TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 11, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Documentary Fans?: Archive through September 11, 2012 users admin

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Wasn't it great Maime! My daughter and I watched and both thoroughly enjoyed it. Great story of a person fulfilling a lifelong dream.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 6:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
it took me FOREVER to find this on the schedule. it was under "Independent Lens: Being Elmo", I have it set to record in a couple of days, so I don't miss it.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
landi, I'm sorry. I should have put that it was on Independent Lens. I'd been wanting to watch it for such a long time and was so excited to see it was on last night. It was just joyous and uplifting. He brings so much joy into so many lives. I can only imagine the joy he gets back. But he was so inspired at such an early age to be a puppeteer. We can all only wish we have such determination in our lives.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Being Elmo is also streaming on Netflix.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I just watched 'Being Elmo' this morning and loved it. I streamed it on Netflix. Some TVCH'ers (maybe those of you above) were recommending it in another thread (can't remember what one). I just adore Kevin Clash now. It was great to see what encouraging parents and mentors can do to help a child flourish.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Glad you liked it Rieann. We were talking about it in the Celebrity Apprentice thread because they are doing puppets next week. It really is a great film, even for non-muppet fans.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Elmo is, without a doubt, my favorite with Cookie Monster a strong second. I don't know how many of y'all watch Top Chef, but last year on All-Stars, Cookie Monster, Tellymonster and Elmo were guest judges for the Quickfire and they were hilarious. I must have re-watched that Quickfire ten times from my DVR before finally deleting.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We loved that Top Chef episode, too! I show an Elmo show to my Spanish class "Buen Provecho" and even high school kids love it. :-) I won't have enough free time to watch Being Elmo this weekend, but it's on my wish list for next weekend.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 11:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thank you Brenda! I drove myself nuts trying to remember in what thread I saw the discussion.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 5:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
The past couple of days I have been watching and enjoying several of the recommendations in this thread. Thanks TVCH'ers!! Just watched:

'There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane' on HBO
'Dear Zachary' on Netflix
'Marwencol' on Netflix

I can't get the three of these out of my mind.

Also I saw and enjoyed 'I Like Killing Flies'- About the oddball Greenwich Village eatery Shopsin's- supposedly the basis for Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi".
http://http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390109/

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 5:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Scratch what I wrote above about Kenny Shopsin in 'I Like Killing Flies' as being inspiration for Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi". Not the same guy I guess. Kenny Shopsin is is a real character though- he will boot you right out the door if he doesn't like you.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finally took the time today to watch Being Elmo on Netflix and LOVED it!! Thanks so much for passing the word. :-)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Wasn't it great Teach! I think more people would enjoy it than think they would. I don't think you have to be a muppet fan to get something out of this film. And it's all-age friendly. Good for young and old!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I thought exactly the same thing. Usually once a year we show a school wide movie after exams since we don't have half days. I'm going to recommend this to the organizers. I think the HS kids would love it! :-)

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I watched a good doc called 'Hot Coffee' the other day. Here are some snips of the HBO synopsis:

Most people have heard the story of the woman who ordered a cup of coffee from McDonalds, spilled it on her lap, and sued the fast food chain for millions of dollars. The case is often used as an example of the abuse of the tort system in America, but not everyone knows the truth about the case.

Filmmaker Susan Saladoff examines how major corporations are using disinformation and lobbying power to make it harder for ordinary citizens to use the courts to settle grievances against businesses in the documentary Hot Coffee, which uses this and three other cases as examples of how corporate power is corrupting America's legal system. Hot Coffee was an official selection at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival. ~ Mark Deming, Rovi

It is listed under movies on HBO, rather than docs. It is available elsewhere as well. I found the film interesting and informative. It made me angry regarding tort reform and I was always one to blather on about the audacity of "frivolous" lawsuits. I won't do that anymore without knowing all the facts!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, September 10, 2012 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Saw another very interesting doc called "Side By Side'-- about the impact of digital film in cinema and the comparison to photochemical film. It was very interesting to hear the commentary from many great cinematographers and directors. Here is the IMDb link...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2014338/

I also found it interesting as a photography buff who loved the "magic" of the darkroom. When digital film came, I was like, but...but... but...where is the creativity of the darkroom??? :-)

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, September 10, 2012 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I've been in a documentary mood lately. Anyone have any good suggestions? I've seen most in this thread. I like all kinds, but right now I can't handle anything really sad or a major tearjerker. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I saw 2016 this past week and it was wonderful. I highly recommend it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Rieann, are you familiar with the SEVEN UP doc series? It's wonderful. Here's an article about it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9206960/Seven-Up-Now-we-are-56.html

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Rieann, not sure what exactly you are looking for and have no idea about your taste but... you said nothing sad and I recently watched "Waking Sleeping Beauty" which might fit the bill. It's a documentary that covers a roughly 15 year period in the Walt Disney animation history. Really interesting look at the business side of the industry. You can see a trailer at the Official website for Waking Sleeping Beauty

ETA: The 7 Up series is INCREDIBLE!! My girls bought me the whole set a couple years ago because I wouldn't stop talking about it.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 7:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
YAY!! Thank you! The 7 Up Series is on Netflix and Waking Sleeping Beauty is in Amazon On Demand. Couldn't find 2016, but I've written it down. I'm going to start the 7 Up series today. It looks fascinating.

I'm a happy camper!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 7:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Rissa, Waking Sleeping Beauty looks terrific! Rieann, so glad you'll be able to enjoy the Seven Up series. I've seen several but don't think I've seen all of it, myself.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
The 7 up Series is AMAZING! The most recent update (56) became available in the UK this year. I need to see when it ill be available in the US.
I also loved Waking Sleeping Beauty.

Looking through my archives for docs.... Buena Vista Social Club, Frank and Ollie (more Disney), Justin Bieber Never Say Never (I found it surprisingly interesting);The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Story; Winged Migration; Oceans (or probably any of the Disney Nature films)

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Netflix has a documentary about Vidal Sassoon that's really good.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Being Elmo is FABULOUS!! If I had time, I'd watch it once a month just for the warm fuzzies!