TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 02, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (for the elderly and beautiful): Archive through March 02, 2013 users admin

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
LOVE this movie. There is a wonderful use of actors. The sights and sounds of India are breathtaking in spots. The soundtrack is worth buying, too.

Judi Dench is wonderful, and Maggie Smith pretty much steals every scene she's in.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Darrell, I loved it too, and loved the extraordinary cast, especially Judy Dench and Dev Patel.

FYI - There are 2 formidable actresses from Downton Abbey, Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton (Isobel Crawley).

It's wonderful to see a movie that's actually character and plot driven, and NOT about explosions, or T & A. Or exploding T & A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDY89LYxK0w

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
Not ever theater is showing it yet.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
It is everywhere here, so I am looking forward to seeing it soon!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, May 28, 2012 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Loved LOVED loved this movie and everything about it!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, May 28, 2012 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
It was well worth the wait!! Anyone else find themselves the youngest in the theatre though? LOL Hubby and I are kissing 50 and we had at LEAST 15-20 yrs on anyone else there. We were all alone in the top row because half the folks couldn't make it up the stairs (theatre was half full - bottom half). Amusing but also kinda sad that a movie of this quality wouldn't attract a more diverse audience.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, May 28, 2012 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I LOVE Judi Dench and Maggie Smith!

I have found that the age of the audience depends a whole lot on the time of day you attend!

I am looking so forward to seeing this movie! Hopefully in the next day or two!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, May 28, 2012 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Lol - We went to the early (cheap) matinee and yes there were lots of older folks. I just figured that if you're past 50 and getting closer to retirement or you're are already there, then you can relate alot more to what the characters were feeling and going through.

Kellee

07-07-2004

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellee a private message Print Post    
I loved this movie, the actors were amazingly good in their roles. I have to say I was the youngest at 37 was the youngest there.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, June 11, 2012 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. What a great cast. While it was kind of predictable, the acting was really top notch. I went out of the movie thinking about how complacent I've become in life, not taking chances and I'm nowhere near their age. Loved Judi Dench and Maggie Smith (who can do more with a disapproving look on her face than any other actor I've ever watched!)

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
She has that 'look-down-her-nose-at-others' bit honed to a science.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Oh, and if you haven't seen Judi Dench in 'Mrs. Brown' , do watch it. That woman can say more with her face than just about any other actress.

The only other actress I've seen that in was Joan Allen in 'The Crucible'.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have a friend in Maryville - right outside of Knoxville - who says that this movie has not come to the area. Is it on limited release for some reason?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
It's an art house time film, so would likely play at Landmark type theaters, although it has spread out a bit here.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
It is definitely in mass market type theaters here! I wouldn't necessarily have identified Nashville as an artsy market -

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
LOVED it! I went to the first showing today and was definitely the youngest one in the theater! However, since there were only about a dozen of us, that isn't quite as impressive. LOL

I have to say, having 3 of the Calendar Girls together made me happy - and intend to watch it again tomorrow as a result. :-)

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Friday, June 22, 2012 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
Calandar Girls is one of my favorite movies. I heard that The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is out in Bluray now.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, June 22, 2012 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'd imagine it would be a pirated copy if it's in Bluray as it wasn't released until May of this year.

ETA: Went looking and saw that it was released in the UK and Ireland in Feb. so maybe it's been released on video there. Is Bluray region specific like DVDs?

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 7:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
What a joy to be able to walk out of a movie with a smile on your face. Every silly early detail ends up necessary for the plot.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Just got it from the library and loved it just like all the rest of you did. Dame's Judi and Maggie are outstanding and deserving all the accolades they've ever received. They are in a class all by themselves.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Glad you liked it OG.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I had the DVD pre-ordered. I've only watched it once so far, but this is going to be up there with Ya Yas, The Way and Calendar Girls. Whenever I need a feel-good movie, I'll watch it. :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
It was my fave movie of the year. :-)

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I'm down to #69 out of 412 on my library's waiting list. Hurry up people!! I may just have to rent it thru Amazon Instant Video.

:-)

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
As Ive said before,I think I might be experiencing some hearing loss,seems everyone on TV mumbles,especially with accents. Do the actors have heavy English accents? In other words do you have to intently listen to catch everything they say? Ive been wanting to see this but the English accents are making me reluctant.