TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 26, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Doctor Who/Torchwood: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 26, 2011 users admin

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 4:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I still feel the same as I did during the premiere. It's not that I don't like the new doctor, I do, it's that I don't like him as much as Tennant. If anything was going to change that though, it would have been the Christmas Special, which I think was one of the best Christmas specials Doctor Who has ever done.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 5:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Christy - You were at the museum in Cardiff...I am green with envy!!!! How fun that must have been!!!

Rissa - The Christmas Special is that part of the series or was that something different? I'm looking at my season #4 discs and don't see any mention of that. Thanks!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 5:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Reenie, every year they do a special Christmas episode apart from the regular series. On itunes you can purchase the Matt Smith one for $2.49 (it's called: Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol). They occasionally ran other 'special episodes' as well with David Tennant and you can download those as a package (there are four of them in a package costing $7.96 and 8 in another package for $15.92). I am not awake enough to cross-reference them to see if there are any duplicates. LOL Probably the best way to determine the Christmas ones is to go to IMDB.com and see when the episodes aired:

Dec 25th 2009 - The End of Time (pt 1+2)
Dec 25th 2008 - The Next Doctor
Dec 25th 2007 - Voyage of the Damned
Dec 25th 2006 - Runaway Bride
Dec 25th 2005 - The Christmas Invasion

I purchased all the seasons off itunes so have no idea if any of these were included on DVD's. The Christmas Invasion especially is vital to the whole season since it's the first episode with David Tenant.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Rissa - thank you so much for that info!!! Much appreciated. I will check it all out.

As I've mentioned earlier, I don't know anyone else who watches this show so I am very excited to find "a Doctor Who Home" here!

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
Some sad news for fans of both the old and the new versions...and the week of the season premiere too..

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a315485/elisabeth-sladen-dies-aged-63.html

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
OH MY!!! I am half-way through watching the most recent season of her show. How sad, she was too young.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
She was so young, very sad!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 7:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
That's such a shock, I didn't even know she was ill. She'd worked, and looked her usual wonderful self, so recently. What a terrible shame.

Sarasmile

02-09-2007

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sarasmile a private message Print Post    
This is so sad. One of the first episodes of Dr. Who that I watched was the one she was on with K-9 (I actually chose that epi because the actor that played Giles in "Buffy" was also on it & I love him).
She was truly a lovely actress and brought so much character to that role.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Oh how sad. My condolences to her family & friends.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Well Today's The Day!! 6pm (or 9pm) - don't forget!!

I think episode one is the one based in Utah.

And looking at the tv guide, the hour before it is something called "Doctor Who Rewind" so might be worth taping too, although the description makes it sound a bit spoilerish. Also there are Dr Who repeats all day.

Oh and.... the episode was only 45mins in the UK, which is weird, as it's normally an hour. So it will fit easily into one of our hour long including adverts slots. I wonder if they made it that length so it's easier for the international market.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Article in our local paper mentions a tribute to Elizabeth Slader tonight, didn't say whether it would be before or after the episode airs.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
So bummed the next batch of Torchwood will NOT be on BBC America but on Starz (or Showtime, can't remember which) - we don't have that cable network (and already paying extra just to get BBC America.
However, excited for new Dr Who episodes.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 6:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
"She's packing again!!" RFLMAO

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Hehe, I only got to watch part of it tonight, we'll finish it tomorrow, but cracked up over that line!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 10:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I missed the Elizabeth Sladen thing if it was on - forgot to look for it and fastforwarded over the adverts. And the Dr Who Confidential too, I'd like to see it after the show but when they break it up like that in the middle it just spoils the flow (and I'm too lazy afterwards to go back and watch).

Good episode though! The ending came too suddenly as I wasn't expecting a two-parter. The aliens you forget the instant you look away from them are scary.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 4:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
When they went to all the trouble of publishing it I figured it would be an actual tribute. But unless it was only aired only in some areas, all I got was a two second screen that said: In Memory of Elisabeth Sladen with her dob and dod.

The article makes it sound (I will see if I can find it online btw, it was in the Sat. April 23rd Toronto Star) like those aliens are the new villian for this season and will be an ongoing threat although it doesn't say that directly.

New Who

Can't find the article about Sladen online.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 4:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
K, I just found the coolest website!!

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

I think I am going to spend the day hunting down a variety of articles but for this thread.... search for Sarah Jane and narrow newspapers to Canada or right down to the Toronto Star. Although I would imagine the British papers will have more indepth articles on Sladen.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Apparently they had a full 15 minute tribute to her shown in the UK. I guess it would be a bit much here, as a lot of viewers might have only seen her a few times.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
True 'nough. Her show has never aired in N.A. unless I am mistaken. I downloaded the seasons through itunes.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, April 25, 2011 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I agree, there's something totally spooky about the aliens you see and then forget completely about as soon as you look away from them! Can't wait to see next weeks episode.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, April 25, 2011 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Something's been bugging me.

If that really was the Doctor's Death, does it mean that this Doctor is the last ever Doctor?

I know it was 200 years in the Doctor's future, but as he was in that body, how can he regenerate between now and his death and still die as the Matt Smith body??

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, April 25, 2011 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
btw, if anyone wants to see the full tribute to Elisabeth Sladen it's here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycxBiGX8T64&feature=related

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 1:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I know it was 200 years in the Doctor's future, but as he was in that body, how can he regenerate between now and his death and still die as the Matt Smith body??"

I'm guessing a paradox of some kind. Even though River said they couldn't change the future without causing one, I still think that they'll find a loophole to do it without ripping the universe apart.

I have learned to never ever take anything for granted on this show!

Hmmmmmm....now that I think about it, it is possible that the Doctor dying was actually the paradox!

The Doctor could have already been alive past the point we saw him die.....and the person in the space suit went back in time to kill him at the lake. Killing the Doctor in his own past at the lake would cause a paradox, which, according to River is a HUGE no-no. If that's the case, the Doctor's friends could undo the Doctor's death at some point in time by using the Tardis and that could set things right by undoing the paradox....rather than causing a paradox and ripping the universe apart.

The intricacies and possibilities of time travel in fiction are limitless!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
You're telling me they will write their way out of it, aren't you?! ;)