TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 23, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: The Hunger Games: Archive through March 23, 2012 users admin

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 6:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
My sister took her 14-year old son last night to a midnight showing. She knew they would both pay for it today, but they both love the series so much and what a great bonding moment and future memory for them. Maybe I am a bad influence, but I encouraged them to do it and wish I could have gone with them.

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 6:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
Oh, and she said the movie was amazing, everyone was very well cast, and the movie was quite true to the book and didn't sacrifice the story for endless action scenes. When it comes in "open caption" she wants to go back to see it with me.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 6:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh I agree that big events like this create special memories that can last a lifetime. I'd let my DD go in the right circumstances and with the right people.

It's wonderful that the film is so good. It's great when they can capture the feel of a book that so many have enjoyed. I'm glad the author had such a big role in making the movie and retained control that way.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 6:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I wouldn't let my 15-year old go to a midnight showing on a school night...or any other night for that matter! Of course she's also not allowed to have friends stay over on a school night...so I really am the weird mom in our circle of friends.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm sorry, I think the radio personality said $150 million.

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 7:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
Ohh, he's certainly not allowed to have sleepovers on school nights! My sister won't even let him have a cell phone yet and most of his friends do. This was just viewed as a very special occasion and worth the bending of traditional rules. How often does a phenomenon like this come along in which parent and child are both equally invested and excited? He was too young to do that for any of the Harry Potter movies.

I don't think she would have let him go with just friends or even friends with an adult chaperone, but as a mother/son event we all thought it was good.

I can't wait for the movie to come in open caption.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 7:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I would probably let my daughter go in a big group to a midnight movie in the summer as long as there were parents chaperoning...hopefully somebody else because I'm not sure I could drive that late at night...of course the fact is to get to a movie from my house is a rather long drive cross-country.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 7:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
It's after curfew....against the law. I wouldn't let my 8th grader go without me at midnight. It will be the same that weekend at the matinee.

I'm with ya Sia, I'd have said NO WAY too, hell I barely let sis go when she was 17 to a midnight showing of the twilight movie. I caved because a parent was going and assured me boyfriends were NOT.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I'm very confused. I was getting the vibe that this movie is extremely violent. I was invited to go see the movie tonight, I accepted, then heard it was about 24 children fighting to the death, so I backed out.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Actually I would say that this movie is more about survival and politics and the triumph of the human spirit over all else, and how a person can make change if they are willing to sacrifice all for it.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Sia, I'm with you, I think 13 is too young. I let my 17 year old go on a school night to a HP or Twilight midnight opening with a big group of friends all of whom I really trust and have known for years. I told her in advance though that she had to go to school the next day. I told her that was one of the perks of being such a good student and responsible not only with her schoolwork but all aspects of her life.

She is now 18 and she went to the midnight show last night and so did my 15 year old. But they are on spring break.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Lex, while it may be about many other things as well, the movie IS about kids fighting to the death in a post apocalytic world.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Lexie, that is the story. I've read the book and it was heartwrenching in places and violent. I don't know how much blood the movie shows. But for someone who doesn't like violence, I did like the books. I'm not sure if I would like the movie.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Well, I felt bad because he pre-ordered the tickets so I told him I would go. I'll just cover my eyes... A LOT !!!!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'm waiting to hear some parent reviews. My DD 10 wants to read the books. I said 'after the movie' but now am wondering if the's ready for the movie. She totally freaked out over Jaws and the 'blood', and that was at home on a small TV.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I would have taken my kids at that age to a midnight showing. It would be a fun memory. I spent the night in a CVS parking lot with my then 14-year-old daughter and her friends for Backstreet Boys tickets. It wasn't a school night but it was a very fun time and the girls all still talk about it.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Let's be honest... our kids can handle a midnight showing, less sleep and school the next day better then our old bones (mine anyway) :-)

I let my 18 yr old dd take my 15 yr old dd to the midnight showing of one of the Potter movies a few years back. It was a great experience for them and they still talk about it. The temp tattoos the theatre handed out, the way the staff was in costume, the (really lame) entertainment while they were in line. Now they are in University and working and didn't even think about going to the midnight show of Hunger Games. They did pay extra to get reserved seating at a deluxe theatre for the 9pm show tonight.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
My sons had a hard enough time getting up for school when they went to bed at a reasonable time!

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
Brenda, my sister's humble opinion is that the child should at least be in middle school, not just because of the violence, but because it would also be more difficult for someone younger to grasp the greater message of the story. I think our conversation was just about the books, though. I will ask her what she thinks about the movie.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
They did a really good job on the violence in the movie. There is very little of it and not graphic at all. Just like they left out the nudity that was in the book (it was not graphic nudity just states someone was nude.) The camera moves quite fast during the fights and it is very jumpy. So there is not much to see.

Yes it is about 24 kids who fight to the death, but it is about so much more.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
i just saw it. the premise of this movie is far more disturbing than letting a tween watch a midnight movie on a school nite!

Im actually shocked this book is so popular.

Movie was slow until last hour. I thought it needed more action but then thought no because that would entail watching more children kill.

the 2 leads had NO chemistry at all.

Woody was great as was Lenny Kravitz, yum!

Our showing only had 25 ppl in the theater.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
What can you say? It is a horrific premise but it is fiction (thank goodness). I had real reservations about how much I would like the book before I read it but I thought it was great. And kids have always been used to some pretty nasty stuff. In another thread we were discussing the old fairy tales kids used to read long ago. Pretty grim stuff (pardon the pun).

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
They weren't supposed to have chemistry. She wasn't in love with him and had to try to pretend to be.

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
That's the way it is through the books up until the very end.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, true. I kept telling myself that I watched Fri the 13th when I was a teen and teens got graphically killed in those.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Escapee, but even then I didnt feel chemistry
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
she did have it with dark hair boy and if there is a sequel I imagine it will be about her with that guy. A love triangle ala Twilight. We will have Team Peter! lol

btw, are there sequels to this book?