TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 02, 2010

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Doctor Who/Torchwood: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 02, 2010 users admin

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, November 16, 2009 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Which one's "The Other Doctor?" Do you mean "The Next Doctor" from last year or is it a new special?

I'm looking forward to Waters of Mars, glad you liked it!

Sarasmile

02-09-2007

Monday, November 16, 2009 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sarasmile a private message Print Post    
Oooops - meant the Next Doctor

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, November 20, 2009 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Got a twitter:

EWAusielloFiles

This just in: Doctor Who: The End of Time, Part One to air on BBC America on Dec. 26 at 9 pm.

So glad we're getting it so early, I hate having to avoid all the spoilers.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
And they've announced:

Doctor Who: The End of Time, Part Two to air on BBC America on Jan. 2 at 9 pm!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I finally saw "The Next Doctor" although I almost missed it again.

Looking forward to "The Waters of Mars". But it'll be strange to have a new Doctor soon even though I've seen a fair number of the others.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, December 18, 2009 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Remember tomorrow for Doctor Who!

Times are for my area (West Coast but I think BBC America has an East Coast feed):

2.30pm The Next Doctor (repeat)
3.45pm Planet of the Dead (the bus trip one, repeat)
5pm Inside the Tardis (I think this is a special about David Tennant)
6-7.20pm WATERS OF MARS (new episode)
and it repeats again at 9pm and later

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, December 18, 2009 - 11:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
More shows:
at 7.20pm (after the above) there's a Graham Norton special with David Tennant. For those who don't know Graham Norton expect adult humour.

December 23 (times are from the BBCA site, so presumable Eastern):
11am Dr Who: The Christmas Invasion (from 2005)
12pm Dr Who: The Runaway Bride (from 2006)

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 10:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It was excellent! The specials are all good too.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
No Dr Who talk all week?!

End of Time Part One starts in 7 minutes!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, December 28, 2009 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Hi, Kitt! Hope you and your family had a good holiday.

I enjoyed DW although there were enough murky parts to make me a little afraid it'll end with everything supposedly tied together but I'll still not really understand what it all meant. À la the "Bad Wolf" stuff, lol.

But this drawn-out goodbye is giving an interesting glimpse into the Doctor's psyche. He seems haunted almost. I presume that was the the cloister bell tolling at the end of "The Waters of Mars". It's one of the few things I remember from that '90s DW tv-movie with Paul McGann (on a Withnail & I-related note, I always thought it would have been cool if Richard E. Grant had appeared on DW).

I was happy to see Donna again! John Simm was great as the Master even if he had some kinda dopey lines to deliver. He has this anarchic attitude that makes him scarier than your standard-issue bad guy. But what was that about the Doctor being able to hear the drumbeat in his head? So it's not just a memory of what drove the Master mad? I laughed when Wilf (sp?) told the Doctor he had to take him so as not to leave him with Donna's mother and the Doctor agreed. I did figure out before the reveal that the other Time Lords were involved somehow - that'll be a nice change of pace from the usual Daleks &/or Cybermen showdown. I like the Ood too so was glad they were brought back. Was that Timothy Dalton? I think I've only seen him in one movie so I didn't recognize his voice.

Oh and I agree that the specials were good too. Seeing Christopher Eccleston again reminded me how much I had liked him as the Doctor. I still think he had a unique take on the role and it's not easy to come up something different given so many others have played the character already.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, December 28, 2009 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Hi Calamity, thanks, we enjoyed ourselves, hope you did too.

I don't remember a cloister bell from the movie, but it wouldn't surprise me if they tied it in like that. I've seen a lot of interviews with Russell T Davies and he is a little obsessed, and pleasantly so, with DW history.

The drumbeat was odd, and I don't know what it meant either, the only thing I wondered was whether it was a call from Gallifrey, and the Doctor could hear it because he was also a Timelord.

Yes it was Timothy Dalton. I haven't seen him in ages.

I thought this first half of End of Time was a bit drawn out and confusing. I'm hoping they're really going to bring it together on Saturday. I have a feeling it will be tearful, I like David Tennant so much as a person as well as as the Doctor, and it will be hard to say goodbye.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, December 28, 2009 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Oh, and this is from memory as I'm not near my tv at the moment - I think End of Time Part 2 starts Saturday at 5.30pm (not 6pm) (or 8.30pm not 9pm) now, and it's 1.5 hours long. I think that's a change from their original announcement. You might want to double check your recordings if a tivo/dvr doesn't take care of that sort of stuff for you!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, December 28, 2009 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
We had a nice Christmas too. Thanks!

I thought this first half of End of Time was a bit drawn out and confusing. I'm hoping they're really going to bring it together on Saturday.

Yeah, that's how I felt. That opening bit with Wilf seeing the image of the Tardis in the stained glass window and then that woman (were we supposed to recognize her? for a few seconds I thought she was Harriet Jones but that wasn't right) suddenly appears, talking about the legend of the Doctor. But only Wilf sees and hears her. And then the point the Doctor makes about why is it he keeps meeting Wilf...that's when I really started getting Bad Wolf flashbacks, lol. I don't know what it all means but it seems like they're mixing in religion and conspiracy theories into the Doctor's story, I just hope they explain it so I can understand it all!

I have a feeling it will be tearful...

It seems likely since the Doctor appears to be afraid, trying to delay or even avoid his own fate.

ETA: Interesting how this all happens when he really starts to rebel against the so-called laws of time by saving some of the people from Mars.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, December 28, 2009 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I didn't recognise the woman either. I checked on imdb and she is also in the next episode (also listed as "The Woman") so I don't know if she's going to be important.

I think maybe the Doctor meeting Wilf is something like those fixed point in time things they stressed in Waters Of Mars. Some things are meant to be and cannot be changed, and maybe him working with Wilf is always meant to be.

By the way, Bernard Cribbins (Wilf) is 81 tomorrow! I think he looks excellent for his age. He was in all sorts of children's shows when I was young, so I really enjoy seeing him.

Konamouse

07-16-2001

Monday, December 28, 2009 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Taped it to watch later.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Oh wow - 81? Obviously he has to be up there but I'd never have guessed he was already in his 80s. Happy Birthday to him!

And I agree that that fixed point in time theory likely plays into this somehow because it's been mentioned on multiple occasions. The Mars colony, Pompeii, even Capt. Jack...plus there's the times when the Doctor said something wasn't right, that things weren't how they were supposed to be.

ETA: Hey, I just remembered - remember that River character (Alex Kingston) from the Library epi - didn't she know the Doctor somehow but he hadn't met her yet? Was it David Tennant's Doctor?

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 4:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think River (you're good on character names!) knew a different doctor... didn't she have another (future) doctor's screwdriver? She's another one who felt important in Doctor-lore... it'd be good if they played some of it out with the next doctor.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Yeah, she did have a screwdriver.

I only mentioned River because when you brought up the stuff about fixed points in time, I remembered Capt. Jack talking to the Doctor about that which reminded me that Jack said he had been called the Face of Boe which made me wonder if the show would ever take that up again because...well, I can't help wondering about mysteries. And that's when I remembered another mystery - River somehow knowing the Doctor but I wasn't sure if it was Tennant's Doctor or a different regeneration. If it was Tennant's, I was thinking "wait - they never explained that!", lol.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, January 01, 2010 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Remember End of Time Part 2 at 5.30/8.30pm TOMORROW!

It's aired in the UK and everyone seems to be bawling and saying it was excellent. Be prepared!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I survived without too many tears. Anyone else?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I did! I just finished it and all I can say is - what great show! I'm really glad that I saved Part 1 from last week and watched both parts 1 & 2 together tonight.

LOVED all the good-byes!

I just hope I can adjust to the newest incarnation of The Doctor as well as I did when he changed from Christopher Eccleston to David Tennant! This newest doctor sorta reminds me of Conan O'Brien for some reason....maybe it's the high cheek bones.

Now I'll go back and watch the Special that aired just prior to Part 2 ....

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know when the next series starts?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Never mind....I thinkI found an answer:

<snip?

Filming

The BBC has confirmed that at least one episode will be filmed in Croatia.[9]

It was confirmed in DWM that this series will be known as series 1 from a production standpoint; it is unknown what it will be publicly known as, though it will likely be series 5 in order to avoid confusion with the fairly recent series 1.

A number of websites have reported a rumor that the BBC is considering splitting Series 5 into two halves, the first half to air in the spring of 2010, and the second half to air later in the year.[10]

According to the online resume of one of the show's crewpeople, part of one episode has been filmed in Croatia.[11]

Soon after production began on Series 5, images of the new cast on location began to appear in the British media, revealing the Eleventh Doctor's costume, and apparent exterior changes to the TARDIS (most notably the reinstatement of a St. John Ambulance logo which once adorned the TARDIS during the First Doctor era. The media also revealed in July 2009 that Alex Kingston will again portray River Song. [12] It was later said that she will appear in two episodes. [13] Given the out-of-order nature of filming on Doctor Who, however, it is not yet known where in the season these episodes will be placed.

<snip>

LOTS more here: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Series_5_(Doctor_Who)

WARNING: THERE SPOILERS OF SEASON 5 AT THAT LINK!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Okay....here's a trailer for the upcoming season of Doctor Who...it says it begins in Spring of 2010 but I'm not sure if that's when it starts for the UK or North America or both:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTikSllxnYE

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
He's a funny looking guy, he looks 60 and 20 at the same time, which I suppose is perfect casting for The Doctor.

Here's a video trailer of the next season. The BBC have confirmed "Spring 2010," whatever that is, April/Mayish probably?? In the UK of course... here a few weeks later would be nice. Trailer also contains snippetty things that could be spoilers if you pay attention real hard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSXvZ5OKlis