TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 19, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: The Hunger Games: Archive through August 19, 2012 users admin

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 10:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
ya but do you have the same haircut as high school??

its funny how some people just never change after their graduation.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 8:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
One of my fave all-time books is called IS THERE LIFE AFTER HIGH SCHOOL by Ralph Keyes. I cannot recommend this enough! Chock full of celeb stories and pix from their high school days. Talks about if they were jocks or geeks, etc. There was even a short-lived Broadway production based on it.

http://www.amazon.com/There-Life-After-High-School/dp/B000RLMXO8

Boberg

10-04-2002

Monday, April 30, 2012 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
Question: what is it about this movie that makes it more than children being forced to fight for their right to live?

I have not seen it because that is my opinion of what the movie is about (just from watching trailers) and therefore does not appeal to me...BUT...

Many of you have said it is so much more....I am intriqued....can you expound on how it is more? So many people have really liked this movie.

THanks!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, April 30, 2012 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Boberg, I have not read the books so this is just based on the movie.

There is one central gov't which enjoys a lavish, self-indulged lifestyle thanks to the back-breaking labours of 13 districts. Some are farming communities, some mining but all work for the benefit of the ruling group. Many years earlier there was a mass rebellion, an attempt to take over the govt. The attempt failed and as punishment it was decreed that each district would have to sacrifice two teenagers each year for these so-called Hunger Games. It is the ultimate display of just how far the govt will go to keep control and how little the govt values their lives. District 13 made an attempt to hide their children (or somehow circumvent the games, detailed in book not movie) and the entire district was wiped out of existence. The game immediately following that attempted rebellion is where the movie begins.

ETA: I had posted this before, it's my thought on the point of the games:

They are the ultimate punishment for those who dared to challenge the gov't. Watching their own children have to fight/die is a deterrent to ever trying it (uprising)again. The 'cheating' is just one more way to flaunt their ultimate control or to highlight the districts utter lack of any control. Even those who try to prepare their children with years of training and dehumanizing are (in the end) at the whim of the powers that be. Whether your children live/die really is just a game to us so be aware, stay in line.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Monday, April 30, 2012 - 5:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Boberg it is about oppression and rebellion and human nature. There is so much to read into the books. It is really a great story and goes so far beyond the children fighting.

It is funny because several years ago there was a japanese manga and film called Battle Royal with the same premise. But this was really overly violent, and it focused on the kids fighting. Hunger games goes far beyond that. try the books and see how good they are.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, April 30, 2012 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
One of the things that impressed me about the Hunger Games was the world building. So many science fiction books are weighed down with the author going into endless narrative about the world in which the characters live. With the Hunger Games I felt that she accomplished this in an effortless natural way that integrated the world building into the story. She is a very efficient writer.

Another thing that I liked is the main character is a young woman. I find it amazing but this is the only top box office action movie ever made where the main character is female.

One of the only things that I dislike about the books in this series (I've only read the first two so far) is I wish that the books were longer. I was always disappointed when they ended too soon. But maybe that is a sign of good writing. Leaving the reader wanting more.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 7:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Rissa, the only correction I would make is that the rebellion happened many years ago...so this has now become part of their culture. A hated part for the districts but a part nonetheless...and a commentary on how differently the people in the districts view the games and the people in the Capital view the games.

I highly recommend reading the books. They give a lot of insight into the motivations of the characters that the movie just simply can't.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
The original rebellion that started the hunger games Roxip? Or the one that caused district 13 to be destroyed? My understanding (from half listening - OK, quarter listening - to dd's rambling) is that the original rebellion was about 75 yrs prior. I have no idea why I thought the district 13 uprising was just the year before. How long ago was that one?

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Never mind Roxip. My dd explained it to her old lady. lol There was only one rebellion. Got it now. :-)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
So far...I have to have my 15-year old "explain" things to me quite often...or at least she thinks she has to explain things to me...it is usually accompanied by eye-rolling.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
And sighing in exasparation, don't forget the sighing, Roxip! Once in a while you get to hear, Mom! in that one tone of voice, but ya always get the eye rolling and sighing.

Dlkuhn4

07-14-2002

Friday, May 04, 2012 - 12:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dlkuhn4 a private message Print Post    
I have read the books and understood the movie completely but they should of explained more but I understand why they can't. My kids have not read the books and they did not enjoy the movie as much because they did not understand everything going on because of not reading the book. They said it was just ok.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, May 04, 2012 - 4:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Dlk, are your kids interested in reading the books? My friend hadn't read the books prior to seeing the film with me, but afterwards she couldn't get her hands on the books fast enough. She's just finished them, and has a much clearer understanding of the story. And wants to see the film again.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, May 04, 2012 - 5:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Love teenagers! Have to or they wouldn't survive...lol.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
HaHa Rox!

I have now read all three books (couldn't get my hands on books 2 and 3 fast enough after finishing Hunger Games), and I can't wait to see the movie again. And to see the next 3 movies.

I thought the movie was really good (saw it before I read the books) but I thought the book was better. I actually like the movie more now that I read the book. I wonder what my opinion will be after I see the movie again.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
Costco has Hunger Games DVD coming on August 18th. I am betting they get lots of sales on this one...everyone wants to see it again!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, August 12, 2012 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finally saw the movie yesterday. I thought it was good. My hubby, who has not read the book, could not get into it.

Redpen

07-24-2003

Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 1:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
My DVD didn't arrive yet, but Amazon put a digital copy in my video library, and I just finished watching it. This was my second time seeing it and I caught a few things I had missed.

Jimmer, I thought Ripley was the lead hero in the Alien series, right? But the character was originally written as a man.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I haven't seen the movie yet but just finished reading; Hunger Games, Catching Fire and I'm about halfway through Mockingbird, the last book all in the past 3 weeks. Really have a hard time putting these books down. Once I'm finished, I will watch the movie.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Good point about Ripley in the Alien movies. Also I would have thought that the Lara Croft movies were big.

With respect to The Hunger Games I really enjoyed both the book and the movie.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
9.87654321/10

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
Love how you rate your movies when you seen them Ketchuplover. What about Timothy Green have you seen that yet?

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 6:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Dang, I was surprised how much I liked the movie. I read the books and loved them, but was dubious about the transfer to movie, but I just watched on Amazon, and I loved it. Can't wait for the next two.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 5:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I shall not be seeing Mr.Green Another movie that I won't see but is getting good reviews is "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 6:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
How come you won't see it