oscars. Can't decide whether to wait for Ray on home video or try to see it at the dollar theater.

The last thing I watched was Love Actually with Hugh Grant. I'm pretty cynical about romances and this one bored me.

Melfie1222

07-29-2002

Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 1:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Melfie1222 a private message Print Post    
I watched Cellular and The Forgotten last night. Cellular was good. The Forgotten, not so good.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, February 04, 2005 - 6:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I picked up 'Wonderfalls', the TV series on DVD Tuesday. I've watched the first 9 episodes, and I've got to tell you that this was/is a good show. If you get the chance to check it out, it's worth your time to do so.

Yankee_in_ca

08-01-2000

Friday, February 04, 2005 - 6:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yankee_in_ca a private message Print Post    
Watched Metallica - Some Kind of Monster last night. Very worth watching, even if you aren't a Metallica fan. I wasn't too sure of it in the first 20 mins or so, but it really picks up and was enthralled every minute after then.

For anyone who doesn't know, this is a documentary filmed as the band was breaking apart due to ego, drugs, etc. Very interesting.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Friday, February 04, 2005 - 8:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
I watched Ray, Forgotten and Miracles.
LOVED Ray
Miracle was good, kept my attention even though I don't really care for Hockey.
Had Forgotten figured out, but boy did it have some jump out of your seat moments.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, February 07, 2005 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Brenda1966: That's a good point about not having to bother going to the video store. I usually end up getting frustrated when I do go to Blockbuster because they rarely have the title I was interested in seeing. I've only used my card about five times over a period of several years. (Spirited Away was the best movie I've seen from there.) Anyway, thanks for the advice.

I sometimes get DVDs from the library too. A couple weeks ago I watched What's Up, Doc? - my brother and I loved that movie when we were kids. Overall it wasn't quite as funny as I remembered but the judge really made me laugh. And I needed that, LOL! I like Barbra's version of "You're the Tops" too.

New in my collection: I got the Live Aid set for Christmas & the Northern Exposure second season set for my birthday. (Buyer Beware: They replaced some of the original songs with Muzak on the English language track for NX. %*#@&.)

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Monday, February 07, 2005 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
The Notebook comes out tomorrow :-)

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 8:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
Finally got to see Cellular yesterday - great popcorn flick.

Tashakinz

11-13-2002

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tashakinz a private message Print Post    
The Forgotten was predictable, but overall kept me entertained.

King Arthur bored me. Too many stylized battle sequences and not enough plot advancement.