TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 10, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Documentary Fans?: Archive through April 10, 2012 users admin

Dahli

11-27-2000

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dahli a private message Print Post    
What about "Forks Over Knives" ? has anyone seen that yet?

Snee

06-26-2001

Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 12:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snee a private message Print Post    
just watched 'catfish'. real doc or made up? what do you think???

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
made up!

Mictay

09-29-2006

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 5:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mictay a private message Print Post    
Have to check these ones out,thanks guys!!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just watched a lovely film titled Monica and David. It followed the first year of marriage of a couple with Down's Syndrome. Very touching.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Jezzedout, I watched Exit through the gift shop last week because of your post. I really enjoyed it.

I just wonder where does he get his money from to do all this filming and support his family? He obviously doesn't have time to work, between all his filming and needing to sleep.

Also, how does his wife put up with all this? They seem to have a very happy family life, but I don't think I could put up with his obsession.

The funniest thing about the movie, for me, is that this guy looks so much like my BIL and has the same exact mannerisms and speaks just like him and has the same energy and hand expressions, and the same sound effects. It really put a smile on my face.

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Monday, June 20, 2011 - 5:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
We just saw "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" about the 32,000 years old cave paintings inside the Chauvet caves in So. France. Really worth seeing in 3D. Directed & narrated by Werner Herzog. Cave will never be open to the public so this is our only chance.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Monday, June 20, 2011 - 8:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
oh my!

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Monday, June 20, 2011 - 8:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Huk'd - thanks for posting that link. I crave documentaries, and for a while now I thought I might have run out of them!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, June 24, 2011 - 3:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I just watched an excellent documentary on DVD (released this past Tuesday), "Living In Emergency" about Doctors Without Borders. EXCELLENT!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, June 24, 2011 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Last night on TV I watched the outstanding documentary HANA's SUITCASE, here is a promotional snippet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY0N8Id_A8M

(2009)

INSIDE HANA'S SUITCASE A Theatrical Documentary Synopsis "Inside Hana's Suitcase", is the poignant story of two young children who grew up in pre-WWII Czechoslovakia and the terrible events that they endured just because they happened to be born Jewish. Based on the internationally acclaimed book "Hana's Suitcase" which has been translated into 40 languages, the film is an effective blend of documentary and dramatic techniques. In addition to tracing the lives of George and Hana Brady in the 1930's and 40's, "Inside Hana's Suitcase" tells the present-day story of "The Small Wings", a group of Japanese children, and how their passionate and tenacious teacher, Fumiko Ishioka, helped them solve the mystery of Hana Brady, whose name was painted on an old battered suitcase that they received from Auschwitz, the notorious Nazi death camp built in Poland. The film's plot unfolds as told through contemporary young storytellers who act as the omniscient narrators. They seamlessly transport us through 70 years of history and back and forth across three continents, and relate to us a story of unspeakable sadness and also of shining hope. For this is a Holocaust story unlike others. It provides a contemporary global perspective and lessons to be learned for a better future. Directed by award-winning filmmaker, Larry Weinstein, "Inside Hana's Suitcase" is a powerful journey full of mystery and memories, brought to life through the first-hand perspectives of Fumiko, Hana's brother George, and of Hana herself. Written by Larry Weinstein
IMDB

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Monday, June 27, 2011 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
http://vodo.net/californiadreaming

This is a doc about the financial crisis in California, and the families who are living in cars and motor homes. You might think it's depressing, but I found it hopeful, as well as a bit scary.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
"Beats, Rhymes and Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest" was really good. But then again, I love Tribe Called Quest, so maybe I'm just part of the ideal audience.

Yankee_in_ca

07-31-2000

Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yankee_in_ca a private message Print Post    
Anyone watched "There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane" on HBO? It's stayed with me for a few days since watching it... the last documentary to do that was "Dear Zachary."

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
I just looked it up Yankee and we don't get it here in Canada til end of Sept. I remember that happening and really want to see the documentary.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Cinnamon girl yes it has been on. Watch it when you can it is a really good film. Very haunting.

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
Ahhhhh so I missed the first airing... at least its scheduled again. Thanks Pippin

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Grooch, I'm just now seeing your post from 6/5 about "Exit Through the Giftshop." Glad you enjoyed it. It was one of the more intriguing docs I've seen this year.

Two others I've seen and enjoyed recently --

Marwencol -- about a guy who was brutally beaten, suffered irreversible brain injury and now spends his time building scale miniatures of a WWII-era town that he populates with fascinating doll characters that he photographs. That description doesn't begin to do justice to the story or the visuals depicted in the film. Here's a link to the website -- http://www.marwencol.com/about/. Highly recommend this for something different.

Last night I finally got around to watching "Valentino, The Last Emperor." A fascinating look at the world of couture fashion and the business behind it, as well as the man himself, who is shown in often unflattering terms.

Yankee_in_ca

07-31-2000

Friday, September 02, 2011 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yankee_in_ca a private message Print Post    
Loved Marwencol. So much I watched it twice.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I finally watched A Piece of Work, the documentary about Joan Rivers that came out last year. It's really quite good. I am pretty driven, but I can't imagine being as driven as she is. She was very brave to let herself be seen, "warts and all," like that.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, November 21, 2011 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Watched the first part of the Woody Allen documentary on American Masters last night. I'm looking forward to the second part tonight.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Monday, November 21, 2011 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I watched 'Buck' last night and cried thru most of it.....what a wonderful Man Buck is.... a real life horse whisperer....anyone that loves horses or has been abused can learn alot from this man....I cant stop thinking about it....

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, November 21, 2011 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Mamie -- where are you finding this Woody Allen documentary? Is it on DVD or on cable?

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, November 21, 2011 - 1:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Brenda, it's on PBS.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I watched Being Elmo last night on PBS and I have to say that I am in love with Kevin Clash.