TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Oscars!

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Oscars! users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 24, 2013Rieann25 02-24-13  6:06 pm
Archive through February 24, 2013Kookliebird25 02-24-13  7:12 pm
Archive through February 24, 2013Pippin0425 02-24-13  7:53 pm
Archive through February 24, 2013Kookliebird25 02-24-13  9:19 pm
Archive through February 25, 2013Misspoufy25 02-25-13  7:12 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
Misspoufy, I TOTALLY agree with you!

I, personally, would rather have Billy Crystal or Steve Martin host, or Robin Williams. They are funny and very quick with appropriate, sharp comebacks!

Smokey

07-08-2003

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 11:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
I really like McFarlane as host. Some of his jokes weren't awesome, but he's a very appealing and talented character. My favorite host from recent years has been Steve Martin, though. I think the Academy made a mistake not keeping him on all these years.

Ditto to all you've said. Seth McFarlane is loved by the younger generations--my kids. I actually expected worse from him. He is very talented and I thought they could have utilized his talents more than his flavor of jokes. I don't mind him as much as some do.

And I agree about Steve Martin. I love him.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed Seth myself. He's a very likeable guy with a great number of skills (singing, dancing, cartooning). Some jokes worked and some didn't, but isn't that what always happens at the Oscars. It was much better than Anne and James last year.

In the interview that I read, Seth said that it took almost a year preparing for the Oscars. He would not do it again because it took so much time from all his other endeavors. So, I think that's why it's so hard to find a good host that will continue to do it year after year.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, I liked Seth too, and I thought the show was entertaining, the parts I watched. I didn't sit through the whole show, I was watching Amazing Race, but I didn't switch over until Barbra finished singing.

Bummed I missed the last song, Kathy Griffin said it was great.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I would have never thought to look under the Movies tab.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I too enjoyed Seth,but I love The Family Guy.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
I didn't watch the Oscars last night, but I've seen plenty of coverage of Jennifer Lawrence today. I hope she wasn't too embarrassed, because I thought it was one of the prettiest stumbles I've seen. :-) I wish I could trip so gracefully.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
I didn't even know that guy. Seems like someone I'd see on Celebrity Apprentice and ask who is that???

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
Capt. Kirk was right about worst host ever. Jimmy Kimmel's show was a great Oscar show with fun jokes & satire twists of all the nominated movies.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I didn't care for Seth, but I LOVED the focus on all the musicals.

Holly

07-21-2001

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
I would have never thought to look under the Movies tab.

No kidding!

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I had a heck of a time finding this thread. Duh! Under 'Movies'...who could have ever guessed that.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
use the new message feature, thats how I find things

Dovez

08-27-2005

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dovez a private message Print Post    
we finally watched the entire show last night and found it rather refreshing. hit or miss jokes but i like seth.

for those who haven't seen beasts of the southern wild and like lyrical independent films then make a point of seeing this one.
the young actress does mostly voice over for the entire film and how that much wisdom exhibits itself in one so young is beyond me.
this is not a film for those who like action. it is about human emotions and struggles and the fortitude that it takes to survive.
loved it, loved it, loved it.

as for the rest of the winners:
i'm very happy for the argo win and equally happy for the many wins of life of pi. i think that all of the acting wins were deserved as this was a year of unqualified acting triumphs.

all in all, a good night.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Wow, I really really really disliked Beasts of the Southern Wild. I am hard pressed to think of a single reason to recommend that anyone see it. I enjoy most independent films and had been looking forward to seeding it. What a disappointment.
I lived in New Orleans for several years and am familiar with much of the storytelling. This really missed the mark.

I also thought Zero Dark 30 was a snoozefest.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I loved Beasts of the Southern Wild, and I'm hoping to use it in my dual enrollment class next year!

I was pleased that so many good films were honored; it wasn't a "clean sweep" by just one film.

NOT a fan of McFarland, though.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Its Oscar time! First time in years I feel there is a major snub... "All is Lost"/Robert Redford was not nominated at all... I haven't seen the other movies to see if Redford deserved to win it all this year but he definitely deserved a nomination!!!!!

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/2014-oscars--complete-list-of-nominees-and-winners-201452624.html

Windowbox

05-10-2011

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Windowbox a private message Print Post    
I thought Tom Hanks got a snub for playing in Captain Phillips. I thought for sure he would get a nod.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I think there were just too many really impressive male leads this season. I'm glad they finally gave a nod to Leo. It's long overdue. I don't think he'll win though.

I'm mostly disappointed that Saving Mr. Banks didn't get a Best Pic nod. It's a wonderful film.

I have a ton of films to try and see now. Blue JAsmine and Capt Phillips come out on DVD soon, so will wait for those and Redbox them. Am hoping to get to the theater to see Dallas Buyers Club and 12 Years a Slave this weekend. Would also like to see Osage County and Nebraska.

Holly

07-21-2001

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Has Leo ever won before, I can't remember? I think he's a great actor and hope he gets it too.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
According to IMDB he's been nominated 3 times prior but never won. I don't have a lot of hope of him winning this time, but I'm glad he's been invited to the party.

94 - Gilbert Grape
2005 - The aviator
2007 - Blood Diamond

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I would love to see Leo win, but agree with Brenda and don't think he has much of a chance this year. He was brilliant in Wolf of Wall Street, but has very strong competition.
I fell in love with Leo as an actor in Gilbert Grape. I was convinced that part was played by someone who was really developmentally challenged. My favorite performance of his though, was in The Aviator. He was chilling as Howard Hughes and that's the role I think he should have won an award for.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Friday, January 17, 2014 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Since this years nominations, all I heard on TV was how Lee Daniels The Butler, was snubbed.

Now I did not see this film in the theater, but we saw it was now on demand. So we had to watch it.

It is a little on the dull side. I know everyone loves Oprah but she really does not act well in this film.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Friday, January 17, 2014 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I was very sorry to see Saving Mr. Banks was not nominated. I really enjoyed the film.

Panda

07-15-2005

Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
The only movie I saw that was nommed (besides Frozen for animation), was American Hustle and I thought it was great. Loved Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence in it. Actually they all were good!

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
I have seen none of the movies this year. First time that has happened. In my younger days, a friend and would make sure we had seen every movie nominated for best picture. In those days it was only 5, so we had usually seen a few of them, and once the nominations came out we rushed to see the rest. It makes watching the Oscars more fun, but I do enjoy seeing the stars and what they are wearing!!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw them all this year! All 9 of them! Plus all the films with acting and screenwriting noms. Haven't done that in ages. Am excited for tonight -- I love OScar night. That said, there's isn't a film I'm really jumping for joy about, not like some years. There are a lot of good solid films here, most very deserving. I do hope Frozen wins for Animation feature.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
It's funny...i was thinking this is the best group of films we've had in years. There may not be a huge epic among them, but they are all quite strong and deserving of nominations, unlike some years.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: