TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 09, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens : Archive through January 09, 2016 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Taking a pal for her b'day on the 29th. Can't wait!!!!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Bought tickets for myself and 15 yo DS when they were released two months ago. He's been so excited. We watched episodes 5 and 6 over the past week.

Had tickets to a 9:00 pm show. They actually opened the theater it was in (one of several at our local multiplex), and we got our seats at 3:00! I've never in my life waited 6 hours in a theater for a movie, but I had my phone and Kindle, so I was mostly entertained.

It was such an experience watching the movie with so many other fans. It was a very enthusiastic audience! Everybody cheered and applauded as soon as the LucasFilm logo came on the screen, cheered for every major character, even the Millenium Falcon. It was really a wonderful experience.

My son has ASD, so he's not very vocal about many things, but he was positively giddy all the way out to the car and all the way home. He chattered the whole way about different aspects of the movie, the new characters, etc. It was so fun that they made so many references to the older movies, nods to the fans.

JJ Abrams did George Lucas proud. Can't wait for Episodes 8 and 9!!!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I forgot to add that our multiplex was open 24 hours for Star Wars, not only with shows in the early evening (5:00, 6:00, 7:00, 9:00, 11:00 and midnight), but there were also shows at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00 and 4:45 am! Never heard of that before! I can't imagine going to a movie at 4:00 in the morning! Craziness!

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
YAH!!!

BJM... what a wonderful experience for you and your son, you'll both remember it forever. Great memory.

I'm taking my 16 yo DS over our holiday break... and I can't wait!!! Some movies are meant to been seen in the theatre with an enthusiastic audience... and this is one of them for sure!!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Legal, what a fun experience for you!!!

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 8:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
That sounds so great babyjax ...I still have a couple years before I can take my son but I can't wait for him to share in the love of the force. :-)

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Monday, December 21, 2015 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I don't drive anymore since July. Only watch my dvd movies and tv shows when I'm in the mood. Glad to hear you're all enjoying the movies.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Have Missed your reviews Ketchup.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 6:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I have a long, rambling question, complete with spoilers (possibly for the next movie, not just this one) so will mask part of it.

After the first 3 movies (so chapters 4,5 and 6) I have a very clear memory of reading the books for all 9 chapters. I cannot remember the precise storyline but I recall details
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
like Luke having a meltdown and disappearing after making the same training errors with someone that obi wan did with Vader. Like the imperial forces building an even bigger planet killer. More vivid is the line that 'twins run in the family' and that Leia and Hans had twins and this time it's the girl that was hidden away because Luke felt the force in her and worried about her safety.

After I watched this movie(awesome!!) I went looking for the books and couldn't find any record that they ever existed, I know Lucas is writing the story and he didn't always intend to film all 9 chapters so perhaps he released his idea of how the story would end somewhere and that's what I am remembering? I also realize that he could change the story as he works on the films so I could still be surprised but, so far, the broad strokes of the story I have known for over 30 years. Anyone else have a clue what I am talking about? Rflol

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 9:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I haven't read what is in your spoiler box as I haven't seen the movie yet but I have heard that the books are no longer considered canon and the movies may/will go in a different direction. Fans are happy/unhappy about this.

Lucas is no longer involved in the making of the films.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, December 25, 2015 - 11:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I didn't read the spoiler box either because I haven't read the books, but yes, from what I've heard, uber fans are not happy that the new movies will not follow the canon that other star wars material of the past set forth. So, yes, it seems that the storyline has gone in a different direction.

I went to see the movie and really enjoyed it.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 4:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Thxguys but i was asking something else which maybe got answered by mistake. Lol. I cannot find any record that there were ever 9 books published about 35-40 years ago that encompassed the entire saga. So i am trying to figure out what i have in my memory about the ending trilogy and how it got there. I have no problem with the story being changed, i would prefer it actually so i can be surprised. Everyone i ask tells me the same thing about the story not being canon so there must have been an original story?

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 11:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
The movies and parts of the video game "Battlefront" are canon (according to JJ Abrams). The novels after "Return of the Jedi" are not.

We went to the marathon. All 7 movies (started at 4a Thursday, with Episode VII starting at 7p).

Great movie. Episode VIII will have huge expectations.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Rissa, I couldn't resist reading your spoiler box (having already seen the movie), and though I don't remember any books, your storyline sounds probable.

Spoiler
I had the same feeling when I saw the movie that Rey was somebody's daughter (Han and Leia's perhaps?), but it was never clarified in this movie. When Leai hugged her when she returned from the Death Planet--or whatever it was called--it seemed like she knew who she was. I think it is probable that she is the twin sister of Kylo Ren (aka Ben Solo). Can't wait till 2017 for Part 8!

DS and I are going to see this again (2nd time) today. Woo hoo!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Interesting.

Spoiler
I thought Rey might be Luke's daughter but the thing about twins works well.

It's one of those rare movies that I'm considering seeing twice in the theater.

I agree with those who say the plot is similar to the original Star Wars but it was very well made nonetheless. A nice blend of familiar and new characters, the special effects were excellent and not overdone, a nice bit of humor, the story was solid and the acting was good. Plus history does repeat. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I am going to see it for the first time tomorrow, going with my friend and her mom. We are all old, LOL.....but should we see it in 3d or just regular?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It depends on how much you like 3D. Science fiction and big special effects are usually good material for 3D. But that only works well if you like 3D. Any movies I've seen in 3D I've been so distracted by the 3D that it hurts rather than enhances the experience. I end up watching the 3D more than the movie. So we saw it in regular but some people love 3D. Uh .... and since you mentioned age, I think young people like 3D more than older people (though my teenage DD's don't like 3D much either).

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
When we were deciding which to see, my son's fiancee, who had already seen it in 3D, recommended that we just go with regular.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I loathe 3D - it stresses me out. So I avoid it like the plague. Also it gives a lot of people including DH headaches.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Friday, January 08, 2016 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I had no choice but to see it in 3D - which i usually avoid - it was bearable (maybe because i had better 3D glasses then they usually give out) but i look forward to seeing it in 2D

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, January 08, 2016 - 7:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree. 3D was a fun gimmick for about five minutes. It's not for serious movie watching. It's frustrating though because the theaters with the biggest screens and best sound show 3D because they can charge more for it.

I'm also not a fan of too much CGI. It just looks fake and tiresome when it is overused. One of the things that I liked about The Force Awakens is they didn't over do the CGI.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, January 08, 2016 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks so much, my friend keeps saying she wants to see something in 3D so I will let her know the issues so she can pick another film to try out the 3D function.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, January 08, 2016 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
We saw it in 3D the first time, since that was all that was available when we bought the tickets. I hardly ever think 3D is worth the extra money. There were a few cool 3D moments (one shot of the Star Destroyer ship with the pointy end "coming out of the screen" at you, and one time something blew up and the particles "flew out" of the screen), but other than that I don't really remember that much about the 3D. The glasses are just annoying, especially since they never fit properly over my prescription glasses, and I'm constantly fiddling with them.

We saw it the second time in 2D, which was fine. I'm so glad we saw it with an enthusiastic audience of "Real" fans on opening night, because it was such a fun experience. Everyone was cheering and clapping for every major character. But when we saw it yesterday, my 15 yo DS said the theater was full of "casual fans." They only clapped for Han and Chewy. It was still fun to see it again. We talked about it all the way home, which is a big deal. DS has autism and is not a big talker. He was very animated talking about Star Wars, though.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, January 08, 2016 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
WOW, it was fabulous!!! I have questions, do we have a spoiler area? I don't want to ask a question that will give anything away.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 7:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think we can talk about anything that happened in the movie in these specific movie threads. There is another thread for spoiler free reviews. :-)

If you're at all concerned you can always put it in a spoiler box by typing:

\spoiler{put the text here}

Which looks like:

Spoiler
put the text here

It is a great movie. Very enjoyable.