TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 28, 2010

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Doctor Who/Torchwood: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 28, 2010 users admin

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 2:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yeah, he's a little too young and public schoolboyish for me.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the info, Kitt!

It'll be fun to see a new Doctor. Based on that brief scene of him after the regeneration and the commercials on BBCA, "too sexy" wasn't something that occurred to me but who knows. I guess it could depend on his performance and the stories.

I just realized that the Doctor is now younger than me. Well, thank heavens the President still has some years on me.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
So far I like the new Doctor.

Kitt: The "too sexy" charge - do they mean the actor playing the Doctor or the show itself? I wondered if they were alluding to the new companion having that job as a kiss-o-gram deliverer or whatever it was. Not that I thought that was too sexy but it was a little risque for DW. Although not when compared to some of the stuff Capt. Jack has said, lol.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 11:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'm not sure Calamity. My mum heard them discussing it on the radio. It might have been the kiss-o-gram as there hasn't been any mention of it (that I heard) since that first episode.

What did you think of the story? I thought they could have done more with the new Doctor's first show.

Episode 3 has multi coloured daleks! It was a really strong episode for the Doctor character and I really like him now.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, April 19, 2010 - 4:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Just finished watching the first episode. Don't get the sexy part at all unless they are referring to the length of Amy's skirt. LOLOL I thought it was a bit *frantic* but I realize they need to get a lot of back-story in so will forgive and forget. :-) Like I said before I instantly adored both Christopher and David but this new Doctor will have to grow on me. I do like Amy Pond, she's feisty. As soon as she said it had been a further 2 yrs my 17yr old yelled out... I bet she's engaged now. Was shocked when she was right, wonder if it was the nurse or Jeff and isn't 21 a bit young? I did LOVE LOVE LOVE that they also changed the Tardis.

The Dalek's voice and speech patterns annoy me to no end but I understand that being classic elements they can't change them too much. Anything beyond being multi-coloured that is different Kitt?

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, April 19, 2010 - 4:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
FYI: The New Doctor Is In. Light/fluffy interview with Matt Smith and Karen Gillian

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, April 19, 2010 - 6:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
GurlieGirl watched Dr. Who for the first time in her 44 years this weekend. It will be staying on my Tivo Season Pass. They had a show beforehand called the "Ultimate Guide" and it helped a ton.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, April 19, 2010 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Rissa, yes, DEFINITELY something different other than colour about the daleks in episode three! I'd have to spoil a lot of the plot if I told you so you'll probably rather wait and find out while watching. But the dalek voice is the same.

Glad you're a new fan Gurliegirl! If you ever get access to repeats of the seasons with Christopher Eccleston or David Tennant they're well worth a watch too.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, April 19, 2010 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
No, don't spoil. LOL It's the voice that annoys me so I know not to get my hopes up. :-)

I will echo Kitt about catching up on the first 4 seasons. If you do I would recommend Itunes or the like rather than purchasing the physical DVD's. When I was looking I could download each season digitally for $19 but the DVD's for upwards of $80. I don't need a hardcopy that badly. LOL

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, April 19, 2010 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I work in an enormous IT department. Someone here is sure to have the DVD's. I can pretty much guarantee it.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, April 19, 2010 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Kitt: I thought the story was kinda ordinary, rather predictable even, but that didn't trouble me because I figured the main point was introducing the new Doctor and companion and it did a decent job at that. I mean, I liked both of them well enough so I'd call that a success, lol. And they did link this Doctor with his previous incarnations too so that was good. But as soon as I noticed the myth logo on the computer I thought, "is this going to be another recurring motif that I never really understand?". I didn't see the Ultimate Guide special.

The Daleks' voices grate on my ears too. Of course, it's hard to sound pleasant when one is always screeching about exterminating others.

Gurliegirl: Welcome to the thread!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, April 19, 2010 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
That's what I thought too - nothing special in the story, which I wonder about because it's not just a new Doctor but it's a new writer too. I thought the first ep would be a little more spectacular!

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to watching more eps. Finally something to Tivo on the weekends.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
There are two connected series as well Gurlie. Torchwood is a spin-off that is definately meant for a more adult audience and on the other end of the spectrum is The Sarah Jane Adventures for kids. Torchwood is based on Captain Jack Harkness, a man who can't die and runs a Cardiff, Wales based group that defends the planet from the strange and weird. He was originally seen in a few Doctor Who episodes. Sarah Jane was a past companion of The Doctor and is now a journalist who has alien adventures with three teenage friends.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I adored David Tennant, (but then I was moritfied Christopher Eccelstone was leaving as well), but I'm liking the new Doctor. I was unaware it started this weekend on Space, I had to watch it on line, really enjoyed it and the previews look great. Well done to the new Doctor, he's stepping into big shoes.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Finally watched the new "11th Hour" intro of the new Dr. I like Matt Smith's version just based on the first ep. And I like the new companion. I'm really looking forward to the new season.

As far as the "sexy" bit, I can't speak to Matt Smith, but Karen Gillan is an unconventional beauty that I very much think is a sexy woman.

I look forward to the stories they'll tell this season.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 8:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/torchwood-snuffed-at-fox.html

Fox won't be showing the US Torchwood! BBC Worldwide are shopping it around. BBCA or Syfy should take it! (If we're not getting a UK one we need a US one!)

Sunshyne4u

06-17-2003

Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
loved the new doctor who, HATe with a PASSION that new companion. But since I disliked David Tennant's Mugging and bareing teeth, i will gladly trade him in for a irritating redhead. LOL

only have seen episode one of new season. wasnt as good as I expected.

as for torchwood, Didnt they kill off three of the Regular Cast?? I really liked those characters although I wasnt sure how long a dead person could continue to be written into a plotline.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
At the end of the last Torchwood we were left with Jack and a pregnant Gwen. I assumed the next season would have Gwen kind of consulting for a while after Jack had found some new colleagues. (The site is Torchwood Cardiff, so they can get new staff from other Torchwood sites if Jack doesn't meet them somewhere else.)

I have a feeling IF the Torchwood US happens and is a hit, Jack and one of his colleagues from that will be in the next UK season, if there is one. And like I said, I'm hoping with Gwen here and there, because I really liked her.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
At the end of the premiere they showed clips from upcoming episodes. I saw a few seconds of a huge cave filled with Stone Angels and it reminded me of just how much I enjoyed their first appearance in 'Blink'. I dug it out today and rewatched it and it's just as creepy and thrilling as ever. I definitely recommend that anyone who hasn't seen it yet to do so. It's one of my absolutely favourite Doctor Who episodes.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It's amazing how those stone angels were truly frightening! It took me right back to the days of having to watch Dr Who while peeking out from behind the safety of the sofa.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, April 23, 2010 - 10:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
'Blink' was a great episode, maybe my favorite of Tennant's tenior. LOVE the Weeping Angel villains...much more than the Daleks or the Cybermen...

Calamity

10-18-2001

Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
And "Blink" was one of the episodes penned by the new guy in charge of DW, Stephen Moffat, so that could be a good sign, Kitt. I had checked his credits the other day - all the DW shows he wrote were very good to excellent, imho. Apparently he also worked on Coupling and Murder Most Horrid too (I only ever saw one epi of that but it was hilarious. It involved Dawn French as the Angel of Death, some woman who was a huge fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber's version of The Phantom of the Opera, and my favorite Police song, "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic") along with many other programs.

"Blink" really was scary but it was so funny too. The brother had some of the best lines:
"'The angels have the phone box', that's my favorite. I've got that on a t-shirt".
"You only have 17 dvds?!"

And Sally Sparrow was the best!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I didn't know Moffat wrote Blink - that does indeed bode well! Coupling is one of my favourite comedies but Dr Who has to have a mix of comedy and story, so I wasn't sure how well he would do. Sounds like he already has a lot of experience!

I'm back in the US so I have to wait a couple of weeks for new episodes now. But I did see that the special is repeated today, so I'm going to watch that as several of you recommended it.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I was pretty upset by this second episode. Just couldn't believe the Doctor was going to do what he said he was going to do (even though he said that he wouldn't be the Doctor anymore once he did it). Thank heavens Amy intervened - although it still wasn't exactly a happy ending, imho. (Although I don't even want to consider what horrifyingly depressing ending would have happened if this had been TW instead of DW. I'd probably be a wreck.)

If the humans had fled Earth because of solar flares, why couldn't some other ship(s) help the British people? Why did they do that to the star whale instead? I get that the show was making a point with what was done to the star whale (and I appreciated that message, as I did the story about the Ood) but it seemed like there was an awful big plot hole there.