TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 27, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Scary Movies - Old and New: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 27, 2015 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, September 04, 2015 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I found kind of a cool scary movie.

"The Monkey's Paw" (2013)

It's a supernatural story about a monkey's paw, and the owner of the paw gets three wishes. Problem is, the wishes get granted in the worst way they can be interpreted. I thought it was very entertaining.

eta: I have to say, in between me posting about a movie a enjoyed, I have probably watched 2 or 3 or 4 that I really disliked. Maybe I should post about those, too.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 5:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, do tell about the ones you didn't like too!

My teen and I watched Disturbia last night. I had forgotten how suspenseful it was. She loved it.
She also watched the Shining (Jack Nicholson one) recently and said she loved it. I think some of it is a slow build and she was getting a bit bored, but she stuck with it. It's such a part of pop culture. She didn't realize that's where "redrum" or the talking finger came from.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 12:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I really liked Disturbia, Brenda. It came along when I was really wanting something decent to show up.

Here are a couple I have liked over the past month.

Lovely Molly (2011)
It's about a troubled woman and her husband moving back into her father's house after he passes. But horrible memories of her childhood start haunting her. I really enjoyed this one.

Chained (2012)
Now this one was freaky! It has some really big stars in it. It's about a serial killer who takes the young son of one of his victims as a hostage. He actually raises him to adulthood while keeping him a slave while he continues his murdering ways. It has a great twist at the end!
It actually has Vincent D'Onofrio, Jake Weber, Gina Phillips and Julia Ormond in the cast.

One I didn't enjoy was
The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh (2012)
It's about a guy who inherits his oppressive mom's old house, and she haunts him. The twist is great, but the getting there was the torture. It was so friggin slow.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Disturbia is great if you don't like horror but you want something suspenseful.

I also liked both The Conjuring and The Purge when I thought I wouldn't.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I am always checking the scary movies in my cable on-demand, and I see one I am going to watch tomorrow night in STARZ on-demand.

"The Possession of Michael King" (2014)

It's about a guy who loses his wife to an accident. She believed in the after life, but he didn't.

So he is going to try to find out whether or not there is an after life by trying to conjure things from the afterlife.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 7:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That sounds interesting! It reminds me of Harry Houdini.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
"The Possession of Michael King (2014)" ended up not being all great. It took me 3 tries to finish it. I would say 3 out of 10 stars for a possession movie.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Oh jeez, here is one that is so good, yet low budget.

"Absentia" 2011

It's about a man who disappears in a tunnel near his home, and his wife and sister try to figure out the mystery. It's really scary. I recommend it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1610996/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 10:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I managed to watch 3 horribly violent scary movies in a row by accident. 2 were horrible, one was decent.

1. Panic Button (2011)
It's about some fame hungry 20 somethings put on a plane to head off and be on a reality show. Things don't turn out so well on the plane.

2. Vile (2011)
A group of 20 somethings wake in a room with a contraption attached to the back of their heads. The only way they can escape is to cause pain to everyone else in the room.

3. This is the one I thought was decent.
Hostel: Part III (2011)
A few guys head off to Vegas for bachelor party, but things don't end well. If you know the plot of 1 and 2, then you know they end up tortured.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 02, 2015 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
If you are a fan of "The Blair Witch Project", then you might like
Willow Creek (2013)

It is almost exactly like "The Blair Witch Project", except instead of looking for The Blair Witch, they are looking for Bigfoot.

As a matter of a fact, there are at least 2 scenes that seem exactly copied from Blair Witch....LOL

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 02, 2015 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I looooove Asian horror films. They really scare the crap out of me. Such as Ju-on and Ringu.

But I managed to find one of the worst this week. Even though it's horrible, it's one of those movies that's so bad that it's fun.

POV A Cursed Film (2012)

"As part of a talk show, Haruna and Mirai watch a ghost video submitted by a viewer, only to experience strange occurrences that later draw the crew to Haruna's school; the location of the taken video. "

This is the whole film on YOUTUBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWCWKXB1Oxw

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, October 05, 2015 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
For Halloween, let's list our favorite top 5 or more favorite scary movies. Maybe we will see something on each others lists we haven't seen before, and then we will have something new to watch for Halloween.

I'll think on my list until tomorrow. And let's try to limit it to the past 10 years only.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Ok, this isn't my all times fav list, just favs from the past 10 years. (no particular order)

1. Conjuring (2013)
2. The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
3. Sinister (2012)
4. The Strangers (2008)
5. The Devil's Rejects (2005)
6. Drag Me to Hell (2009)

Here are two further back:

Gothika (2003)
What Lies Beneath (2000)

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
BTW, I thought Sinister was so good that I bought the Blu-ray. That means I thought it was awesome. :-)

Abby7

07-17-2002

Friday, October 09, 2015 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
So many, but the first scary movie I remember: I was 9/10. My mom took us (3 older sisters) to see "whatever happened to baby Jane". Baby Jane/bette Davis so scary.

Melfie1222

07-29-2002

Friday, October 09, 2015 - 11:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Melfie1222 a private message Print Post    
So if we're only talking the past 10 years, here are a few of mine, also in no particular order:

1. The Descent (2005)
2. Let the Right One In (2008)
3. The Strangers (2008)

I almost forgot about The Strangers until you listed it Naja. I watched it one dark afternoon, and then coincidentally the power went out that night. That was not a happy evening.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 11:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Melfie, I have to agree The Descent scared me. It was very good.

"Let The Right One In" was awesome, waaaay better than the American version "Let Me In" with Chloƫ Grace Moretz.

I am sort of a Chloƫ Grace Moretz "anti-fan". She has ruined more than one horror movie remake. The remake of "Carrie" in 2013 really stunk.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, October 12, 2015 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Okay, I thought Let the Right One in was BORING! :-) Heard such good things about it.

I rented Carrie, the original, so the teen could watch it. She said she liked it better then the new one. I have not seen the new one -- no need to. Original left enough of an impression.

I also rented Psycho for her, but she hasn't watched yet.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Is anybody going to see the 6th Paranormal Activity movie "Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension"?

It looks much less organic than the first 5. Fancier produced ghosts and that sort of thing.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 10:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just remembered a movie that really scared me in the 80s.

"Bad Dreams" 1988

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i4j8Ezj1d4

It's about a girl who survives a cult's mass suicide, and after she wakes up from a several year coma, it seems the cult leader is still after her.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 23, 2015 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I managed to watch another bad one.
"Treehouse (2014)"

It looked so scary just from the cover! Take a look at the cover and let me know if you agree. It's the scariest looking treehouse I have ever seen.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3947933440/tt1791681

Anyway, I thought it was going to be about a scary treehouse, but it wasn't. Don't bother with this one. It's a story about kid killers and the young people looking for them spend a short time hiding in a treehouse.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 23, 2015 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I did this over the summer and it was so much fun, I thought it may be a fun idea for others on Halloween night.

I watched the original "Evil Dead (1981)" and the remake "Evil Dead (2013)" one after the other for comparison. They are so different and have such different production quality, it was not like watching the same movie at all. But it was very fun.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, October 26, 2015 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
There is a book I read a few years back called, Turn The Screw. I just found out it is based on an old movie called The Innocents. I Asked my husband to order it for us for Jalloween. Have you seen that one?
I've also got Wait Til dark per Ricky's recommendation in the que. We were invited to a couple Halloween parties but it's supposed to rain Sat night so I'm making popcorn balls, and silly party food for just the two of us and have a double feature.
The Resident is also scheduled but it doesn't show until Nov 4th

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 6:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That sounds like fun, Lakecat.

That's a cool idea, Naja. We just watched the remake of The Omen and I thought about doing something similar.

I'd have a harder time coming up with a list of recent favorites so I'm going to take the easy way and try to name a few of my all time favorites and why I enjoyed them.

1. The Shining: Perfect set, story and a great cast that looked the part.

2. The Cabin in the Woods: Very clever and great fun to watch.

3. Beetlejuice: Frantic and funny. We watch this every Halloween season.

4. Scream, etc.: Clever and a step above the usual in making fun of the genre. We went to a panel with some of the cast (including Neve Campbell, Skeet Ulrich, etc.) at Fan Expo this summer and that was fun as well.

5. The Ring: Just plain scary.

I don't know what to say about The Exorcist. It was just so horrible that I can't say that I enjoyed it. I don't know if that makes it good or bad?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 6:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Has anyone watched "Antiviral"? I wouldn't say it's exactly a horror movie though there are parts that are horror and parts science fiction. It's a small budget Canadian film that was directed by Brandon Cronenberg (who is David Cronenberg's son).

It takes place in the near future, where companies sell celebrity illnesses to their obsessed fans. So, for example, a celebrity's fans can experience the same cold that their favorite celebrity had. Uh and so on. Yes I know it sounds weird and it is.

As an aside, apparently they got the idea from a talk show interview where Sarah Michelle Gellar had a cold and joked that if she sneezed she'd infect everyone in the audience. And the audience started applauding.