TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 01, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Scary Movies - Old and New: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 01, 2015 users admin

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I tried to watch "The Taking of Deborah Logan" but gave up because of the shaky camera. It makes me nauseous when they do that and it doesn't make it a bit scarier.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I didn't mind the shaking so much in that movie because I felt like there wasn't a lot of it. Most of it was just regular fake documentary style. The shaking was when there was high action, and that wan't too much.

I liked the story that they were doing a documentary on a woman with Alzheimer's, and I jumped out of my seat a couple times. But like most scary movies, I thought it fell apart at the end. That seems to be the biggest problem with scary movies. Coming up with a decent ending.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014) was pretty good! But it's in the slasher category, and most people are just sick of those.

So while I had a ball watching it and being scared silly, I have no idea if others will like it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Of the four that I have watched so far from my list, I thought The Quiet Ones (2014) was the least scary. I still enjoyed it. It gave me flashback of "Exorcist II: The Heretic".

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just remembered a movie that scared the crap out of me. WOLF CREEK (2005)

It's about 3 backpackers in the Outback that get trapped by a serial killer.

This one is so terrifying.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Here is my to do list for the next couple weeks.

Unfriended (2014)
At the Devil's Door (2014)
The Appearing (2014)
Stage Fright (2014)

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
One movie I think is soooo friggin' good and I even bought the Blu-ray is "Sinister". It stars Ethan Hawke as a down on his luck author that moves his family into a neighborhood where a family was murdered in order to write a true crime type novel about the murders.

Really, this one is good. Very scary.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 10:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I thought of one great scary movie for anybody that hates blood but loves to be scared.

"The Mothman Prophecies". (2002)

Now that may be one of the the best plots in a scary movie I have ever seen.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I thought of another very scary one I actually liked enough to buy the Blu-ray.

Stir of Echoes (1999)

This is another plot driven scary movie. Super good!

"After being hypnotized by his sister in law, a man begins seeing haunting visions of a girl's ghost and a mystery begins to unfold around her"

Melfie1222

07-29-2002

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 11:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Melfie1222 a private message Print Post    
The Mothman Prophecies creeps the s* out of me! I've seen it several times and still get goosebumpy and can't stop thinking about it after. Wake up number 37.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Watched Babadook and Housebound with my teen tonight. Both movies she loved and recommended. I was impressed with the little boy in Babadook. I hope he was being prompted to do those things, not actually having her yell at him. Yikes. Housebound was pretty amusing. I laughed several times.

Also saw The Gift in the theater today. Not really a scary movie or horror, more of a suspense, thriller. We both liked it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 9:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I watched "Unfriended" last night and I have to say it was surprising entertaining.

The whole movie takes place on a girl's computer screen. We are watching a group video call between a group of high school friends. Pretty soon one of their deceased school friends joins the conversation. Yikes!

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I meant "surprisingly entertaining" :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I tried to watch "Stage Fright" today, but I just couldn't take it. It ends up that it is a musical comedy / Slasher film. I got to about the 3rd musical number with Meatloaf, and found it unbearable, so I gave up on it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
My DD had a sleepover and watched "Unfriended" last night. Her comments about it were remarkably identical to your comments, Naja. :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
That's because I'm still a teen at heart when it comes to scary movies :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
After I decided to skip Stage Fright today, I went digging through HBO on-demand horror movies to see if anything new had been added.

I found a Spanish movie with English subtitles called "El Callejon". The English name to it according to IMDB is "Blind Alley".

It was nice and short (70 mins), and pretty darn scary! LOL It's one of those movies where the synopsis purposely misleads you so the the actual story is more shocking. I enjoyed it. It wasn't great, but worth my 70 minutes :-)

It's about a girl trapped in a laundry mat with a serial killer.
(^^misleading synopsis^^)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1703911/reference

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, August 17, 2015 - 6:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Was Unfriended particularly gruesome or scary? My DD has expressed an interest, but I tried to steer her away from it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, August 17, 2015 - 8:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I asked my DD and she said that people die in gruesome ways.

Examples:
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
Hand in a blender, vacumn cleaner hose down someone's throat, etc.

There is a lot of swearing including the f word. The depiction of Facebook and the computer screens is also quite realistic.

How scary is it? That kind of depends on what scares you.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
For quite a few years there has been this tetralogy of movies nagging at me to watch. So I finally gave in since all four of the movies are in MAX on-demand. I am talking about the "Wishmaster" tetralogy.

All I can say is that first and last movies in series are the only watchable ones, and none of them are very scary. I think they tried to be scary but ended more funny than scary.

In general, the series is about a devil genie that is released by one person finding this precious stone. If the Genie can grant 3 wishes to the person who found the gemstone, then all the evil genies will be released from hell and there will be Armageddon. It's the same story over and over with some differences in all the movies.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I should have mentioned that all of Wishmaster series of movies was released between 1997 and 2002.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, August 21, 2015 - 4:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
My husband and I watched Unfriended per TVCH posts. We both liked it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 28, 2015 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Oh goodness, I found one for any babysitter to show the the kids. And if you are afraid of clowns, this movie won't help :-)

All Hallows' Eve (2013)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2900624/reference

The basic story is a young boy gets a VHS tape in his treat bag while trick or treating. His babysitter lets them watch some of it and the horror starts :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Wes Craven has passed away at 76 :-(

He is most famous for his producing and directing the "Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Scream" movies. Needless to say, he was an icon for us horror movie fans.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34104752

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I didn't realize Craven had done the Scream series. Those were fun!