TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 26, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: The Hunger Games: Archive through April 26, 2012 users admin

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 6:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I didn't notice it either so I'm guessing I was so absorbed in the movie that it didn't affect me at all.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I thought the movie was really good. Too much shaky camera though. I know that is a film technique used in fighting and fast scenes so that we can't see clearly what is going on, but I am not a fan of that technique at all.

Like Pamy, it reminded me of Survivor in a few ways. Especially when Woody Harrelson said the way to win is to be likable. I also have not read the book.

Horrific premise. And so celebratory for such an awful thing. I'm still upset about it. (I did know the premise before I saw the movie.) But the movie was very very good and now I will read the book sometime when I have time. I'll read them all I hope. I want them to get away from the actual Hunger Games. I like a happy ending. I have no idea if I'll get it though, don't know anything about the 2 sequels. I'm very interested to see where this goes though because Katniss has really upset the government.

Even though I'm still some upset (just saw the movie last night) about the premise, I do not regret seeing the movie. I just didn't expect it to have such a haunting effect on me.

There is much more blood and gore in other pg-13 movies or tv-14 shows.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Happymom, the books are good and well written. It is a really good story. But I must tell you many fans of the book were not happy with the final book. I however loved it and cannot wait for the next three movies (they are splitting the third book into two movies).

Roxip

01-29-2004

Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Happymom, I felt shattered at the end of the first book, so I can understand you feel that way about the end of the movie. It did haunt me and I had to be prodded to read the last two books (but glad that I did). I can't wait for the next movies.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Thanks Pip and Rox. :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Heading over with a galpal to see Hunger Games later today. (Also going to see Mirror Mirror, as I have some movie passes that have to be used up this week.) I'll report back. :-) I was surprised how much I enjoyed the books and sped through the series in about 3 days.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Monday, April 23, 2012 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Hope u enjoyed the show Evelyn Wood :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mirror Mirror was lame-o. Hunger games on the other hand was terrific and did not disappoint, although the shaky camera technique made me very queasy.

(LOL, I'm not usually a speed-reader, unless the book really has me captivated, like the Hunger Games series did.)

After the film, I lent book 1 to my friend who says she'll probably want to see it AGAIN after reading it. Not having read it beforehand, she looked somewhat shell-chocked after the movie, calling it 'dystopian'. Which is accurate. It's certainly not Beach Blanket Bingo. ;);)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
It really didn't disappoint. I have found myself remembering things that they left out of the movie after the fact but it really didn't make that big of a difference. I was amazed at how much I liked Jennifer Lawrence in the part...she just didn't look right in interviews but she works in the movie. I had also thought the character who played Peeta wasn't really handsome enough (for me) but he has such personal charisma in the movie that I bought into him hook, line and sinker.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 8:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
At first I was a bit put off as well but I ended up liking the choice of the actor who played Peeta. He doesn't have typical rugged good looks which is a good thing. I pictured Peeta as being a competent but sweet looking caring kind of guy and he fit that image and role perfectly.

It was amazing how Jennifer Lawrence transformed to fit the role of Katniss. And I'm normally not much of a Woody Harrelson fan but I really liked him as Haymitch.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Possible spoiler....

The book is so richly detailed and deep that it would have to be done as a tv mini-series with voice-overs to cover all the bases in each book. Katniss is extremely conflicted and angry about certain things in the book, which I didn't feel was really conveyed in the film.

So much of the book is from her thought processes, explaining certain things. But I liked how they compensated in some ways, for instance by showing us how the stuff was computer generated and how the computer/holographic programers were so darned DETACHED from what they were doing to the tributes. The only thing I thought was 'missing' in the film were the 'faces' on the dogs/beasts which were supposed to look like the dead tributes. Mind you, I watched that part through my fingers which were splayed hiding my eyes.
Too bad her 'pit-crew' didn't get much airtime except for Cynna. I really liked the choice of actor for Cynna.
Also, one thing that really enraged me was remembering an article I'd read online where some racist a-holes had said that when reading the book they rooted for (and mourned) certain characters, and they wouldn't have wasted their their tears, if they'd known certain characters they came to care about, were black. (I'm trying to be vague here so as to not spoil too much. Although I believe it's fairly common knowlege it's a movie about a bunch of CHILDREN fighting to the DEATH.) I was weeping and angry during those scenes, thinking about how cruel and ugly some folks can be. I truly wish I hadn't read that damned article. (I think it was in Huffpo last week.)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mods, if my post is too 'spoilerish' I won't be offended if it's edited or deleted. I just really wanted to discuss the film vs the book, etc. And wasn't sure where to post about it.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I agree about the dog/beasts...that was such an important factor in the book.

I read about the racist comments too and couldn't understand it, because it is obvious that different characters in the books could easily be different races...just shows that some people are crazy and if they are they will get quoted.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think that is a shame that anyone would consider race being relevant when it comes to this sort of character portrayal. Race played no part in the story.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I was also looking forward to seeing the dog beasts, not the attacks but how they would look, and Katniss seeing the faces of the dogs.

I really enjoyed the books and the film, and was not disappointed.

I also saw the article about the characters being black and was disappointed. What these complaining people forget is that similarities go beyond looks. I was pleased with all the characters.

I was also told that true fans are disappointed by the ending of the books and the events near the end (I will not spoil). I loved the ending and had no issues with it. To me it was, not acceptable, but appropriate (accurate) This is hard to do without spoiling.

We should start a thread where we can discuss books and movies and be able to spoil.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I wasn't disappointed by the ending of the book either. It was accurate and true to the book as a whole IMO.

Redpen

07-24-2003

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
So glad to find this thread where folks like the book and movie. Last night I asked at our monthly "ladies night" if anyone had seen the movie, because I loved it. They all yelled at me for 5 minutes about how disgusting and violent it was. Of course not one of them had seen it. At 65 I am the youngest in our group of 8. I try to stay current with music, films, and TV, but it seems my peers here don't. Is it that way everywhere?

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
It is amazing how people have opinions and do not know what they are talking about!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ditto what Knightpatti said!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I consciously try to stay current but I can see how people can end up isolating themselves and/or being surrounded by people who are stuck at a particular stage of their lives that they remember fondly. I think more interaction and openness with kids or grandchildren might help. For example, I know a lot of current music because that's what my daughters listen to. Plus they'll hear an "old" song or I'll play it for them and they get an appreciation for that music as well.

The Hunger Games is also the kind of book or movie that has to be read or seen to be appreciated. It would be very easy to get a negative impression of it by simply reading a synopsis of the story.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My parents are a perfect example...while they still lived in the metropolitan area where I grew up and they worked they stayed active and up-to-date...but when they moved back to the small rural area where they grew up in east Texas and were surrounded only by people who were their age or older I noticed that their world view got smaller (if you know what I mean) and they seemed to become old overnight. Before I never thought of them that way.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
It seems to me that ppl my age seem to stay more current and up to date than when my parents were my age (50).
I grew up in Tyler Roxip,where did you?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I grew up in Mesquite...my parents live near Lake O' the Pines now...they grew up in Jefferson. They are in their 80s so I guess they have the right to get old at this point...LOL! I'm 53 now and I agree. At least I hope I'm trying to stay more current...but having a 15-year old daughter helps a lot.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
haha, I'm much younger than my parents were when they were my age.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Oh Happymom, me too, me too!