TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 12, 2009

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Grey's Anatomy: General Discussions: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 12, 2009 users admin

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, September 28, 2009 - 5:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I agree with BB911 and Boberg,sort of meh.

Texannie

07-16-2001

Monday, September 28, 2009 - 6:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I commented! LOL loved the opener.

Texannie

07-16-2001

Monday, September 28, 2009 - 6:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Derek basically got screwed by trying to help the chief by giving him the heads up.

from the writer's blog

Derek and The Chief and the Merger - that last look of betrayal that Derek feels by the Chief.

Yeah – this is a thing that won’t be going away any time soon. Derek was pretty freakin’ noble. So noble! Cause you KNOW how much he wants that job. It was the promise of the Chiefdom that brought him to Seattle from NYC to begin with. Okay, that and his love for ferry boats. Oh, and the Mark/Addison messiness but y’know, mostly, it was the promise of becoming Chief. And right here, the job was his for the taking. And out of loyalty and friendship, he went to the Chief and warned him. So what is up with the Chief that in response, he completely shut Derek out? Pride. He’s all proud and hurt and threatened. Really, really threatened. And people are flawed. Even the Chief, whom I adore, is deeply flawed. And the phrase, “No good deed goes unpunished,” was coined for a reason. I don’t subscribe to it. I do good deeds anyway. But I have had the experience of occasionally having them bite me in the ass. So I relate to Derek on this but I also have great compassion for the Chief, because he has sacrificed a lot for this job. He has done his very best. And this – even though it’s actually loyalty on Derek’s part, I get that somehow it feels like a betrayal. Certainly it’s humiliating. And feeling angry with someone is often easier than feeling indebted. Either way, like I said, don’t expect the emotional fall-out from this to go away any time soon

Mizinvanccouver

02-22-2003

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Exactly what Boberg said.

I only just watched the SP and was disappointed. I too stopped watching ER because it became too Trauma and medical for me. I don't have much time for TV watching so I prefer a little more feel good than feel bad type shows.

It felt like all the characters had the same script. I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself right but it was like they said things in the same manner. The only ones who seemed to have their 'own' script was the army doc and Sandra Oh's character. Oh and I don't know why but that relationship gives me the creeps.

I will give it a couple more episodes but if it doesn't change I'm deleting it off my PVR.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 11:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm not liking the chief very much these days.

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Friday, October 02, 2009 - 5:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
There is no way that Izzy would be doing that surgery. The liability issue for the hospital if something went wrong.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Friday, October 02, 2009 - 5:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
They are sending an email???? Seriously??? I work in HR and it would be grounds for termination if I sent someone an EMAIL to let them know they have been laid off. Seriously.. an email...

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Friday, October 02, 2009 - 6:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
The whole episode was so outlandishly unrealistic.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, October 02, 2009 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I don't think show has ever been "realistic". A hospital full of interns that are less mature than 16 year olds? A doctor stabbing a room full of live pigs just so the interns can diagnose and try to save them? Izzy and her sexual escapades with a Denny hallucination after causing his death in an outlandishly unprofessional attempt to get him a new heart - and she wasn't fired for it?

Seriously, this show simply cannot be taken seriously.

JMO...

Elizabeth116

11-26-2006

Friday, October 02, 2009 - 10:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Elizabeth116 a private message Print Post    
I agree Sanfranjoshfan, I don't watch it for the realism, otherwise I would have been disappointed from square one lol.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Really, if I want realism I can turn on the countless news channels. This is my escapism.

Llwynn

07-19-2003

Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Llwynn a private message Print Post    
I loved the SP and think the show is just what it has always been, a fictional drama that is sometimes funny and sometimes heartbreaking. It is nothing more than a night-time soap. Still lovin it.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Monday, October 05, 2009 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
I can handle the pigs, Izzys craziness, the immaturity. I get that it is a "Fictional Drama" and etc....

However, they might as well fired them on a post it.

Kinda like the last Raiders movie... I could deal with all the unrealistic stuff, like an old crazy man surviving a nuclear blast inside a fridge.... anyway, what killed it for me was the alien space ship taking off... it as the term goes "jumped the shark" just one too many times.

The firing via email was my shark moment...

w00t

Scout

01-20-2005

Friday, October 09, 2009 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Ralph Waite is looking pretty good for 81. Nothing against him wanting the implant and all, but frankly his "younger" girlfriend didn't quite look like she was up to that much strenuous activity.

I love Mark. He was so good to actually listen and speak up for Waite, and he's really grown a lot in the way he cares for Lexie.

Felt bad for Alex. Izzy can be incredibly selfish. When Izzy said they only make $30,000, was that for both of them? Is that really all that they'd be making?

Colordeagua

10-25-2003

Friday, October 09, 2009 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Ralph will always be Pa Walton.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, October 09, 2009 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Ralph Waite is also "Pa" Gibbs on NCIS. Talk about perfect casting there.

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 7:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Scout, residents in any kind of speciality (including surgical residents), don't make much money at all, although they get certain comps, such as a per diem payment for food in their hospital's cafeteria.

(Remember, while they are residents, they're still just apprenticing in their profession -- they won't be considered experts until they become attending physicians.)

And on top of not making much money, they have enormous student loans to pay off.

Many years ago I worked in the admissions office at UCLA hospital; I remember an incident where the wife of a medical resident (not a UCLA medical resident), needed an emergency appendectomy. Although the resident's medical insurance was covered by his residency program at his teaching hospital, wis wife had no medical coverage of any kind. Based just on the amount they owed on his student loans, she qualified for Medicaid (called Medical in California), for her hospital bills.

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 7:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Oops - I meant to say it's called "MediCal" in California, not "medical."

Texannie

07-16-2001

Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 7:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Izzy doesn't have student loans. She paid for all of her medical school by modeling. (that was from the first season. LOL)

Scout

01-20-2005

Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 7:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the info Daydreamer - I guess I just assumed that surgical residents, as kind of the elite, would make a lot more. I never even considered the irony of their families not having medical insurance coverage.

Colordeagua

10-25-2003

Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
When various residents on ER would talk about their pay, never sounded like much. And then there was Carter who asked not to be paid.

Hypermom

08-13-2001

Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hypermom a private message Print Post    
I posted last season, when Callie brought up being broke, what my ER doc cousin said chief residents were paid...around 30,000 per year. They work 80 hours a week. So, that is 4160 hours a year for 7.21 per hour. Izzy doesn't have loans, but Alex does. Not much money at all for residents and the amount of hours they work.

Scout

01-20-2005

Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
If I had Carter's family's millions, I'd probably make that gesture, too.

Sia

03-10-2002

Monday, October 12, 2009 - 10:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
I was horrified by the part written for Ralph Waite. He plays Father Matt on Days of Our Lives (Chloe's confessor, priest/minister, officiator of weddings, etc. for the denizens of Salem) and I cannot believe he accepted such a role. Maybe I'm a prude, but I can't imagine that the actor who so ably played noble John Walton would play the part of a patient desperately pleading for a penile implant on Grey's. Or maybe that reflects how good an actor he is: he certainly didn't get pigeonholed as a goody-two-shoes, did he? For me, the saddest part is that, as an aging actor, this role may be one of his last television performances; I wouldn't want my dad or brother, etc. to be remembered as the "penile-implant patient" from a TV series on which he wasn't even a regular!

Sia

03-10-2002

Monday, October 12, 2009 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
An interesting note from imdb.com for fans of Ralph Waite:

Ralph Waite Cast as Hank Booth on Bones
29 September 2009 6:49 PM, PDT | TVfanatic | See recent TVfanatic news »

Bones has found a grandfather for Booth.

Former The Waltons star will portray Hank Booth, a former army Emt, that appears in the November 19 episode "The Foot in the Foreclosure."

Said producer Stephan Nathan of the installment and the role: “This is a really good murder. All that’s left is ash and one foot, and Hank can’t help but tag along.”

Tune in November 19 to hear the insightful Bones quotes Booth's grandfather has to offer.

The upcoming episode will be an vital one in the Bones lore. Viewers will learn the reasons behind Booth’s abusive father abandoning his son at age 11.

The series is currently casting for that important role, as well, but Mr. Booth won't appear for awhile.

“You can’t introduce too many relatives at once," said Nathan. »

- matt@iscribelimited.com (M.L. House)