TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 24, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Scary Movies - Old and New: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 24, 2016 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
For sure. A good ghost story is the best.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Scout, did you ever see this ghost story?

"What Lies Beneath (2000)"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0161081/reference

This is one my all time fav ghost stories. It stars Michelle Pfeiffer and Harrison Ford. Be sure to watch this one home alone at night :-)

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 5:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I liked What Lies Beneath too! I love stories like that!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 5:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That was a good one.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 7:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I agree - that is a good one.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
One of my old favorites of the ghost story variety is "the Others" with Nicole Kidman.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I loved "The Others". That is one twist that blew my mind!

eta: I think the twist in that movie should go down as one of the top 5 movie twists of all time.

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Naja - Have you ever seen The Orphanage?
I just recently saw it. I was trying to find lists of ghost stories hoping there was a good one I had missed. I think at the time I thought I had already seen this movie, but was probably thinking of The Orphan.
Anyway, this movie was excellent. I would highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. It's subtitled, but that doesn't take anything awayfrom the film

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I actually download The Orphanage some time back, but never got around to watching it. I'll try to watch it this weekend.

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, June 24, 2016 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Finally got to see The Boy. Was definitely not as good as I had hoped.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 01, 2016 - 10:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Scout, I just finished watching The Orphanage and it was so good!

There's only one tiny complaint, but I will put it in spoiler tags.

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
Over all those months that their son was missing, no one bothered looking in the basement? haha

Scout

01-19-2005

Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 4:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Naja - so glad you liked it, too!

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
I don't think the new owners knew there was a basement - the only door seemed to be the one hidden behind the wallpaper. The story was heartbreaking when you find that yes, the house did have ghosts, but what they had been hearing all that time had been their son pounding on the walls and then finally the crash where he broke through the railing and fell to his death. It did have a few unexplained questions - like how the lady was able to poison the children, hide them or whatever. At first, I thought the staff probably thought they were just sick, but since she came back to move the bodies out of that shed - I'm not sure if she had them hidden in some secret room. They never really explained that.
But at least it had less flaws than The Boy - lol

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I'm downloading a couple movies that I was too little to see when they came out, but that I have heard people talk about all my life.

Willard (1971)
and
Ben (1972)

Does anybody know if these were made for TV movies or movies that were actually in theatres?

What prompted me to download them was watching the Michael Jackson doc that was on showtime last night and it showed him singing the "Ben" song.

(I did see the Willard remake in 2003, but I thought it was horrible)

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
I know for sure Willard was in the theatres in 1971, as I remember seeing it there, Naja. Not sure about Ben. I don't think the reviews were as good for it, as the first movie but I could be wrong.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Rupertbear. Wiki says Ben is the sequel to Willard, so maybe that means they were both in theatres.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Here's a new one that is in theatres July 22. It looks pretty scary.

Trailer for "Lights Out"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8_pKs4t3b8

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Now this is interesting. After you watch the trailer for "Lights Out" in post above, then watch this horror movie short.

The full length movie "Lights Out" is based on this horror short. It's less than 3 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adap4rzlM2I

The same guy created both. The movie and the short.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I managed to watch two real stinkers this weekend.

"Restoration (2016)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4517738/reference

"The Invitation (2015)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2400463/reference

I can't stress this enough.... don't bother.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Hi Naja...just popped in to say I never, ever, ever, never watch scary movies...too stressful for me!

No wonder you have trouble sleeping...(teasing ya!) lol

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
LOL

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I had been aware of this movie for quite a few years but never got around to watching. It's supposed to be a classic.

"Carnival of Souls (1962)"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055830/reference

Mary Henry (Candace Hilligoss) ends up the sole survivor of a fatal car accident through mysterious circumstances. Trying to put the incident behind her, she moves to Utah and takes a job as a church organist. But her fresh start is interrupted by visions of a fiendish man (Herk Harvey). As the visions begin to occur more frequently, Mary finds herself drawn to the deserted carnival on the outskirts of town. The strangely alluring carnival may hold the secret to her tragic past.

I downloaded it and I hope to get to it within a couple days.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 22, 2016 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
After watching Carnival of souls, I don't really think of it as a horror movie, but I could see how it was considered one in 1962. It reminded me of a David Lynch type movie, like Mulholland Dr.

It was really odd and slow at some parts, but I enjoyed it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 22, 2016 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I should have said in my post above that it is creepy and mysterious. Not so much scary.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I caught another stinker this week.

"Come Out and Play (2012)"

A couple take a vacation to a remote island - their last holiday together before they become parents. Soon after their arrival, they notice that no adults seem to be present - an observation that quickly presents a nightmarish reality.

I would say it's somewhat like Children of the Corn, but instead takes place on a remote island off Central America.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2341664/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Ok, I watched a new one that I really enjoyed, but I think it may be a scary movie that only actual horror fans will like.

It's an anthology of different stories revolving around different holidays. Except it's not the fun side of the holidays, it's a twisted take on them.

"Holidays (2016)"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4419364/reference