TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Beasts of the Southern Wild

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Beasts of the Southern Wild users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I was all set to see Beasts this weekend, and it has already left our theaters. Has anyone else seen it? It was one of the few movies this summer that I REALLY wanted to see, but my schedule prevented me from going. Is it worth pre-ordering? And has it disappeared from other theaters as quickly as it did here?

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I have not seen it yet but I am told it is worth seeing. I am happy you reminded me. My daughter was home for the summer and she has awful taste in movies. So we have only seen really bad movies.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Sorry to hear that, Pippin. I've only seen 2 movies all summer: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (LOVED it), and MIB III (a fun movie for summer).

ETA: I forgot, we also saw Brave. Enjoyed that one largely because it was set in Scotland. :-)

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I loved it and will recommend it to everyone. Hubby liked it but said they had too many topics they were trying to cover. And with all the symbolism it was to much for him.

Loved Brave.

Marigold Hotel was ok for me but only because I just came back from India (I was in the areas in the film) it just did not capture India for me.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 5:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
The synopsis at Fandango did not make me want to see it, but I will reconsider after reading here -

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Some of the reviews and mentions of all the "symbolism" made me decide to skip it. Maybe on home video I'll catch it. Some of these films that are more like poems just don't do much for me. This one is getting a lot of great reviews.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Since it's nominated for the Best Picture Oscar and the 9-year-old girl is nominated for Best Actress, I rented this for this evening. Hope it's good - it certainly sounds different.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
GAL looking forward to your review.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Watched it. Didn't like it. Found it confusing at times. The little girl is adorable, but I agree with this article on the subject of her award nomination:

The Atlantic

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I loved it ... but of course the symbolism/mythological references just made me think of all the wonderful questions I could ask if I showed it in an English class! LOL

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, June 14, 2013 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I just watched it and went on IMDB and found that it wasn't symbolism at all. It was more or less the world ending. The ice was melting and started flooding the lowlands.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, June 14, 2013 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
It was an extraordinary film. Very unique.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, June 14, 2013 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
It does give one pause to think. The little girl sure deserved her Oscar nom.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: