TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Lincoln

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Lincoln users admin

Redpen

07-24-2003

Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
This opens 11/16. Directed by Spielberg. Lincoln is Daniel Day Lewis. Sally Field is Mary Todd Lincoln. Screenplay by Tony Kushner. Based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's book. Just in time for Oscars. Can't wait!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
The previews are not encouraging, but I can't wait to see this movie anyway.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
The previews look very compelling to me. I have high hopes.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Who plays the vampires?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I think you're thinking of another film Ketch. :-) Whatever happened to that one? I saw previews.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
It just hit Redbox recently I think, Brenda.

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
Abe was right. It is a brown football helmet!

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 9:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I'm confused. Is this out on video or is it in theaters? Not the vampire one.

I am interested to see how historically accurate it is or if there is an agenda behind it being it was released during an election year/season.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
It's being released after the election, so I'm not sure it has an agenda. I hope to see it this weekend.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I want to see it too. So does my husband, which is rare because he hates going to the movies :-)

However, I had heard banter about it having propaganda. Not sure to which end or if that's true, but it's probably the same people who said Pearl Harbor was anti-Japanese. Anything to complain about something, right?

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Saw it this evening and really enjoyed it.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Anymore reviews on this? The history is right up my alley, but I heard/read that it was a real yawner.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
It wasn't a yawner for me. Yes, it's very talky and you have to pay attention, which I obviously didn't in High School History class because I learned a few things. :-) I liked the film and DDL, who I'm not a huge fan of, was very good.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Lakecat my Hubby is a history fan, he really enjoyed it.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
8.5/10

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
We arent big movie goers, we have a pretty decent media room,so Ill have to choose between Lincoln and Life of Pi to see at the theater.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
My father, sister and BIL saw it over the weekend - they all said it's a bit boring, but he casting is so great it's worth going to see it just for the actors. Tommy Lee Jones makes the film, I guess, although they said great things about Daniel Day Lewis and Sally Field. It's not a Civil War movie with massive outdoor battle scenes - it's more of a cerebral carpet show.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I was worried about the civil war battles. Good to know it's a cerebral film instead.

Windowbox

05-10-2011

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Windowbox a private message Print Post    
My hubby and I both loved it. Daniel Day Lewis, Sally Field, and Tommy Lee Jones should all be nominated for Oscars. At the end of the movie several people clapped which to me is a pretty good indication of being well received. I will most likely buy the DVD when it comes out. But I have always loved the history of Lincoln and the Civil War.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Ditto, was wonderful. Owe a big thanks to GAL for recommending the book, "The Last of the Lincolns" last year. What I read then really put a lot of the content in the movie into context. But I gotta tell you about the charmer I had sitting beside me. THANK GOD there was one empty seat between us or I may be incarcerated right now. LOLOL She talked the ENTIRE movie, or rather, asked her companion questions the entire movie. Here are just 3 examples of the level of intelligence I endured:

1) During the vote the response was Nay or Yay. She asked what Nay meant.
2) After the vote, when the republican side of the house was celebrating she asked if that means that they think they've won.
3) When they announced that Lincoln had been shot she gasped (LOUDLY) and asked if that was what REALLY happened in REAL life.

THE ENTIRE MOVIE!!!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
You have the patience of a saint Rissa. I would have gotten up and moved far away from her!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Full theatre Brenda or I would have. {sigh}

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 4:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Glad to read these good reviews - I have heard nothing but negatives here! Now i want to see it!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I saw the movie last night and loved it! As someone said upthread, this is not a typical war movie. As a political junkie, I loved seeing all the "back room deals" that had to be made to get passage of the 13th amendment.

The acting was superb!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Finally saw this - I wasn't impressed with the screenplay (and I don't think by any stretch this movie deserves the Oscar for best movie), but the acting was terrific. Great casting job.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Someone called it 2.5 hours of CSpan Reruns. I cracked up at that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: