TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 30, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: The Hunger Games: Archive through March 30, 2012 users admin

Pamy

01-02-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
one last note: I did feel like I was watching Survivor. The even had 'twists' to the game LOL

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
Pretty grim stuff (pardon the pun).

Hahahahaha!

Yes, Pamy, there are sequels.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Pamy, yes there are. Two: Catching Fire and Mockingjay

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
I'm still grinning at Jimmer's pun. That was really clever!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - I couldn't resist that one. Especially with the TV series.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Isn't dystopian fiction supposed to be grim? :-) DS and I are seeing it on Sunday. We're hoping if we go early in the day, it won't be as crowded (plus it will be less expensive). Originally we planned to go over Spring Break, but then we decided we just couldn't wait; we both had a rather crappy week, so this will be our "treat" to carry us through another 5 days of school! :-)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
The gossip pages are already trying to drum up Team Gale and Team Peeta nonsense.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Peeta???!!! I thought his name was Peter!!! hhahahaa

the more I reflected on the movie the more I liked it. They were never grusome with the killings and my fav scene was a tender death scene

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 9:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
I went with my Grand this morning...she's on spring break from UW and visiting me here in AZ. I loved the movie and I want to see it again. Nadine just finished all the books so she saw small things different then the book. We wondered what the movie would be like to people who never read the book and just saw the movie. The book of course covered alot more.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 5:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Well, I went and saw the movie last night. Since I knew nothing about the movie, fortunately my friend read all three books and explained in detail to me about the trilogy. If he hadn't explained it to me, a lot of it probably would have gone over my head.

As much reservation as I had about the violence, I have to admit they really glossed over it and it wasn't gruesome at all. As my friend said, it was no more violent than an episode of Lost. I am actually looking forward to seeing the two sequels.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Wow. Just read this thread from the beginning and I'm blown away by the discussion. I am fascinated and curious and want to read the books and see the film. Conversely I'm rather anxious about the theme and in my head comparing it to Lord of the Flies, which distressed me greatly. So STILL not sure if this is for me or not.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 7:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
box office sounds adequate so far

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Box Office Shocker: 'Hunger Games' Third Best Opening Weekend of All Time
The Hollywood Reporter
by Pamela McClintock

UPDATED: Lionsgate's book-to-film adaptation grosses a staggering $155 million, shattering records and surpassing any "Twilight" pic; overseas, "Hunger Games" opens to $59.3 million for a worldwide total of $214.3 million.

Making history, Lionsgate's The Hunger Games opened to an astounding $155 million at the domestic box office, the third-best debut of all time and the best for any film opening outside of summer.

Hunger Games -- the big-screen adaptation of Suzanne Collins' best-selling young-adult novel starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth -- also reeled in the biggest opening for a nonsequel.

"It was the perfect storm. Having the first film in a franchise to be so gigantic is amaing. We had a great book, and a great director in Gary Ross," said Lionsgate president of marketing Tim Palen, whose team is credited with a savvy campaign.

<more at the link>

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-hunger-games-jennifer-lawrence-josh-hutcherson-liam-hemsworth-twilight-304028

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
I still pass on it waste of money it will be on DVD in a month or so don't really see the hype in it.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I don't even know the Premise but the posters
In "The Library" section here love the book.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We saw it today - loved it! :-)

Am I the only one that thought the beginning, during the Reaping, was a combo of Depression era Grapes of Wrath and futuristic firemen from Fahrenheit 451? Once they arrived in the capital, that contrast went away, but all I could think of was Ma Joad at the beginning!

Panda

07-15-2005

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
I went by myself to see it on Sunday and there was a lot of seats open, I am glad I went when I did!
I thought it was good and I agree with Pamy about Lenny Kravitz!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 6:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I've read all 3 books and saw the movie last night. I loved it! Can't wait for the next one.

They did a good job!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 4:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
DDs went first day but hubby and I waited until a midweek matinee to avoid crowds. Really enjoyed it. I would argue with Pamy's use of the word twists and substitute... CHEATING!! LOL As far as letting children see the film, I would say the violence is a non-issue. They have to address the kids dying because its in the story but it's either off-screen or obscure. For me the bigger issue would be whether your child is old enough to understand the very adult issues addressed in the plot. Depends on the child but I would say no to anyone under 12 for sure.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 10:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
have not read the books, was completely let down by the movie. Kids killing kids? suicide is an acceptable ploy ? great messages for our kids.
^^^
i dont want to say anything specific and possibly spoil it for others.

i disagree with Rissa in that it was defintiely a bloody and gorey show.

i waited the whole movie for a plot to develop. instead it was a tweenie movie with very little actual dialogue plot. Running man, The condemned, The Truman show, its all been done to a degree better.

we barely saw the audience, we had NO concept of how the public was voting, we had no idea if the broadcast was edited/ this movie left me with a real curiosity of WHY and HOW anyone thought it was going to be good for children??

first thing I would have done as producer? director? casting agent is make sure that the Killers were not underage children. Rue looked 8-10 yrs old and its STUPID writing to suggest she could have fought off those older boys.

everyone should have been late teens/ early twenties... it could have been a great movie with a few changes.

Good things about this show?? liked how they tried to make it futuristic. I really loved the main character. Beautiful cheekbones and striking demeanor.

she carried the movie with her personal charisma

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
The whole thing is that we send our children off to be killed in wars and there is no amount of white washing that will cover that fact. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan where children are killed by bombs and it all comes down to the greed of a few.

8 year olds are taken from their families and taught to be soldiers and to kill. That is happening this very day in Africa!

I admire an author who can write a story like the Hunger Games to help us see what our society today is doing and I thought they did a great job in the movie.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 2:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
we dont send our children to war. there is a strict age limit involved in recruitment for military

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 5:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The Hunger Games aren't designed to be fair. That's one of the major points.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 6:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
That's right, they are the ultimate punishment for those who dared to challenge the gov't. Watching their own children have to fight/die is a deterrent to ever trying it again. The 'cheating' is just one more way to flaunt their ultimate control or to highlight the districts utter lack of any control. Even those who try to prepare their children with years of training and dehumanizing are (in the end) at the whim of the powers that be. Whether your children live/die really is just a game to us so be aware, stay in line.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 7:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
The Hunger Games are definitely not supposed to be fair, in that the designers of the games can change the variables to suit their own needs.