TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 23, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: The Hunger Games: Archive through March 23, 2012 users admin

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 9:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
We have tickets for the midnight showing. Everyone is so excited!

Loremma

04-25-2004

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Loremma a private message Print Post    
I read the books and was kinda blah about them. I enjoyed them but not excited. Then when I heard they were making a movie I got so excited. Then reread the books and loved them. So you have to come back and post your impression.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I've only read the first book so far but I thought it was amazingly good. I'm looking forward to the movie as well.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
You all know how I feel about these books so needless to say I can't wait to see the movie!

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
I don't see the hype of this movie so I am not wasting my money to see the movie.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I can't wait! We are going next weekend because my sister and niece will be up here and we've all read the books.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I have my tickets for the midnight showing!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 6:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
One of our radio personalities went to see it last night and said it was really, really good - but really, really long (as in don't buy a large drink before you go into the theatre long...LOL). She said Jennifer Lawrence acted circles around everyone else, and that everyone else was really good but Jennifer Lawrence was just THAT good (and much better than the Twilight cast but I'm not going to judge). It is anticipated that it will reach $100 million in sales this weekend and possibly more. The only two movies who have done that before are Spiderman and Johnny Depp's Alice in Wonderland.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
19 films have made over 100M on a weekend. Not sure how many are over 3 days.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I have no desire to see this movie. The basic premise is not one that appeals to me.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I can certainly understand why people don't like the concept and it certainly isn't for everyone. I was more than a little uncomfortable with it myself (and of course that hasn't changed). However, the book was very well done and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Kookliebird I felt the same way. I thought it was going to be like Running Man or the Japanese film/book that I cannot remember the name of. My daughter made me read the first book, insisting I would love it and I did. I read it in two days and finished all three books within a week. It was more of a 1984, Animal Farm kind of vibe to it. Social unrest and the such. I will not spoil for anyone. There is a lot more in these books then is presented in the media.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
BTW my hubby (who has to see the film with me) keeps making fun and saying it is the new twilight. He is going to be really surprised and will enjoy the film. He keeps telling people he is going to see a kids movie. Rolling eyes at the sky.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I doubt that I will even read the books. I didn't care to see or read any of the Twilight series either.

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
Twilight can't hold a candle to Hunger Games. :-)

Jewels

09-22-2000

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
I would never touch anything Twilight related...I LOVED Hunger Games. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I read the Twilight series and I enjoyed it. I'm a bit reluctant to compare different books (because they are different) but I think the general consensus is that the Hunger Games is a better book and a significantly better movie. The heroine of the Hunger Games is a much stronger, deeper and more appealing character.

Sia

03-10-2002

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
My 13-yr-old began reading "The Hunger Games" on a friend's Kindle at school, then begged me to get it at home on my Kindle. After she finished the book (quickly!), I read it in a day. I liked the book and found it reminiscent of "The Giver" in some ways. I liked the book and think the movie will probably be pretty good, but I won't see it until it comes to television or DVD.

Here's my complaint: the movie opens at midnight tonight, and my dear little 13-year-old daughter thought I was going to allow her to attend tonight's MIDNIGHT SHOWING of "Hunger Games" at our local mall--ON A SCHOOL NIGHT, UNCHAPERONED. Omg, how she bawled, fussed, pouted, & cried over my refusal to let her go! Geez, very tiring. I don't care how many other 8th-graders' parents are allowing their daughters to go to a midnight movie on a school night, but I have two children, & it's my job to do what I think is best for them. It's my choice to keep my child safely at home where she'll get a good night's sleep and be able to attend school tomorrow without falling asleep on her desk. I will allow her to see the movie on a WEEKEND or after school Friday.

Opinions, please? Thanks in advance. (Mods, if this is the wrong thread for this, please move my post.)

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Sia, of course she can't go to a midnight movie on a school night! You made the right decision.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
How these conversations work in our house.

"Dad! All my friends are going!"

"Is your BFF Gwen going?" "Um ... no"

"Is your other BFF Susan going?" "Um ... no"

"Is Dani going?" "Um ... no"

"Well then who is going?" "Uh Darla and her friends are going."

"But you hardly know Darla and those other kids."

"But Dad! Everyone is going!"

"Sigh"

The names were changed to protect the innocent. :-)

Pamy

01-02-2002

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I let my son go to the midnight showing of Harry Potter ...figured he should experience it. I still remember being in 8th grade and standing in line at midnight for concert tix one year. It was such a fun thing. The rule was he HAD to get up for school no matter what. He did and then he earned the right to attend the next installment Potter's midnight show.
disclaimer*** he went with our 20 yr old family friend. I may not have let a daughter do this.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Just saw on FB that a friend's teen daughter is going (I think she's 13). I was a little surprised as it is a school night, but I understand the importance of these kind of events. I might let my daughter go, but not unsupervised. I'd drink a Mt. Dew and join them.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Loved the film. Midnight showing was good but too much talking by the idiot beside me who had to ask his boyfriend a question every ten seconds.

Would not let my 13 year old go ona school night.

On that note I have to be up in 3 hours. Crap!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 3:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Ah Sia! I loved The Giver, one of the best books for that age group ever written.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 4:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
The Japanese film/book in my post was Battle Royal. Same premise but insanely violent. Films were really hard to buy.