TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 17, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Scary Movies - Old and New: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 17, 2015 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Hi, I am starting this thread for anybody to come to and post about a scary movie they have seen. Old or new, it doesn't matter.

Recommend it or diss it. It doesn't matter.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was perusing through on-demand to check for scary movies I haven't seen, and I ran across "Lake Mungo" from 2008.

Since I had never heard of it, I was expecting it to be just your run of the mill paranormal activity movie. But it sure wasn't just that!

It's filmed in the documentary style. (not found footage, which is shaky and hard to watch).

I would say I was halfway through the movie before I realized this is really good. I recommend it :-)

It's one of those movies where you think "Oh, it's over, no mystery here", and then the real mystery starts :-)

imbd: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816556/reference

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I guess I should have mentioned "Lake Mungo" is a movie trying to unfold the mystery behind a teenage girl's drowning.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 7:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Naja - I haven't seen Lake Mungo, but will have to check it out. I never watch the shaky footage movies and didn't know if this would have that too. Those are just too hard to watch.

I just watched "Stonehearst Asylum" and thought it was very good. It's based on a Poe short story, set in England at the turn of the 20th century.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 11:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Scout, I just downloaded it. I'll try to watch it this weekend.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Naja, since you are the queen of scary movies, I'm wondering if you could recommend a few for my 13 year old daughter. She cannot tolerate gore or violence. Horror films she has enjoyed are Housebound and Scream. Any ideas for her? She so wants to watch "horror movies", but she just doesn't have the emotional strength for most of them. Shows like Criminal Minds are a bit too much for her as well. She needs something mild. I'm of no help as I really don't enjoy horror films much.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 5:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Scream is pretty violent so now I'm not sure. Based on her liking Scream I'd suggest "I Know What You Did Last Summer" which is a surprisingly good little movie. I also loved "Beetlejuice" which has a few scary moments but is mostly fun.

Naja is the Queen though so I'm sure she can think of a few good ones. :-)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 6:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I think she did okay with Scream because of the humor element. I'll have to ask if she's tried I Know What you Did Last Summer. I think she watched Would You Rather? I really wish she'd just watch a comedy instead, but it's very much a teenager thing to want to watch scary movies.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well "Beetlejuice" is very funny. Have you seen it?

"Scream" was very funny and clever in parts but it was also surprisingly violent. "I Know What You Did Last Summer" has a few funny moments but it's much more serious.

Yep. Watching scary movies is a teen thing. My DD just attended a birthday party where they watched the Ouija board one and that one with the doll "Annabelle". LOL - We saw a real life Annabelle when they were promoting the movie at Fan Expo last year.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 7:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Ew about creepy doll movies! :-)

She saw Beetlejuice long ago and didn't like it, but I will suggest a revisit now that she is older. I think she also watched Carrie, the remake. Perhaps the old one would be good, if it's on Netflix.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm surprised she didn't like Beetlejuice but she was probably way too young to like it if she saw it a long time ago.

The original Carrie was a good horror movie but I didn't enjoy it. It was a pretty depressing story and I just felt sorry for her ...
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
before she killed everyone at the end.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 8:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I don't even remember it ended that way. I just remember the prom scene and the knives flying around the kitchen? And the grave at the end. Okay, maybe Carrie is NOT a good option. LOL. I have to close my eyes at half the previews I see for horror movies these days. While I sat through Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th movies as a teen, I do not have the stomach for it these days.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I like horror movies but I'm not a fan of any of the Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th movies. I just didn't find them entertaining.

Ya I don't think Carrie is a good option for someone who enjoys a little humor with their horror and is sensitive to violence.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh now that I think about it one of my absolute favorite horror movies is "Cabin in the Woods". But I'm not sure that she would understand it.

Has she watched any of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"? My DD absolutely loved it. Not the movie though. The TV series. The early seasons were especially good. It is a great series. It's important to watch it in sequence though starting with the first season.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Thanks. I'll suggest Buffy. I think she got a bit over vampired with all the Twilight stuff, but maybe she'll give it a try.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
My DD read the Twilight series too. She liked the books better than the movies (I agree with her) but she really loved Buffy. Totally different types of vampires though. Buffy is a fun series. Good mix of scares, humor, teenage stuff, romance and surprisingly clever writing.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I always felt like Blair Witch Project was a great scary movie for kids. Because really anything scary in it is all in your imagination.

As for more recent, maybe Oculus and Babadook. Oh, and "The Innkeepers" is great for all ages. On second thought, Oculus may be too scary.

I think all the Paranormal Activity movies are ok as well.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I can't remember if I ever asked you but have you seen "Event Horizon"? It's a mix of science fiction and horror. I haven't watched it in years but I remember it being very scary (and I don't find much that is scary). By the way, this is a great idea for a thread, Naja!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 8:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Can someone recommend a scary movie that could really happen? I'm not into creatures, sci-fi or paranormal. My favorite scary movie was The Hitcher.
Well I say I don't like paranormal but loved the old movie The Innocents. I just haven't seen many scary movies

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Funny maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. My husband started watching walking Dead and we are on episode 3 and we are hooked. I guess I don't mind creatures afterall.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 6:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I was trying to think of ones that fit your criteria but I haven't come up with anything so far.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 8:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I think you need to look under the category of "thriller", not horror. The Hitcher was a really intense movie. How about something like Panic Room. If you look up a movie on Netflix or IMDB they often have a "people who liked this movie also liked..." section to give you ideas of other films in that vein.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Yes I loved panic room too. Psychological thrillers I guess would be the genre.

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
The Frighteners, with Michael J. Fox might be good for a young teen.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, July 17, 2015 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm sure everyone and their mother has seen Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" (1960) but it definitely ranks very high on any list of scariest movies of all time.

And even though it's not a scary movie (more of a thriller), I vividly recall everyone in the theater screaming their heads off during the climactic scene of "Wait Until Dark" (1967) wherein blind-lady Audrey Hepburn is terrorized by bad guys Alan Arkin, Richard Crenna and Jack Weston. I saw it opening weekend (at age 9) and was thrilled beyond description when the final scene unfolded -- totally delicious! Ms. Hepburn was Oscar-nominated for the role, too.