TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Hunger Games

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: The Hunger Games users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 23, 2012Pippin0425 03-23-12  4:48 am
Archive through March 23, 2012Pamy25 03-23-12  4:01 pm
Archive through March 30, 2012Roxip25 03-30-12  7:09 am
Archive through April 18, 2012Jimmer25 04-18-12  8:49 pm
Archive through April 26, 2012Mameblanche25 04-26-12  12:42 pm
Archive through August 19, 2012Sheilaree25 08-19-12  6:00 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 6:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We watched the movie last night at home. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the next one. Actually got us interested in the books and we'll probably buy and download those today. The movie was a little slow in the beginning but picked up. Personally I wasn't familiar with the books or the story line and initially thought the movie was all about the game itself and might be very violent. Yes, there was some violence but not nearly what I thought there might be and they didn't really dwelt on it like some other movies.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 7:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Just finished the last book, Mockingjay. Hoping to have time this week to watch Hunger Games on Shaw Demand this week.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Good movie. Loved Woody H. As Haymitch and Lenny K. As Cinna. Also didn't recognize the game tv host but he was great. Snow played by Donald Sutherland was exactly how I pictured him. Great casting all the way around. Effie was awesome too.

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, August 20, 2012 - 3:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Stanley Tucci played the TV game host Caesar Flickerman.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 6:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mack, he was great!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree that the casting was extremely good all the way around from the main characters through the supporting characters. I haven't been a fan of Woody Harrelson in many movies and I wasn't happy to hear he was cast as Haymitch but he was great in that role.

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
I may watch it over the weekend but I was glad I didn't see it in the movies I didn't want to waste any money on it

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, August 24, 2012 - 10:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Two of us went to see this today without reading the books or knowing anything about the story and we both came out wanting to immediately read all the books in order.

Woody H is always such a surprise. I respect him more and more as an actor each time I see him. But then I thought the entire cast did a great job!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Read the first book about 2 months ago. Was not a huge fan of the book-- the entire premise is such a turn off for me. I didn't feel there was enough horror around it all, maybe that's because the perspective of the book is from Katniss. I felt like we were inside her head in the book. I had wondered how the film would do that.

I watched the DVD last night and I found the movie to be good, but I think they failed to get us inside of Kitness's head. I don't think they even tried. I felt like I just followed her around. I think the movie did a better job of showing the horror the people felt about having to go through this every year.

I'd say the film is a good companion piece to the books. It hits the important points, is visually interesting. I have a feeling people who see just the movie will realize how much they are missing. This is what happened to me with Twilight. Saw the movie, realized I didn't have all the scoop, and then went and read the books. I think the Twilight movies do a bit better job of getting inside Bella's head, perhaps due to voice over narration?

Will probably eventually pick up book 2. I talked to one teen that loved the first book and hated the subsequent ones, so maybe I'll be the opposite. I hope Woody Harrelson is in the subsequent books. He steals every scene he's in.

spoiler, spoiler, spoiler question: I don't recall in the book that guy being locked in a room with the poison berries. Was that just fabricated for the movie? Or perhaps is in the start of book 2?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I don't recall that in the book either but since the book was from Katniss' perspective and the movie provided a third person view there were quite a few things in the movie that weren't in the book.

You'll see Haymitch again.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, August 27, 2012 - 2:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Brenda, I've been pondering you're question all night and all I can come up with is vague fuzziness. I know that scene wasn't in the book, but I'm pretty sure at some point in the series it was at least strongly hinted at that he'd been killed. When I saw the movie, it ran through my head that he died cuz he failed.

Then Caleb asked what was going on (he hasn't read the books) and Darren told him that because they didn't get their way and have one winner, that the dude was killed in the books. I'll have to ask him tomorrow (er, later today) if he remembers exactly what the books said or what book it was in (I'm thinking the second one.)

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, August 27, 2012 - 5:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
This is the only reference that I or my dds can remember. It's at the very beginning of book2:
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
"I have a problem, Miss Everdeen." says President Snow, "A problem that began the moment you pulled out those poisonous berries in the arena."
"If the Head Gamemaker, Seneca Crane, had had any brains, he'd had blown you to dust right then. But he had an unfortunate sentimental streak. So here you are. Can you guess where he is?" he asks.
I nod because, by the way he says it, it's clear that Seneca Crane has been executed.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, August 27, 2012 - 6:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Thanks War and Rissa. I sometimes miss thing when reading (start to nod off), but I was pretty sure I didn't miss anything at the end of the book, so that explains it.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, August 27, 2012 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Brenda, well said in your 12:46 post. I felt the same way about the movie that they really didn't get into Katniss's head or the depth of her emotion's.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, August 27, 2012 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Rissa, thank you!!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I loved the first book, wasn't a huge fan of the second book but liked the third book.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
i'm in full agreement with you on that Roxi. But the second book was necessary to further the story.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, September 07, 2012 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I had to laugh last night. Every year in the small town I live in we have what is known as the "Cotton Fest" - complete with vendors, live music, carnival rides and carnival food - that takes over our downtown from Thursday-Saturday. I was strolling through the vendors last night and one of the novelties being sold was bows and arrows...never seen them there before, so I guess that is the Hunger Games effect!

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Two of us went to see this today without reading the books or knowing anything about the story and we both came out wanting to immediately read all the books in order.

EEEE! I am so happy you had that reaction! That is the best reaction I can hope for with anyone who sees the movie before reading the books.

In fact, I LOVE the books so much that it pains me to know that people go to the movie before reading them. I really did think they did a commendable job making the film but it just doesn't COMPARE at all to how detailed and wonderful the book is.

I'm surprised that so many liked Woody Harrelson as Haymitch! I mean I don't think he was terrible per say, just maybe a little less accurate than I expected? Their decision on how he should look and act well...it wasn't quite distasteful enough?? Haha, no really, I expected him to be quite a bit more disheveled and slovenly as easily describes him that way in the book. I really got a sense that he is a shame to District 13 within the book. He's disgusting slob and a drunkard, and I felt he should have looked more soiled and unkempt. Now don't get me wrong, I love me some Haymitch, but without a doubt he is much more of a mess in the book and I like him that way!

And I'm saddened that everywhere I turn people say that they did not enjoy the second book! It drives me crazy that I can't seem to find anyone who liked it as much as I did. I often tell people that I have a hard time figuring out which I love more because I almost like Catching Fire MORE than The Hunger Games.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
It appears I have almost a year before Catching Fire comes out so sometime next year I'll pick up that book. I did read the book before seeing the movie, but I googled each of the characters so I would know what they looked like in the movie as I read the book. I really hate it when I read a book and then later see a movie and feel like it's been poorly cast because the movie characters don't look like what I pictured.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I liked Catching Fire. Not as much as The Hunger Games but it was still very good. Don't get me started on Mockingjay. I didn't like it nearly as well for a number of reasons.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Perhaps that's a good strategy, Brenda because I have had issues with that where the actors didn't quite fit what I'd expected when it was transferred from book to movie. (although I must be a glutten for punishment, because I probably will not change my ways. I really do like imagining my own characters at first.) Peeta for instance, I hated the idea of Josh Hutcherson playing him when I first found out, and you are right that it was because I'd pictured Peeta differently in my head, but the funny thing is, as I watched THG preview several times and looked at on-set pictures over the course of time I began to soften toward him. It also helped that leading up to the time the movie was released it had been awhile since I first read HG so I think I had forgotten how I'd originally imagined him, lol

Aww, thanks Jimmer for telling me that you liked it :-)

*****SLIGHTLY SPOILERISH FOR CATCHING FIRE******
I think the reason it was so brilliant to me is that I really was blindsided by the way the story went and I'm a sucker for surprises. I was expecting the Victory Tour and Katniss and Peeta mentoring the next tributes, so when things developed differently I was abuzz with shock and excitment because it was so NOT what I was expecting! And just the way the arena was put together for the 75th annual HG, I thought it was a very intelligent and unique way to give us the same game but in a whole different way and I loved seeing how it unfolded.

Don't get me started on Mockingjay.

Haha, oh but I'd love to get you started. Do tell what you thought! I'm very interested to know.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I blind bought Battle Royale (2001) for $5(+tax) from Walmart this morning. You might enjoy it too if you like THG.

Have a wonderful 2013 everyone

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 11:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
you too KL!!! xoxo

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: