TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 11, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Gravity: Archive through March 11, 2014 users admin

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Friday, November 01, 2013 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Some of her weightless scenes (getting out of the suit) were filmed underwater. So there had to be some 'fixing'.

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
Loved it even tho there were several errors in it:
Her hair stayed down on her head, and women do not need bras in weightlessness.
Hubble and ISS are in different orbits and elevations.

Loved the symbolism of starting with umbilicus cord, curling into fetal position on ISS, and then emerging into the light at the end.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I was finally able to see this great movie in 3D.

I absolutely loved it!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finally saw it. It made my blood pressure rise! What a good movie.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I saw this today. It was good. Very different.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
DS and I watched last night on On Demand (on sale for $5). We both thought it was okay, and had its moments, but there were many times it seemed to drag a bit. The cinematography was amazing. We kept trying to guess what was digitally created and what was a stage set.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, March 03, 2014 - 7:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
B.o.r.i.n.g. Kar I paid 6.99 On Demand this weekend. ITA it had some terrific moments. But overall, for me, it was a drag. Not surprised it won all the tech awards. But surprised the director won. Oh well.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, March 03, 2014 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I think it's the kind of movie where being in the theater where you don't have the distractions of home, where the screen is larger than life -- where you can just be enveloped in the atmosphere of the film really help pull you into the film. Films like this demand to be seen on the big screen, they just don't work as well at home. it's not about the story, IMO, it's about the visuals and being sucked into that world in a darkened theater.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, March 03, 2014 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Maybe Brenda. But even in a theater, I can't imagine being enthralled by watching Sandra Bullock for a full minute do absolutely nothing (when she first got into the space station and got her suit off). We were saying "what? Is she sleeping? Passed out? What's wrong with her?"

And DS was especially annoyed by all her panting in the beginning. He kept saying, geez, how stupid are you? You're using up all your oxygen! LOL

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, March 03, 2014 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Possible spoilers.... not sure which scene, the one where she's curled up in the fetal position and the the one cord looks like an umbilical cord? Just huge amounts of symbolism there that I think would be lost on even a large TV screen. My review above states this wasn't "my kind of movie". And that's true. This is one of those huge visually symbolic films that gives you something to ponder as you stare into deep space. I don't think it will play well at all on home theater. I think people will be disappointed. And the panting... when I was wathching in a theater, her fear was palpable.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, March 03, 2014 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes, that's the one, we didn't notice the cord, just that it went on and on. We don't really watch movies to "ponder" during the movie, I guess. :-)

Yes, she was afraid, but the panting was annoying on a small tv, I think it might have been intolerable in a theater? For us.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, March 03, 2014 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I haven't seen it but I'll comment anyway.

One reason I haven't seen it is that I feel that although I haven't seen it I've already seen it. LOL - Does that make sense? It just seems like a very predictable film to me. Probably lots of close-ups of an upset panting Sandra, lots of drama and a fairly predictable ending.

Having said that, I'm sure that the cinematography and effects were beautiful and I will get around to seeing it. I'll come back and post about it when I do and maybe I'll change my opinion about it.

Holly

07-21-2001

Monday, March 03, 2014 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
The only way to watch this movie is Imax 3D. Period.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, March 03, 2014 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I have to agree with Holly. Without the IMAX and 3D, too much is lost.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, March 03, 2014 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, given that the only IMAX 3d theater is over an hour away, and I'd barf thru the whole thing, I would say I'm glad it's not the "only way." :-)

Jimmer, the ending was predictable. and so was much of the movie. DS and I made it more fun by guessing what would happen next, and one of us got it right almost every time.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, March 03, 2014 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
This follows Ebert's Law -- it's not *what* it is about, but *how* it is about it.

This film was an achievement in technical filmmaking and won the Oscars it deserved for those items. To shrink it down to a living room sized TV is losing all that made this film what it was -- the "how" part. There are just some movies that only work as a theater experience. I'm sorry you all missed seeing it that way. It's kind of like the difference between being on a ride versus watching a youtube of that ride. Entirely different experience.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, March 07, 2014 - 3:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I just watched it, Brenda, and you are absolutely correct. it lost about everything that probably made it great on the big screen…underwhelming after such a huge buildup.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 07, 2014 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It strikes me as kind of similar to 2001: A Space Odyssey. That must have been brilliant for its time in the theater but totally lost that aspect on the small screen.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, March 07, 2014 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Great point Jimmer, I've NEVER been able to last more than a few minutes during 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, March 07, 2014 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yep, never did understand the 2001 space odyssey hype, but I never saw it in the theater.

Whiplash

03-29-2011

Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whiplash a private message Print Post    
Be sure and watch the short movie on the DVD in the special features section. It is about the guy that Dr. Stone was talking to on the radio with the dogs who kept calling her mayday. It added something to the story for me.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
While the first 30 minutes or so were slow (and yes, I found her panting annoying since they explained how much oxygen was being used up) I left the theater feeling like I had seen a film worthy of being nominated for multiple awards.

I agree with Ebert's Law that Brenda brought up above. Even though there were times when I wanted to scream at her, the story was about HOW she handled each situation as it came up. In that sense, I found it to be a very successful movie.

Granted, I didn't feel it deserved movie of the year but it more then deserved the awards it did win.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
This is good and funny. It has spoilers, so only watch if you've already seen Gravity.

It's an "honest" trailer. LOL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzzLngXfCcI

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I like the pinball sound effects!

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
I have very mixed feelings about this movie. I liked it and didn't like it. I have asthma and COPD and found myself gasping for air watching it. I have always like Sandra Bullock in everything she has done.