TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 01, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: It is Oscar time!: Archive through March 01, 2011 users admin

Prisonerno6

08-31-2002

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 5:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Prisonerno6 a private message Print Post    
James Franco is working on his doctorate in writing from Yale. In the pre-show, he said he was flying out to LA for Oscar rehearsals on the weekend, but was on the East coast for class during the week.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 6:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I thought it odd that Jack Nicholson wasn't there. neither was George Clooney.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 7:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
My momma always told me if I didn't have anything nice to say about someone/thing not to say anything at all.

One observation: In Memorium there were actually very few famous-to-the-masses people who had passed away. Most were behind the scenes folks I've never heard of.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 7:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know who dressed Anne Hathaway?

Usually, it's Rachael Zoe (who has her own show on Bravo). She's usually a wreck trying to get her one dress, let alone 10 or so looks.

If she did, hopefully, we'll get to see Rachael getting Anne ready for the Oscars on her new season.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
WRG to the In Memorium tribute, my possible only (somewhat distant) claim to fame is that William Fraker died this year. He was a cinematographer (incl. Rosemary's Baby, War Games, etc.) and he was my mom's cousin.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Not only were the promos really good, so was the number that Anne did with Hugh Jackman 2 years ago. So her spiteful solo this time bothered me also.

Beth4freedom, it wasn't spiteful. It was a joke. Hugh was never scheduled to sing with her. I saw him in an interview after the show and he was laughing about it. I thought it was cute and obviously exaggerated.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree. The promos were better and more fun to watch than their actual performance as hosts.

Overall it was an okay show. Not exceptional but not terrible either. A little dull and workmanlike.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Overall it was a pleasant night -- no real surprises, but not a total bore. As hosts I thought She was very good, energetic. Would have loved to hear her sing more! I think he looked a bit nervous. Overall it didn't seem like they had much material, and I'm guessing that was by design. I liked the opening bit and the "musical" bit. So, I don't think their hosting was a disaster, but it wasn't spectacular like the Billy Crystal years.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Oscars: Least fave dress: Cate Blanchett. My fave Dress: Nicole Kidman. Congrats to The King's Speech on their awards. :-) The usual frisson of excitement was lacking for me last night, except for a few paltry, special moments. James Franco and Anne Hathaway ... Oy, he seemed to 'phone it in, and she was overcompensating.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Babyjax re "it wasn't spiteful. It was a joke."

Well, I probably didn't word it very well. I was aware that Anne Hathaway's ribbing of Hugh Jackman was meant to be a joke, but it just hit a very "off" note for me. It would have been much funnier if she claimed someone else had canceled on her, and then she had done role reversal by teasing him to come up on stage as replacement, kind of mirroring what they did that was so funny two years ago.

Panda

07-15-2005

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
Thoughts on Oscar fashion:
Natalie looked pretty but I did not like the matchy-earrings.
I liked Mila Kunis's look - I usually do not like drapy looks but with her hair she had an old Hollywood style.
Liked Halle Berry and Sandra B, too.
A lot of great hair last night, I love Anne's color hair - it wasn't so harsh.

The color of Amy Adam's dress looked great with her hair/eyes but the jewelry ruined it.

Not loving Scarlett Johanson's look - that messy hair is not chic at all!
I don't know I think Russell Brand's head looked so big it was scaring me..haha

Couchtomato

09-09-2008

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Couchtomato a private message Print Post    
Am I the only one that thought it looked like a pigeon pooped on the shoulders of Cate Blanchett's dress?

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
OK, I'm one of the few on the record as enjoying the show. I remain amused that Roger Ebert, whom I really like, was bemoaning the lack of Bruce Vilanche's "talent" on the show only to later retract it because the material he thought wasn't up to Vilanch's quality was, in fact, Vilanch's. Even on twitter, facts might be good, Rog. And the dearth of quality jokes is precisely what Vilanche gives every year.

Kirk Douglas seriously annoyed me. For those who hated the broadcast, it was a metaphor for the night: someone who couldn't let himself get out of the spotlight, performing little bits he thought might be amusing, but seeming a little desperate and pathetic instead. That said, I liked Melissa Leo (and I have been very critical of her shenanigans leading up to the Oscars). I thought her f bomb was totally inadvertent and she seemed genuinely embarrassed by it.

I enjoyed all the technical people thanking their "union casts" who work on all the behind the scenes stuff. Also liked the Best Doc winner mentioning the sad truth: none of the fraudsters on Wall Street have gone to prison for what they did to the economy. That said, the film wasn't spectacular and was, IMO, maybe the weakest of the nominees.

Colin Firth's speech was very good. Ms Portman's, OTOH, was so damned boring. My friends and I all wanted them to play her off the stage--it was like the worst kind of Oscar speech, naming agents and managers and lawyers and producers and blah blah blah. A bit of that is fine, and probably even necessary, but the speech as a whole seemed relatively heartless.

I don't even remember the Best Director award being handed out. But overall, I think they gave awards to the right films. I preferred Social Network over King's Speech, but King's Speech is undoubtedly a very good film and won't be one of those films you look at in 5 years and say, how the hell did that win? like you do with Shakespeare in Love (for example).

My best dressed:
Natalie. She always brings it.
Mila Kunis.
Michelle Williams. Like Mia Farrow without the nutiness.
Reese Witherspoon. And I almost never like her.
Mandy Moore. On the red carpet. Not in the performance segment.
Hailee Steinfeld. Right down to the shoes.
Gwyneth Paltrow. In Calvin Klein and looking amazing.
Anne Hathaway. In EVERYTHING she wore last night, but especially the red dress on the red carpet.

Unsure:
Marissa Tomei.

Bad:
Sharon Stone. Like a blonde Elvira.
Melissa Leo. No. That collar looked foolish.
Nicole Kidman. She's almost always well dressed, so this was a rare miss IMO. Too many details.
Bullock. Just because.
Cate Blanchette. Surprised me cuz she usually looks great, but that thing was maybe the worst dress of the night. Worst overall look goes to Ms Stone, however.

Wow. I really typed too much. Sorry about that.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Have I mentioned that I hated Cate Blanchett's dress? Evidently she shares Helena Bonham Carter's penchent for wacky-wear. While Jennifer Hudson was gorgeous, her PEEK-A-BOOBIES were distracting. Speaking of boobs: It was reassuring to see the most powerful woman in the free world, Oprah, wearing a dress that was missile-ready.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Just a note about Kirk Douglas on the Oscars -
Unfortunately, one of the possible side effects from a stroke is that you 'lose your filters' and have trouble staying on topic. Therefore, I blame the producers for putting him in the position where he was allowed free reign on the stage. He's an actor who's used to the limelight, but is no longer in it. Couple that with the effects of the stroke and lack of filters, to me, the producers succeeded in making him a pathetic person instead of the incredible actor he was during his prime. They should have known better.

Panda

07-15-2005

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
I liked Sandra's red dress but her eyes were so squinty! Or small...lol

I agree, Jennifer Hudson's boobie outline, while very sexy was all I could look at.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Panda, it's like they had an odd tan on them. I realize when you lose a lot of weight, your boobs tend to flatten out some. That my be in an indication to not wear a dress that shows them in such a way.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
O made a confession during her Oscar show this afternoon that she erred on stage last night when she presented an Oscar. After O handed the Oscar to the winner, she did not step back from the microphone. She just stood there. Someone had to pull her back by the arm. She poo pooed the mistake today, but I actually got the sense that it was kind of a big on-stage faux pas.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Hillary Swank did the same thing, I think.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Who knew . . . Wally Pfister who won Oscar for cinematography for Inception is originally from this immediate area. Home boy!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Helena Bonham Carter had a much more subdued appearance than I had expected, but then I ran across this photo:

Helena Bonham Carter

For Queen and country, flying the Union Jack!! She never disappoints.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
My one tiny annoyance last night was how a few presenters were on for too long while some of the winners were given the music cue to get off the stage in the middle of their acceptance speech. Um, whose night is it any way? (Looking at you for one, Justin Timberlake!)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 28, 2011 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
My favorite moments. Loved the winners surging onto the stage to celebrate.. that could have gone on longer, IMO.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/02/28/the-ps22-chorus-and-all-the-oscar-winners-academy-awards-video/?ncid=wsc-tv_replay-watchnow

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 6:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
OK......so overall I think the show was ok. I liked Anne Hathaway but could have done without James Franco. I agree the commercials were better then the show.

I liked the dresses overall. Exceptions to this were Cate Blanchet and Marissa Tomei (sp).

The singing was great. Enjoyed Celine, Mandy Moore and the kids. I was happy to see they did not cut it out when they ran late.

I did not mind Kirk Douglas. He reminde me of Dick Clark on New Years. I thought he held his own.

As there were so many great films nominated I was happy to see that there was not one runanway winner. The awards were spread out over several films.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Any appearance by Mr Douglas is fine by me!

I also have seen James Franco in enough interviews to appreciate his style and thought Anne did very well for what they were given ...is Billy crystal still my favorite as someone who missed the Bob Hope years, of course, but i liked the opening more than some in recent years and thought it was decent overall...