TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 02, 2003

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: New on Video/DVD: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 02, 2003 users admin

Jed245

Monday, January 13, 2003 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jed245 a private message Print Post    
To the very few of you that have seen it and liked it. Near dark is out on dvd now. I think it's the best vampire movie of it's time. :o)

Jed

Calamity

Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I love Diane Lane but haven't seen 'Unfaithful'. I did see her in 'A Walk on the Moon' a couple years ago. It's also about infidelity and has a great cast. For all the Viggo Mortenson fans, he plays the other man.

Got the 'Fly Away Home' special edition DVD for Christmas. I think it was previously available only as a full-screen version with no bonus features. Great movie and has some interesting extras.

Also got 'Signs'; haven't watched the deleted scenes or anything yet but it doesn't seem to include a trailer. Darn.

Finally, I picked up the 'Back to the Future' trilogy/E.T.' combo. Looks like they should have some fun stuff on them.

Webkitty

Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Webkitty a private message Print Post    
A Walk On The Moon with Diane Lane and Viggo Mortensen was excellent!
Calamity, did you think the mother of the husband was the trouble maker in all that? I mean, if she hadn't called her son to tell him something was up, the affair probably would have ended and life would have gone on as usual. I'm not condoning infidelity or anything, I'm just saying....

Calamity

Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Webkitty: It's been a while since I saw this movie so some of the details are fuzzy but I do think Diane Lane's character wanted to reconcile with her husband and probably would have done so even if the m-i-l hadn't advised him to come home. But I'm not sure if the husband would have realized on his own how unhappy his wife had been.

I really felt sympathetic towards everyone in this film. It was a good (and uncommon) example of how most people's lives are usually a struggle to make the best of things. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we fail. And even basically decent people can behave selfishly and hurt the ones they love.

Ketchuplover

Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Blue Crush has great above & below water cinematography. The rest of the movie is regurgitated vomit. Enjoy.

Curiouscat

Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 4:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curiouscat a private message Print Post    
Last weekend I rented My Big Fat Greek Wedding which I enjoyed. It made me wonder if people really do go through that - parents insisting you marry within the same nationality? I also got City by the Sea and One Hour Photo. I thought they were both so-so. Both Robert De Niro and Robin Williams are great actors but the scripts themselves were lacking. I have to say I loved these guys in Awakenings though - a great story that they could shine in.

Last night I watched Road to Perdition. Even though it's nearly two hours long, the time flew by. I like mob movies and movies of the past. My only bug-a-boo is I guessed the ending and I hate when it seems so obvious.

Curiouscat

Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 5:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curiouscat a private message Print Post    
I rented Spirited Away this weekend ... it's a great movie. No wonder it won over Ice Age and Lio and Stitch for Best Animated Movie. It's definitely worthwhile seeing. Anyone else see it, or anything else decent lately?

Lizadee

Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lizadee a private message Print Post    
We have owned it for about 2 wks now and still have not watched it
Sounds like I may now though Thanks Curiouscat

Curiouscat

Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curiouscat a private message Print Post    
Tell me what you think of it after you watch it, Lizadee, if you get a chance. If you bought it on DVD, what's on the second disc? I usually don't have the time to watch all the extra goodies when renting (has to be back the next day.)

I'm a nut for animated movies, and saw a preview for one on the Spirited Away DVD that'll be at the theatres in May. I can't quite remember the name though, Nemo something. Anywho, it's by the same folks who made Toy Story, and it looked good.

Brenda1966

Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 3:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Another big thumbs up for Spirited Away. (It was my pick for best film of last year.) I saw it in the theater and was tempted to go see it again. I'll eventually buy a copy on DVD. I've just rented Kiki's Delivery Service from Netflix (it's another Miyazaki anime film). I'll post a review when I eventually watch it.

I really loved Spirited Away. I wasn't sure I would because I found Princess Mononoke to be too "out there" for me. But since Spirited Away was sort of framed by "reality" I could buy into it. It has amazing animation and humor and adventure. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to see movies like this.

Curiouscat

Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 4:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curiouscat a private message Print Post    
The new animated movie coming to theatres May 30 is called Finding Nemo. The trailer gave me a laugh.

Yankee_In_Ca

Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 8:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yankee_In_Ca a private message Print Post    
Spirited Away is amazing! Very Alice-in-Wonderlandish, but not -- at the same time.

Calamity

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I thought 'Spirited Away' was absolutely enchanting too. It more than lived up to all the critical acclaim & hype.

Midlifer

Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Midlifer a private message Print Post    
I'm not sure how long this DVD has been out, but I just watched "The Count of Monte Cristo" (2002 version), and the actor who played the Count is absolutely DELICIOUS! Has anybody seen it?

Cba79

Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cba79 a private message Print Post    
The "Count" is Guy Pearce, and if you liked him in that movie DEFINITELY try out "Memento." Very good movie.

PS. You may have to watch it more than once to catch all the details, but his acting and the script were great!

Midlifer

Monday, May 19, 2003 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Midlifer a private message Print Post    
Cba....Guy Pearce played the Count of Monte Cristo's friend (another Count), but he was not a sympathetic character in this movie. He even stole the Count's wife! I love Guy Pearce, though, ever since I saw him in "The Man From Snowy River" (TV series). Memento was great! The guy who played the Count of Monte Cristo is played by an actor whose name escapes me, but I THINK that he played Dennis Quaid's adult son in "Frequency".

Calamity

Monday, May 19, 2003 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Hi Midlifer: James (aka Jim) Caviezel played the Count of Monte Cristo and you're right, he also appeared in 'Frequency'. I haven't seen either movie but agree that Guy Pearce is terrific. Big sigh.

Midlifer

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 7:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Midlifer a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Calamity, for straightening that out. Jim Caviezel is quite a looker, and I especially enjoyed him as The Count. Better WITH a beard than without. The Count of Monte Cristo is a great book and an enjoyable movie. What an interesting plot!

Cba79

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cba79 a private message Print Post    
Sorry about the screwup...Midlifer and Calamity. Thanks for cathcing that. (Name tags were invented for people like me!)

Midlifer

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Midlifer a private message Print Post    
No prob, Cba.

Bandit

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bandit a private message Print Post    
Ditto!! Memento is awesome. But after you watch it the first time, you're kinda pee ode at how it ends--you kinda have to watch the special features on the DVD to make sense of it all.

Fantastic movie, though!

Midlifer

Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Midlifer a private message Print Post    
Agreed on Memento, Bandit. Such a weird movie, but fascinating. My daughter, a college student, said that her college friends watched it in her film class, then re-rented the movie to analyze it. It has quite a cult following.

Curiouscat

Monday, July 14, 2003 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curiouscat a private message Print Post    
Just rented Phone Booth, and Once Upon a Time in America this weekend. I'd recommend both. Phone Booth surprised me because I thought it'd drag abit like Panic Room, but it was "go, go, go" all the way through. Once Upon a Time in America is actually an older movie that recently came out on DVD. It's a 2-disc movie, so it's long. But, hey, it's a Robert De Niro flick, what can I say. I'm partial to mob/gangster movies, especially ones set in the past.

Curiouscat

Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curiouscat a private message Print Post    
Another Blockbuster night :) This time around I rented Solaris, Adaptation, and The Life of David Gale.

Worst of the bunch prize goes to: Solaris. The commercial claimed it's like 2001: A Space Odyessey. I don't think so. It seemed like a movie written for George Clooney and the story built solely around his character. Where's the plot...lost in space!?! I think so.

I've wanted to see Adaptation for a while now. Nicolas Cage did a fine job playing two characters, twins. I laughed out loud often, even though it's not a comedy. It's satirical how serious thoughts on life can be so darn funny. Meryl Streep did a great job. It amazes me when an actor/actress can bring tears to my eyes with a simple look or a few words.

I'd say The Life of David Gale, with Kevin Spacey and Kate Winslet, is the best out of the lot. By coincidence, I recently watched Dead Man Walking with Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn on TV, another movie about anti-capital punishment. It's thought provoking - I call something that when the next morning while taking a shower it's what's on my mind. No matter how hard they try to spin it though, I don't think I'll ever change my mind about the death penalty. Why? The victims and their families. What if it was someone in your family that was murdered?

Geesh...next time I better rent a comedy or Disney movie.

Ric_Munoz

Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ric_Munoz a private message Print Post    
But we got to see Clooney's butt (twice!) in "Solaris" so it wasn't a TOTAL waste of time.