TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 06, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Scary Movies - Old and New: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 06, 2017 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Here is another interesting one I just watched over the weekend.

"I am Not a Serial Killer (2016)"

It's about a teen in a small town. He has been diagnosed with homicidal tendencies and does his best to live with it and control it. His family really loves him and helps him.

A rash of murders start happening and the town realizes it has it's own serial killer. The boy tries to find out who it is before he starts getting blamed.

This is another one of those movies where they give away far to much in the synopsis, so DON'T read it if you plan on watching the movie. It will take away a whole level of the mystery and enjoyment.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4303340/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 11:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Well, this one ranks down there with the worst.

"Lake Eerie (2016)"

Of course the spelling is a play on the actual "Lake Erie". The acting is bad and the story is shallow and dull. Just skip it.

A young widow moves into an old house on Lake Erie to recover from the sudden loss of her husband; however, she soon discovers a dark secret and that she is not alone.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2948078/reference

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Naja we watched Don't breathe yesterday, now that's my kind of scary movie. It was really good, kept me on the edge of my seat too. Thanks.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This weekend, I watched a 2016 remake of the
2002 movie "Cabin Fever".

After I watched it, I thought it felt too familiar, so I watched the original again (after not seeing it for 14 years) and I saw something I had never seen before.

They remade Cabin Fever, scene for scene, with almost the exact same dialogue. I have never seem anything like that. Usually remakes like to change things up a little. It was a very weird viewing experience.

It's about a group college friends that take a vacation at a little cottage next to a lake and with weird locals. They start falling victim to a flesh eating virus.

Cabin Fever (2016)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3832096/reference

Cabin Fever (2002)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303816/reference

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I watched the original and liked it. That seems kind of lazy or perhaps on a tight budget. I guess there is money to be made.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 6:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Naja, I do not do well with scary, but I keep hearing a lot of blather about a movie called 'My mothers eyes' or something close to that. They say its the most gruesome ever...I have no idea but curious because I like your reviews

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I haven't seen "The Eyes of My Mother" yet, but is sure sounds creepy! Thanks for the suggestion.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 10:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Tonight, DH and I both watched
"Pet (2016)"

It stars the guy that played Charlie on "Lost". Dominic Monaghan.

The movie is about a lonely guy that works at the pet shelter. He runs into a girl he knew from HS and he becomes obsessed with her. When she declines his requests to go out with him, he kidnaps her and and holds her captive in the pet shelter. Of course things take a weird turn....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183374/reference

We liked this one.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, December 19, 2016 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Chewpito, I watched "The Eyes of My Mother". OMG, now that is one creepy movie. It is horror, but I wouldn't say it's scary. It's more disturbing or haunting.

That was such a great recommendation. Thanks! :-)

It's about a little girl and her older mother father living out in the middle of nowhere on their farm. The mom was an eye surgeon back in the old country of Portugal, and she would teach her daughter all about eye surgery on the animals.

After something bad happens to the family, it shows through the years the daughter growing up alone without her family on that desolate farm, and the things she did to feel less lonely.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5225338/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, December 19, 2016 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I watched another foreign horror film called
"Under the Shadow (2016)".

It takes place during Iran/Iraq war during the 1980s.
A woman and her small daughter try to survive the war in their Tehran apartment building.

I thought it was just about surviving the war, but there is something else trying to kill them. It was very good!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4273292/reference

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Monday, December 19, 2016 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Yep, kinda got the answer I was thinking. I heard it was real creepy/disturbing. I am not sure it would be good for me as creeping stays with me for awhile and I live alone.... I am glad you saw it and wrote about it...I will keep my ears open.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Last night we watched the new
"Blair Witch (2016)"

Horrible. Just bad. I don't know how it gets 5 out of 10 strars on IMDb. I am a huge fan of the first one.

It's all these years later from the first found footage, and the baby brother of Heather (the girl in the first movie) decides he is going to go back into those woods and see if he can find his sister. He is accompanied by 5 others, and 4 of them are the most annoying people ever put in a movie. I was rooting for their demise just to get them off the screen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1540011/reference

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I know that feeling!

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, for making DH suffer through that one, I promised him a western tonight. So no scary movie tonight. We are going with the new "In a Valley of Violence".

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I did not care for I'm Not A Serial Killer. It never kept my interest long enough to sit down and watch the whole thing. My husband didn't like it either and he's easily entertained.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I know this isn't about a scary movie, but I just had to say if there was ever a western movie that a woman would like, too, it's the one I mentioned above!

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, I think it takes a hardcore scary movie fan to enjoy the slow moody atmospheric ones. But I really thought the twist in that one was pretty good. Obviously not good enough for you to forgive the slowness. That's understandable.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 30, 2016 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Oh boy, we watched a good one earlier this evening!

"The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)"

In a very rural town, the police come upon a mass murder scene at a house, and the murder victims are all brought to the local morgue, which is run by a man and his 20-something son. The very last victim brought in is an unknown young woman who appears to have nothing physically wrong with her. As the father and son go through the steps of her autopsy, they start finding some very strange things about her death.

Really, it's good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3289956/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 30, 2016 - 11:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I watched an older scary movie that I thought was pretty good for it's time. It stars Patricia Neal. If she doesn't sound familiar, she was the original Waltons mom in their premiere Christmas movie.

The movie is called "The Road Builder (1971)" in my TV listings, but in IMDB it's called "The Night Digger (1971)"

It's about a traveling serial killer that finds a home with an old lady and her adoptive daughter.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067486/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 10:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
WOO HOO! I just got my hands on a movie that I have been so excited to see once I heard the book was being turned into a movie.

"The Girls with all the Gifts (2016)"

I'll try to watch it before the weekend.

Here's the wiki of the book
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_with_All_the_Gifts

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, January 02, 2017 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Did that movie not have a US release in theaters? I hope you enjoy it.

My daughter and I watched Jaws the other night. It really is a good, scary movie. So well done, on accident. She enjoyed it so much she wanted to watch Jaws 2, which isn't very good and after a bit she turned it off.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 02, 2017 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Jaws was an outstanding movie. It could have just been a dumb movie about a big shark attacking people but they made it into something truly special with a great story, interesting characters and a great cast. There are some movies that I describe as "being much better than they could have been" and Jaws is certainly in that category.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, January 02, 2017 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Brenda, it's been out for months in other countries, including Canada, but not in the US. It looks like the only release here will be in January at a film festival.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was a little disappointed with "The Girls with all the Gifts (2016)" . It ended being really nothing more than another spin on zombie movies.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, January 06, 2017 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I watched another stinker, but it was one of those that's so bad you keep watching. For me, when movies are that bad, it makes them fun :-) I know others don't have that view.

"Bite (2016)"

It's about a few girls who go on a bachelorette trip, and while swimming in an out of the way swimming hole, the bride-to-be gets bitten by something in the water. After they get home, the effects of the bite start taking over.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4264426/reference