TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 14, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Scary Movies - Old and New: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 14, 2015 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 17, 2015 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Scout, I finally watched "Stonehearst Asylum". I really enjoyed it but it didn't seem like a scary movie to me. So I went looking around and surprisingly enough most places online did have it placed in the genre of horror. For me it was sort of funny, with a mystery to the story. It didn't seem scary to me, even though "horror" is the genre most places put it.

I really did enjoy it, though :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 17, 2015 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Uncle_ricky, I love old scary movies like that! Have you ever seen "Sorry, Wrong Number" starring Barbara Stanwyck? It's from 1948. I just saw it a couple weeks ago again on cable.

I remember seeing it late at night for the first time when I was about 10 years old in the 70s. It always scares me no matter how much I see it. I think mostly because I remember how I felt when I little seeing it the first time...LOL

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 1:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Sorry Wrong Number is awesome. So that would be considered a thriller, right? I'm going to try the Audrey Hepburn movie.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Yes, I would consider it a thriller, Lakecat.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
"Sorry, Wrong Number" is definitely a thriller, yes, and one of the very best! Always loved Ms. Stanwyck, especially when she played tough-talking women like the conniving housewife in "Double Indemnity" - that one wasn't scary, but it was really fun to watch her twirl Fred MacMurray around her little finger!

Lakecat, please share what you think of "Wait Until Dark" - I've seen that thing at least 20 times. I'll be shocked if you don't enjoy immensely.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Figures, I thought I had it, I don't. I had it in the DVR cue for months because it sounded good, but it got deleted because Id never heard of it and made room for something else. I'll have to do a search On Demand. It does turn up on regular TV every so often though.

Melfie1222

07-29-2002

Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Melfie1222 a private message Print Post    
Brenda1966, maybe Rear Window (if she's willing to watch an 'old' movie from the 50's :-)) or the newer remake Disturbia? I wouldn't call them horror films, but they are both sort of scary while not really gory. There's probably more violence in Disturbia if I remember, but the whole plot of both movies is watching some scary things from a distance.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Thanks! I'll get disturbia from Netflix. she watched the Exorcist and seemed to like that.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
If she liked the Exorcist then I'd say she could watch practically anything.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 10:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
LOVED Disturbia!

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 1:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I suggest 1992's "Candyman". That is one of my top 3 favs for sure.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree that "Candyman" was very good. I probably should know this but what are your other two?

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, they change all time....LOL
I used to say Candyman was my favorite, but ever so often I think something else is.

But right now I will say Gothika and "The Others" and the Original Halloween are up there.

Ask me in a couple months and it will change :-)

See, now more are coming to mind. "Drag Me to Hell", "The Ring" and a Swedish movie called "Let the Right One In".

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I thought of an older one that is one of my all time favs. The first "Phantasm" (1979).

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
See, now more are coming to mind. "Drag Me to Hell", "The Ring" and a Swedish movie called "Let the Right One In".

I know all of those and they are all very good. I'll have to check out the other ones you mentioned.

I can't remember. Did you like "Cabin in the Woods"?

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Yes, I loved Cabin in the Woods.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I thought so. That was a fun clever movie!

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I thought of a more of a thriller type scary movie for Lakecat.
The Resident (2011)

It stars Hillary Swank as a single woman moving into a new apartment, but her landlord seems too good to be true, and strange things start happening.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I don't think the exorcist is really that scary, not if you're not religious and don't believe in the devil. I guess if you do, it could be terrifying.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I'll look into it. Sounds like my kind of movie.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 10, 2015 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
These are the scary movies I have lined up to watch as soon as time permits. All pretty recent and got decent reviews from Horror fans.

It Follows (2014)
The Quiet Ones (2014)
The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014)
The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014)
Woman in Black 2 (2014)

I'll let ya'll know whether I thought they were actually good.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 3:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
It Follows I've been mulling over. I'm too tight to pay for it yet,but it was 107 degrees here yesterday so spending lots of time indoors.
Wait Til Dark came up and it's set to record sometime this week.

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Naja - I've seen two of the ones on your list.
I thought "The Woman in Black 2" was pretty good.

I just recently watched "The Quiet Ones". It was okay - not the greatest storyline, but definitely not the worst I've seen.

I want to see the other ones you have on your list, also.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 9:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Oh good, I was hoping Woman in Black 2 was good. I thought since it was a sequel, it might not be good.

I am going to try to start pecking away at my list tomorrow night. Friday is the night I don't have many tv shows. As well as Saturday.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I watched "It Follows" last night. It started out so interesting and creepy, but I thought the ending was really weak. I was scared to go in the garage alone after I watched....LOL