TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 20, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Scary Movies - Old and New: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 20, 2016 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Wow that is cool!

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I finally saw "The Boy (2016)" It was so weird and creepy. It wasn't as good as I had hoped, but it was still fun to watch. It's about an old couple in England that hires and American nanny to take care of their son. Except the son is a doll with a porcelain head. The nanny goes along just to get the paycheck, but things soon start getting weird.

It stars Lauren Cohan. She's the girl that plays Maggie on Walking Dead.

"The Boy" trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6KNp4FEKUg

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Aw! I was anxious to see that one when you first posted about it. Bummer that it wasn't as good as you hoped. As you said it is still a fun watch, so I'll give it a go. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 5:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I loved the trailer for this one. My wife doesn't generally like horror movies but both my DD's love them (one in particular) so I enjoyed their reactions when they saw it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Scary movies have been my favorite since I was 6 or 7. I think it was because our babysitter let us stay up to watch Night Gallery, and that got me started.

Tonight we watched "Backtrack (2015"

Very, very good. It's a mystery about a Psychiatrist that has some odd patients that seem to be trying to get him to look into something from the past.

If you are going to watch it, don't read about it online. I feel like they give too much of it away in the synopsis. I wish I would have just been left to to see it unravel without knowing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2784936/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I watched another scary movie that seemed so odd to me. I didn't think it was very good until I saw at the end during the credits when they had the actors explaining it was improv! That alone makes it interesting. I wish I would have known beforehand.

Murder in the Dark (2013)
'When a group of young people camping in the ruins of a medieval Turkish town play a party game called 'Murder in the Dark', they soon discover that someone is taking the game too far...'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1680102/reference

If you have Showtime, it's been playing there and it's in on-demand. Really, it's not very good except for the fact it's improv.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Last night I watched a mediocre scary movie with a good twist. I hate when that happens

The Forest (2016)
It stars Natalie Dormer (currently known for Margaery on Game of Thrones) as an American woman that travels to Japan to find her missing twin sister. Since the last time anybody saw her, she was headed into Japan's famous "suicide forest", no one is really in a hurry to help since people usually go there to kill themselves, and they figure her sister is already dead. Plus, they say the spirits there mess with your head. But she finds some people to help her search the forest.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3387542/reference

The thing about this forest is that it is a real place in Japan. If you look up Aokigahara Forest, you will see photo after photo of all the bodies they find there of people that go there to commit suicide. It's very creepy and sad.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 12:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I'm just doing everyone a favor by posting to steer clear of "Unnatural (2015)"

It has some decent stars like James Remar and Sherilyn Fenn, but it still wasn't very good at all.

It's about a genetically engineered polar bear, designed to live in other climates because of climate change. But it goes nuts and escapes the facility in Alaska and goes on a killing rampage.

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, April 29, 2016 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Krampus was not at all what I expected. It had a bit of everything - classic horror, comedy, drama, with a bit of Christmas lore thrown in. The horrow parts were definitely scary, but it felt kind of bi-polar. Part of the movie seemed one main genre and the rest felt like a combination of others.

I liked it though. I think I wouldn't have mind watching it around Christmas had I known more about it. I couldn't figure out why they would make a horror Christmas movie, but it actually does make sense. And like Naja said - it was kind of fun.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 10:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I watched a decent scary movie last night called
"The Witch (2015)"

It's about a family in 1600's America banished from their town and forced to go live it alone. They were banished because the father didn't go along with the religious ways of the community.

After they get set up in the wilderness with their new life on their own, bad things start happening to them.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4263482/reference

If anybody watches this, let me know if you thought those two younger children were the biggest brats you have ever seen...hahaha

eta: Oh! Forget to mention the mother is played by Kate Dickie. She played Lysa Arryn on Game of Thrones. That character was a nutcase.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 09, 2016 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Here is a mediocre one I watched this week.

Emelie (2015)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4503598/reference

It's about a psychotic replacement babysitter.

Don't bother unless you are really bored.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 09, 2016 - 11:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This one is a little better than the one in the post above.

The Veil (2016)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3533916/reference

It's about the lone survivor of a cult mass suicide. She was 5 years old when it happened. Now, 25 years later, she has agreed to go back to the site if the cult suicides with a film crew. Of course things get crazy.

The star of the movie is Lily Rabe. She is the one who played the evil nun in "American Horror Story: Asylum" and also the hippie chick who loved Stevie Nicks in "Coven".

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, May 27, 2016 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I watched a new one that was just OK. I was expecting more since it stars the woman who played Laurie on "The Walking Dead".

"The Other Side of the Door (2016)"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3702652/reference

It's about an American family living in India and they have a son and a daughter. The mom gets into a car accident with the kids in the car and was only able to save her little girl. Her housekeeper sees her sadness and tells the mom there is a way she can talk to her son one last time, but she has to follow the rules. Of course she doesn't follow the rules, and all hell breaks loose.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, May 27, 2016 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Another new one:

"10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179933/reference

Here is another one of those movies where it's the twist that makes it worthwhile.

The previews make it look like a strange man (John Goodman) is keeping a girl captive in an underground shelter by lying to her that we have been attacked with dangerous gases and everyone is dead outside.

Well, sort of or maybe not, or exactly right?....LOL, but that's all I'm sayin'

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Thanks for those movie ideas!

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 11:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
You're welcome :-)

If any of you guys have STARZ channel with your tv package, I found something I had never seen before in on-demand.

His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th (2008)

It's a total retrospective and behind the scenes of the whole series from the beginning in 1980 until 2008. There are interviews with the casts of the original and all the sequels.

It was really fun to watch. I can't believe I just found out about it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 11:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just want to add that "Friday the 13th" is probably one of my least favorite horror franchises, but since I have watched all the movies despite that fact, this retrospective was really fun to watch.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I would be interested to see that. I just watched the original "Friday the 13th" on Ion channel and they cut out so much. What a sanitized version.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was just reading that the The Ring 3, actually titled "Rings", will be out this October for the Halloween season. You won't believe who stars in it this time.
Johnny Galecki! He's Leonard on "Big Bang Theory".
I can't wait for it.

And I had another new movie to report about, but it just left my brain. I'll be back if it ever re-enters my brain. :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Ha! I remember now. The internet is all aflutter saying "The Conjuring 2" is waaaay scarier than the first movie. And I thought the first one was pretty scary.

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 4:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Naja - I watched The Witch yesterday. It was really different, but good. The whole period hysteria about witches and Puritanism made for a pretty interesting mix.
And yes, I totally agree about the youngest two kids.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Glad you enjoyed it :-)

My brother texted me last night that I have to see
"Hush (2016)" He caught it on netflix. The ratings are through the roof.

Imdb synopsis says:

"A deaf writer who retreated into the woods to live a solitary life must fight for her life in silence when a masked killer appears at her window. "

I'll probably watch it Saturday night since I don't really have any tv shows that night. I'll get back with my thoughts.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Naja - that one looked really scary. Did you get a chance to watch it yet?

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Yes, I watched it.

It was pretty good. It's basically the same ole story of a woman home alone being terrorized, but it was done well with a different perspective, since the woman was deaf.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I'm not really into those kind of horror movies. I much prefer a good ghost story.