TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 20, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Documentary Fans?: Archive through December 20, 2013 users admin

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
The UP series of films is also streaming on Netflix. So if you are not a netflix member, you could always do their free trial period.

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
Mameblanche, you can watch the Up series on youtube

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 4:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Brenda, and Zeyna, those are both great ideas!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Just watched 'Ken Burns: The Central Park Five' and though it was difficult to watch, I found it very thought provoking. I was left angry and sad. A balance from the police and prosecutors should have been included, but they declined participation (no surprise). Historian Craig Steven Wilder had a quote in the film that hit the mark. I couldn't find the one I wanted, but this excerpt from a review of the film reflects the other quote's tone...

The film is clearly outraged, but the overall sentiment is that expressed by historian Craig Steven Wilder (who plays one of the most engaging parts of the story’s relation) – not to hold up a mirror to society in order to learn from the mistakes made but simply to acknowledge the badness of the people involved, and the capacity for all of us to be bad. One of the most enduring messages of the film is that the young men’s innocence only attracted a whisper in comparison to the coverage of their initial trials: thanks to public outrage and media sensationalism, the story of five black and Latino youths raping a white woman was more worthy of note than the revelation of truth later.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/cannes-review-the-central-park-five-sgall.php

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 4:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I was very moved by "Girl Rising" -

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I just checked out the 'Girl Rising' trailer on You Tube. Thanks for mentioning it as it looks good. I'm sure I will need to have Kleenex handy.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Just thought I'd mention along for anyone interested that 56 Up, the latest installment in the Michael Apted series, has finally arrived on Netflix streaming... yay!

I just watched it and will ditto what Brenda said above as it was well stated:

I would say that this episode doesn't have any real riveting revelations. It's like getting caught up with old friends. I'm glad I went to see it and it gives me things to think about in my own life and how we age and how we look back on things and how we feel about things.

If you're a fan of the series, you'll definitely enjoy it.

A few other docs I've watched and enjoyed on Netflix recently:

Billionaire - I regretted that I omitted this from my last posted list here as this was a fascinating doc. A wealthy entrepreneur, a co-founder of shipping giant DHL (the H in DHL), dies suddenly in his adopted home country of Saipan. In the aftermath of his death, previously unknown details about his lifestyle come to light revealing a seedy underbelly, several children, and greedy businessmen and politicians all trying to get their hands on a billion dollar fortune. Really, really interesting.

Girl Model - A look at the business of importing models from Siberia to the Asian markets. Told from the point of view of a bizzaro model scout who appears to be... mentally unhinged? I have mixed feelings about this doc. The human trafficking element is disturbing, as are most of the people involved. I just felt a little sick to my stomach after watching it.

Meet the Fokkens - Louise and Martine Fokkens are twin sisters who have worked in Amsterdam's Red Light district for more than 50 years. A fascinating look at the history of the Red Light district and the lives of two interesting and colorful ladies. I really enjoyed this.

The Flat - Arnon's 98 year old grandmother dies; he and his family proceed to pack up and clean out her flat in Tel Aviv where she has lived for decades. This leads to several shocking discoveries which lead Arnon on a journey to learn more about his grandparents and their unlikely friendship with a known Nazi.

That Guy Who Was In That Thing - Features 18 notable character actors talking about life as a character actor. Many of them you won't know by name but will recognize instantly because they've all been in so many things. Enjoyed this more than I expected to.

Three Stars - Focusing on a number of Michelin-starred chefs from a number of different countries. What it takes to earn and keep a Michelin star, changing attitudes about the rating system, and the business of running a top restaurant.

The Woman Who Wasn't There - The unbelievable but true story of a woman who, in the aftermath of 9/11, becomes an active and well known figure within the 9/11 survivors community. With her heartbreaking story of losing her fiance and barely escaping death herself, she becomes an inspiration to many survivors. The only problem... she wasn't actually there. She wasn't even in America on 9/11. This was a really well done doc.

All for now. Enjoy!!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thank you for the recommendations, Jezzedout! I did see 'The Woman Who Wasn't There'... unbelievable. I'll be sure to check out the others. :-)

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Watched Three Stars yesterday and completely aside from whether or not I enjoyed it.... made me determined to never eat at any of those restaurants. LOL The thought of some sweaty guy breathing on my food 4 inches from the plate for the long minutes it takes to arrange a single dot of food on top of a single string of some other food.... LOL Gross and unappetizing all in one image. Was an interesting doc though.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
These are not feature length docs, but I think they were well worth seeing:

Herman's House, about a man who has been in solitary confinement for 41 years (!!!) in Louisiana's Anglola prison. An artist learns about him and wants to find out what his perfect house would look like when he gets out, then sets out to build it for him.

Only the Young, about three straightedge teens in Canyon Country, CA and their friendship. It follows Kevin, Garrison, and Skye as they bond, as their friendship is tested, and as Skye's grandfather faces foreclosure on his home. I just watched this a couple nights ago and, while it sounds utterly boring, it's just a monumental little diamond of a film with sensational photography, wit, and tons of heart.

Both these are part of the PBS "POV" series and are available there.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Tishala, I watched Only the Young. It was so good and left me in tears a few times.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 11:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Just watched a fun one on PBS Independent Lens called "Don't Stop Believing: Everyman's Journey". As you can guess it's about the band Journey and how they found their latest lead singer from the Phillipines. As a huge Journey fan in the 80's I'm not sure how this story slipped by me. It's an engaging film, a Cinderella story.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, October 21, 2013 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I remember back when Journey first found him. My brother and I were on skype for hours watching this guy's youtube videos from his band before Journey, doing Journey covers. Since both my brother and were in HS during the 80s, of course Journey is a part of us. I can't wait to watch it! Thanks for mentioning it, Brenda.

I remember when they first found him, both my brother and I wondered if he could lose his Filipino accent on some words. He's done so well! If you listen to a recent performance compared to one from his first year with Journey, it's such an improvement.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, October 21, 2013 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It's not in my tv listings in the next 2 weeks, but I found it at kickass.to

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, October 21, 2013 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I had recorded it a few weeks ago. I'm glad you're able to find it. I really enjoyed it. Gave me goosebumps a few times. Gosh, if I had known how good he was I might have gone to see Journey since Steve Perry left! Saw them once in the early 80's. Was a member of their fan club and everything. Wish I still had that concert t-shirt. :-)

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
It is a great documentary and he is such a sweetheart!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I loved it!

Last night, I watched Life According to Sam. Sam Berns has Progeria. He has such a spark and such an intelligence.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
I recently watched a really great documentary titled You've Been Trumped that apparently had a small run sometime last year. I'm not sure why I had never heard of it but it popped up on Netflix streaming this month and I decided to check it out.

The film is about Donald Trump's plan to develop a golf resort on a stretch of pristine land along the Aberdeenshire coast in Scotland. No matter that it was one of the most ecologically unique places in the world and they would have to destroy it to build the resort. No matter that there were already people living on parts of the land. No matter that there are already plenty of golf resorts in Scotland.

The film does not paint Trump, or his offspring Donald Jr., in a flattering light. Trump and company's treatment of the local residents who refused to sell and protested against "compulsory purchase orders" was so overt it was simply heartbreaking to watch.

The filmmakers did a really nice job of telling this story. It grabbed my attention from the start and held it throughout. By the way, this situation is still unfolding. Now that I'm aware of it I've been reading up online and I think it is going to be interesting to see how things work out. I'm astonished Trump has so far not been held punishable somehow for his actions towards the locals, but it looks like at least the court of public opinion is finally swinging in their direction.

Oh, and You've Been Trumped features music by Jonsi! (Are there any other Sigur Ros fans around here?)

I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend this film.

Easily the best documentary of this year in my opinion.

Here's a trailer:

http://www.youvebeentrumped.com/...

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 7:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Watched You've been Trumped a couple days ago. Could have cut out a bit of the soundtrack and edited it down just 10-15 minutes but very interesting and I would recommend it as well. As with most of these documentaries I went hunting for follow-up information. All I could find is that the golf course opened to less than enthusiastic feedback (too American in style, sucked all the Scottish character out of the development), that Trump's relationship with the First Minister has apparently become cooler and that Michael Forbes is still in his home but still under threat of compulsory purchase order (in spite of/or again after what was said in the film). Would love to hear more if anyone has additional or better information.

Oh, Michael Forbes was awarded the Spirit of Scotland award (or TopScot) in a national/annual contest sponsored by Glenfiddich. Trump said what you expect Trump to say that all of Scotland is disgusted by this and are embarrassed by Forbes. He also said all his golf courses would boycott the Glenfiddich products. The company put out a release saying they sponsor the event but it was the Scottish people who voted for Forbes not them. BBC article about award

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Oh, I wanted to add another recommendation: Running on the Sun: The Badwater 135

Forty runners compete in the most grueling race on earth, the Badwater. The film documents the trials and tribulations of these athletes as they run 135 miles through Death Valley in July and explores the motivations behind this seemingly masochistic contest. A celebration of the perseverance of the human will beyond the limits of the human body.

This type of documentary rings my bell but a warning to those with sensitive stomachs. Running this race does things to human skin that not everyone will want to see. LOL

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
At Brenda's suggestion, I brought this over from News and Views:

Speaking of Nazi-era thievery, I recently watched a documentary on the losses Billy Joel's family incurred at the hands of the Nazis.

Summary of the documentary - at www.piano-man

The Joel Files Documentary - at youtube

The Neckermann granddaughter was a real low-light of the situation. Billy Joel and his half-brother, a celebrated Austrian conductor, are models of reconciliation and acceptance. I was very impressed with them both.

The documentary itself is not as thorough as I would have liked it to be - I had many questions when it was over (hence the article), but the story is compelling.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Billy Joel discusses the situation at the beginning of his interview on "Inside the Actor's Studio."

Youtube

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Friday, December 20, 2013 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I just watched Blackfish on Netflix. It really hurts to see how the whales are treated. It changed my opinion of SeaWorld.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, December 20, 2013 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The Toronto Star newspaper did a big expose on Marineland (near Niagara Falls Canada). They really went after them with claims they mistreat the animals and provide inadequate and inappropriate facilities and care.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, December 20, 2013 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Marineland got villified in Blackfish also.

I see both sides of this, and I wish the animals were treated better.

However, I also am well aware that exposure to these animals has made millions more aware of, and more protective of them in the wild.

I know DS was quite sad for the dolphins we fed at SeaWorld, in a fairly small enclosure, and begging for treats.

But when he saw the orca show, it completely changed his mind about "killer whales." In a positive way. I think it's like that for many people.

I'm not sure they can be kept in captivity in a positive way, but I think they need to more closely follow the model of modern zoos, which seek to provide a more and more natural environment. And not so much dependence on training them to do tricks.