TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 18, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: The Hunger Games: Archive through April 18, 2012 users admin

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
The Hunger Games sounds like "reality" tv

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
It is really hard to explain, and any explanation of the storyline would really sound horrible, and in fact, the Hunger Games are reality tv in their own environment - all of the Games are shown on national television and it is mandatory that the public watch them, regardless of whether you want to or not. Actually the viewing of the Games shows the disparity of viewpoint between the 12 Districts and the Capital - to the people in the Capital the games are sport and a subject for celebration - to all the people whose children are subject to being participants in the Games they are an object of fear and oppression.

It is one of those books/movies where you either are totally engrossed in the story or you aren't. I can understand people not liking the premise - I almost didn't read the books except for the encourage of people here on TVCH - but the entire series is absorbing. I'm hoping to get the opportunity to go and see the movie in the next few days.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
i disagree with Rissa in that it was defintiely a bloody and gorey show.

What movie were you watching? There was no blood or gore in the film because they glossed over the deaths. An episode of Lost was more violent than this movie.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
I am sorry I spoke so cross last nite, I was tired and I just saw a picture of my grand-nephew standing so proudly in his "Jr Cadet" outfit. The armed services enlist 18 year olds who cannot vote or go into a bar yet they train them to kill. Suzanne Collins is trying to lift our blinders and it is frustrating to me when people don't understand but it isn't my place to try to change a person's view...it is what it is!!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 3:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Although they didn't show the visual details in the movie, the concept is incredibly violent.

My comment above isn't a criticism by the way.

Dlkuhn4

07-14-2002

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dlkuhn4 a private message Print Post    
I have read the books and didn't go to see the movie yet but my kids aren't interested in it. I am trying to get my Son to read the books because I think he would enjoy them . He is 17. He read all of harry potter, Eargon, And Twilight. I also went to see all the twilight movies starting with the second one at midnight with my son. And all the Harry Potter movies with both my kids. We also would go to buy the Harry potter books at Midnight dressed up and have a ball! We made memories that the kids still talk about and remember as happiness. They still did good in school and nothing bad happened because they didn't get enough sleep on those special times. When we went and seen breaking dawn we sat next to his English teacher! We didn'y plan this it just happened! He said the next day they were both yawning but spent much of the class talking about the night before including me snoring once!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 6:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
My nephew actually read The Hunger Games for his English class. It was assigned reading.

Going to see it tomorrow with my sister, niece and nephew. My niece has already seen it but wants to go again. I have just been waiting for someone to go with so I'm excited.

Ranger2

08-08-2008

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 6:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ranger2 a private message Print Post    
I saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. I haven't read the book, still on the waiting list for the first book. My problem with the movie was that it gave me motion sickness..which I'm prone to. Did anyone else have that problem?

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 6:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Did you see it in 3D Ranger? That always hurts my head. LOL

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I don't think it's available in 3D - it's just that they use the jerky camera motions that seem to be so popular these day.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Lots of jerky camera motion!

We saw it today and just loved it. Very close to the book.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
Yes, Ranger2, I had a problem with that too.

Gmggraham

05-10-2011

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gmggraham a private message Print Post    
I didn't like the jerky camera motion either. They do it to create a sense of urgency and confusion, but it just makes my mind boggle too much.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Friday, April 06, 2012 - 1:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
There was no blood or gore in the film there was blood and there was Gore involving showing dead bodies and injuries.

I have to wonder how desensitized people are to watch a movie and miss that kids are being stabbed and shot with arrows etc.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Friday, April 06, 2012 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
Well, Sunshyne4u, it wasn't that I am desensitized because it was sad, but it was part of the story. I know in reality, worse things are happening to kids.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, April 06, 2012 - 11:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
There was blood but I wouldn't say gore. They kept it pretty contained, if you ask me. But that is the nature of war.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
To be clear.. I never said there wasn't some level of blood/gore. The point I was trying to make (and badly I suppose) was that the movie itself is about some very serious and very adult issues that make it inappropriate for children under a certain age regardless of the violence that may be in the film. It they took out every speck of blood I would still say it is not a movie for under 12's.

ETA: I agree... there was blood but very little gore (that's a really loaded word, isn't it?)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I finally got to see the movie today with my daughter...who didn't like it at all (she hasn't read the books and I don't think she was prepared for how intense the storyline is). I of course loved it. I guess I'll have to go and see the second movie with somebody else!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 10:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
How old is your daughter Roxip? I think we're going to hold off. DD is 10 and hasn't read the book. I may try to get it from the library and read it first. I'm hoping she doesn't read it for a couple of years.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 09, 2012 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Mine is 15 but she has never been a fan of "serious" movies. Probably a result of being raised by a mother who loves silly romantic movies and has never exposed her to anything but...I was surprised when she said that she wanted to see Hunger Games...I guess she really didn't know what it was about.

But she had lots of questions about the whys and how comes so we had an interesting late lunch afterward!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Just got home from the movie-Really really enjoyed it (I havent read the books), but actually Id rather have seen the gratitous violence than all the shaky camera work during the battle and death scenes.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Its funny, quite a few of you have mentioned the shaky camera work. It normally bugs the #&$^ out of me (there are long portions of the new Superman film I haven't seen because I had to close my eyes) but I never noticed it at all during this film. Maybe the ambient light in the theatre helps/hurts.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
The shaky camera work only happened during the violent scenes.Maybe you were so caught up in what was happening that you did not notice it.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Must be because I have no doubt you guys are accurately recalling it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
As Lakecat mentioned, the shaky camera wasn't a continuous thing like you see in some movies. I recall it happening during running action type scenes where they wanted the audience to get the feeling of running with the tributes. I'm not a big fan of the shaky camera technique but I think they used it well and at appropriate times.

My DD and I saw the movie last weekend. I thought it was very well done. The book is written in the first person from Katniss' perspective so I particularly liked how they expanded on the book and showed some of the behind the scenes activity. Everything about the movie was solid and first rate.