TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 15, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Scary Movies - Old and New: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 15, 2017 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I also look up lists online like "Best Horror Movies of 2017". I posted this before, but if you type that into google,
google will list for you all the horror movies in a movable ribbon across the top of the page for you to click on.

These are just the ways I fine new "titles".

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Hey Naja, I rarely watch scary shows or horror movies, but I like reading your reviews. I watched a movie today, "the whole thing".. but seriously did not know what it was about when I got it. Not even sure what I think about it to tell the truth. Was wondering if you did so I could see your thoughts... It was called...'Split' would love your thoughts

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 29, 2017 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I watched it a couple months ago and posted about it. I liked it, but I expected it was going to be better.

If it's the ending where Bruce Willis pops up in the diner that is confusing, this page will explain. Split is actually a sequel to the movie "Unbreakable". And it seems like the ending was setting up for some kind of showdown between Willis and The Beast sequel.

http://collider.com/split-ending-explained/

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Monday, May 29, 2017 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Thank you...I was wondering why Bruce showed up, it was so random. It was one heck of a ride...

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I don't like to say too much about a movie when I recommend or diss it. I'll give you an example why.
I'll make it up rather than use a real synopsis so I don't spoil a movie....LOL

For example, I'll read a movie synopsis that something like "A man is haunted by his dead wife....blah blah".

Well, when you watch the movie, you don't even find out she's dead until about 30 minutes into the movie, so the synopsis ruined the first 30 minutes of the movie and a big reveal.

See what I mean? The movie would have been much more fun had I not already known that for the first 30 minutes of him interacting with his wife that she was already dead.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 5:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree. Some movie reviewers and the trailers give away far too much. I guess they try to draw people in but I find it frustrating.

I always appreciate your comments, Naja. This is a fun thread.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 5:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Agreed about trailers and reviews. Which is why when there is a movie I know I'm going to see I try to avoid all information. I just want to see it fresh and not be ruined by reviewers telling me too much or previews that reveal or mislead. Ebert was very good and not spoiling in his reviews for the most part. Many critics are not.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 6:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I absolutely love Ebert's writing and his reviews and I'm always happy when I can read one of his reviews of an older movie. Some of them were more fun than the movies he was reviewing!

(But I think even Ebert gave too much away in his reviews at times. )

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This movie kept me captivated the entire time. It's a quality movie.

Here Alone (2016)

A woman is all alone trying to survive the apocalypse where a disease has killed almost everyone. The movie tells her backstory as well as her encounters with a couple other survivors. It gets gut wrenching. I recommend it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4814760/reference

Really, watch this one.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just want to add that I think "Here Alone" is safe for younger teens.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 11:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Here is an older movie that that scared me enough I had to go turn on the lights to finish watching it.

Dead End (2003)

It's about a very grumpy and fighting family on Christmas Eve headed to a family members house for the holiday. The father decides to take a shortcut, but things go very wrong!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308152/reference

Oh I love this movie. Please watch it if you can find it. It's very scary. It stars a couple very famous horror icons. Ray Wise and Lin Shaye.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This movie was so bizarre, and good!

A Cure for Wellness (2016)

It's about a young executive that is sent off to Switzerland to bring home his company's CEO. The CEO had checked himself into a "wellness" spa in the Alps, and now refuses to come home.

When the young exec gets to this wellness center, he finds that their treatments are a bit unusual, to say the least.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4731136/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I have to tell you the main reason I didn't skip past the movie in my last post is because it stars Jason Isaacs. I find him to be in my top 3 list of most handsome men of all time.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Did you see XX on Netflix,Naja? It's 4 short horror films from a woman's perspective. If so, what did you think?For me, it fell flat.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Yes, I saw it a few months ago. I thought it was funny, especially the birthday party with Melanie Lynskey.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 7:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Yes, the birthday party was my favorite. I wished they'd come back with a new show like that or Tales From The Crypt.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I don't even know how to describe this one, but I'll try. Oh, and I loved it.

Another Evil (2016)

The best I can describe it is a seriously acted comedy horror.

It's about a man and his family staying in a their mountain home, and they realize it's haunted. The man sends his family off while he stays at the house with a very strange ghost buster, to get rid of the ghost. (It's a pretty scary ghost) But there is a little bit of unexpected trouble trying to get the evil out of the house.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4185566/reference

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
While flipping thru channels the other day, we happened upon A Bucket of Blood. We missed the beginning and only watched a wee bit of it. I think it is one of those really bad campy films that were perhaps not popular but prolific once upon a time. We recorded a later showing for some evening when we are in a bad campy film mood.
I think there might have been a remake in the 90's.
Yes, the original was released in 1959 and the remake in 1995.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I think I have seen it about 20 times. The part that stuck with me when I first saw it as a kid, was when he accidentally stabbed his cat through the wall. It's a classic and one of my old favs.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, July 17, 2017 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
George Romero, a horror movie icon, has passed away :-(

He is the writer and director of the original classic 1968 "Night of the Living Dead".

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, July 17, 2017 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
He definitely added to the horror genre. I think he was the creator of zombies.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 5:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Scary movies on Netflix
https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/best-horror-movies-netflix/?fb=dd%3Deg

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I love finding these little horror movie shorts on youtube.

Here's a 2 minute one.

"Bedfellows"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6xGU2_g9s&feature=youtu.be

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I've watched many Japanese, Korean, Mexican, and Italian horror movies with subtitles, but last night I watched my first Russian horror movie.

The Bride (2017)

It's about a young couple about to marry, but the groom is from a family where in their past they used to photograph the dead to save their spirits. I don't want to say more and ruin it for anybody, but let's just say a lot more is planned for their wedding day than a regular wedding.

I really enjoyed this movie. It has some pretty scary parts.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6095090/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This one was fun as well as scary.

Minutes Past Midnight (2016)

It 9 short tales of terror packed into a full length movie. Some are better than others, but they are all pretty decent.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5861630/reference