TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 01, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Scary Movies - Old and New: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 01, 2016 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I never know what to say when someone asks me that, Brenda...haha

To me it was a fun sort of scary with some jumps. It's rated PG-13 so it was definitely meant for young and old alike. The trailer is a pretty good representation.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I specially came here to ask you about The Visit.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Maybe I should ask if it's exploitively violent scary? Like SAW? Or more silly jumps and gotchas. Sounds like the latter since it's PG-13. I think my teen would like to see it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
You got it, Brenda, it's mostly silly, but there is a little mild violence.

This weekend I am going to be watching the movie that Ketchuplover asked about, "Insidious: Chapter 3 (2015)"

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Well, I guess Insidious 3 was ok. Nothing too exciting. It was a prequel to the original and it is the story of how Elise the psychic came out of retirement to start helping people with their ghost problems again. In this movie, she helps a teenage girl get rid of a ghost that is trying to kill her.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Last night I watched "Sinister 2".
The main problem I have with it is that if you never saw the first movie, I don't think this second one would make any sense at all.

It's not nearly as good as the first one. I liked the first one so much I bought the blu-ray. I won't be doing that for this one.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This afternoon I watched "Contracted (2013)"

Honestly, I watched it just so I could delete it, thinking it would be horrible. It was actually kind of interesting.

The story is about a lesbian girl who has sex with a guy. He pretty much date rapes her. She catches something from him, and it's not the everyday STD. She gets sicker and sicker as the movie goes on. I won't say what it is, but the opening scene will give you a hint what he is spreading around.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2281159/reference

There is a sequel called "Contracted: Phase 2", and I may watch it Friday.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Hmmm.... Naja, would it make my teen think twice before hooking up? Maybe I need to have her watch it to scare her away from boys? LOL.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, January 29, 2016 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
LOL Brenda, it just might!

I do think it's safe for teens because in spite of the subject matter, there isn't any nudity. The bad stuff happens off screen and you're left to imagine what happened.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I watched a few more over the weekend.

"We Are Still Here (2015)" was terrible. It's about a house in the country in New England somewhere that has something evil in it that comes to life every 30 years. And it does something horrible to whoever is living in it at the time.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3520418/

This next one was kind of fun.
"A Christmas Horror Story (2015)"
It has 4 interwoven stories that all take place on Christmas Eve. There is a little element of comedy, but also has some good scares.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3688406/

and "Creep (2014)"
I loved this one. The funniness of it gets you off guard for the scariness. It's about a guy who hires a photographer to take video of him for a day, and the stuff he puts the photographer through is hilarious and scary.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2428170/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Just watched The Veil on Netfix. The premise sounded interesting. A Jim Jones-like cult all kill themselves and only a five year old girl is found still alive. Fast forward thirty some years and a brother-sister film team whose own law enforcement father committed suicide after having been there to find the bodies, returns with the lone survivor to try to find lost film footage of what happened.

I thought it might be good since it had Lily Rabe but it was pretty unoriginal and predictable and fairly boring. Now I know why I hadn't heard of the movie before.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Scout, I think 99% of the scary movies I watch, I have never heard of before....hahaha

I just put a check next to the genre "horror" when I search for movies, and I watch almost every one that shows up :-) Needless to say, I watch a lot of stinkers. But the unknown gems I find make it worth it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Late last night I watched "Intruders (2014)"

I actually enjoyed it. Mainly because it certainly surprised me in the plot.

It's about an agoraphobic woman who lives in a big old house with her dying older brother, that she loves very much. She takes care of him. After he passes, some thugs break into her house to rob it, and she's too scared to run out of the house to save herself....but she definitely turns things around on these thugs.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4009278/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 9:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I almost forgot to mention this one.

"Clown (2014)"

This one is about a man desperate to replace the clown that cancelled on his son's party. So he finds a clown suit in the house of one of his real estate clients homes and decides to dress up himself to replace the clown. Oh my, this clown suit isn't a normal clown suit. It does something not so good to the person wearing it!

I thought the movie was pretty good :-)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1780798/reference

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, February 05, 2016 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Naja - I saw The Visit that you had recommended. It was pretty good - definitely a good twist ending.

I also just watched Hidden which wasn't bad at all. It starts out with a family who have been living in a fallout shelter for over a year hiding from the "mouth breathers" after some type of viral outbreak.
It's pretty interesting, a bit slow, but totally character driven and it definitely has a great twist ending.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I watched one last night that was scares from beginning to end.

"Last Shift" (2014)

A female rookie cop starts her very first night on the job on the same night the old police station is closing down. While all the 911 calls and everything are already being routed to the new station, her job on her first night is just to watch over the old station. All by herself. It pretty much turns into a nightmare.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2965466/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 3:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Last night I watched such a good one.

"Crimson Peak" (2015)
It's a gothic ghost/love story. And there a bit of blood, too. It has some pretty big stars in it like Mia Wasikowska and Jessica Chastain.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2554274/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 10:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just downloaded "Krampus" and I am going to watch it late tomorrow night. I can't wait! I think this is the movie I have been most excited about since I heard about it. It was in the theatres over Christmas.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3850590/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 11:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Krampus was a lot of fun. It's a comedy with monsters. It's definitely a family movie.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 11:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was wondering if anybody ever watched "Lake Mungo" from 2008 after I suggested it awhile back? The reason I ask is because it still haunts me a little. Every time I see it in on-demand or in the listings, a chill goes through me.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 11:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
ok, I found an interesting one tonight :-)

If you love scary movies and your other likes old westerns, this one will make the both of you happy :-)

Tonight DH and I watched "Bone Tomahawk (2015)".

It's a combination western with a scary element. It has some really big stars in it.

Kurt Russell
Patrick Wilson
Matthew Fox
David Arquette
Sid Haig ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2494362/

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I haven't watched Lake Mungo. If you miss them when they come out, some of those older movies are hard to get.

I sure appreciate the recommendations though. :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, March 18, 2016 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I see, Jimmer :-)

Last night I watched
Victor Frankenstein (2015)

Oh this was fun! I would call it more sci-fi thriller than horror. And it has some big stars like Daniel Radcliffe and James McAvoy. The love interest is the girl that played Lady Sybil on Downton Abbey, Jessica Brown Findlay.

You won't be disappointed watching this new take on the Frankenstein story.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1976009/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, March 28, 2016 - 11:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just watched one of the worst "found footage" movies.

The Houses October Built (2014)

It's about a group of four friends that take off on trek across the country near Halloween to visit the best haunted houses. The kind set up for the public, not the kind the ghost hunters go to. Anyway, they get into a bit of trouble looking for the legendary secret and scariest one of all.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1958043/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, April 01, 2016 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
A few weeks ago, I accidentally found how to search for the best scary movies by year (Or any kind of movies) on google. It's pretty cool.

Here's how.

Go to www.google.com and paste in the search "Best horror movies of 1998" or whatever year.

The results will have a scroll across the top of the best movies in that category. And when you click on one, the synopsis will appear on the right side. It is a great way to look for top scary movies (or any category) of a specific year. I've found quite a few I haven't seen.