TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 30, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : Archive through May 30, 2023 users admin

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, April 11, 2023 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I also like Ashley Park

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, April 15, 2023 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I have only watched the first episode, but I totally love this miniseries.

Transatlantic
An American journalist, during 13 months spent in France in 1940-41, manages to arrange safe passage out of France and on to the US for more than 2000 refugees who are in danger of losing their lives. Compelling historical fiction drama about the true story of Varian Fry and the Emergency Rescue Committee in Marseille, France in 1940.

Maris

03-27-2002

Saturday, April 15, 2023 - 10:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Transatlantic was a great show.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Sunday, April 23, 2023 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
The Diplomat is fabulous! Keri Russell carries over her great acting in the Americans in this political drama with a touch of humor.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, May 03, 2023 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I agree with Legal boxer - The Diplomat is very good and the entire cast is excellent! It has been renewed for a 2nd season. Yay

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Friday, May 05, 2023 - 5:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
The new episodes of Firefly Lane are so well written and moving. I haven't finished them all as I'm savouring them.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, May 05, 2023 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
At times I felt a bit manipulated, but overall Firefly Lane was quite enjoyable and tugged all the right heart strings.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, May 06, 2023 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I love Firefly Lane. I'll add it to my list. I thought we already had Season 2, but maybe I'm thinking of another show.

We're watching The Diplomat. Such a great show. It reminds me of a cross between The West Wing and Succession. Even the music sometimes sounds like Succession. Great cast, too!

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, May 08, 2023 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
I started watching the Diplomat and it didnt grab me in first episode but after reading these posts, I watched this weekend and binge watched the whole season.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, May 08, 2023 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Firefly Lane season 2 was released as two parts. So yes, part 1 of season 2 was a while ago.
I'll have to add Diplomat to my wish list!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, May 08, 2023 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I’ve added The Diplomat to my list.

I really enjoyed the Bridgerton spin-off Queen Charlotte. You see the friendship of young lady Danbury with the Queen as well as young Violet. It also bounces back and forth from the current day of the Bridgerton series with the origin stories. It is a quick binge at six episodes. They really cast the young actors so well. I hope we get another season to see more.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Tuesday, May 09, 2023 - 2:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
i just binged all of Indian matchmaking and am watching Jewish matchmaking... putting aside how annoying some of the self centered women were on Indian matchmaking, I think the one underlying thing that is off putting to me in both shows is how wealthy all of the participants seem to be, traveling, taking extended time here and there. Maybe it wouldn't be so annoying if they were upfront with how rich they all seem, but definitely frustrating to me to not just see "average" people getting set up (how much are they paying these matchmakers???)

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, May 09, 2023 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
"Sima Aunty" (Sima Taparia) can charge between $1,300 and $8000 or even more. She only works with high profile clients. She bases her fee by how wealthy you are, and what your wedding budget is. So she only deals with the well to do and prominent families.

There are other matchmakers for the less fortunate. Astrology, face reading, match making are quite lucrative.

From what I've seen though, it doesn't matter how well off the family is or poorer. They often request the same thing. Many are physical attributes or requirements that the family resides in a certain city etc. For the families it's very much a business contract.

Funny that Sima's own daughter did not want an arranged marriage and opted for a love marriage lol

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, May 18, 2023 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I tried to tune in to A Man Named Otto on Netflix but it says I must upgrade to a higher cost. Will the movie eventually be on the $6.99 a month option or will I never be able to watch it unless I shell out more money?

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, May 18, 2023 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Netflix has 2 tiers now?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 18, 2023 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Grooch, you have to pay by device now, I believe. Basic is one device, standard is two, premium is four.

Bbpeach

07-07-2005

Thursday, May 18, 2023 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bbpeach a private message Print Post    
I’m glad this question came up. I just looked and I can actually downgrade! I’ve had it since before streaming was even a thing and they just changed prices and I never questioned it.

Thanks all!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, May 20, 2023 - 11:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Fubar starts on May 25
Trailer looks good. They are dropping all episodes at once

Schwarzenegger stars as Luke Brunner, a veteran CIA operative on the verge of retirement. But ringing in the golden years is put on hold when he’s called up for one last undercover mission: saving another operative that just so happens to be his daughter. The series tackles universal family dynamics set against a global backdrop of spies, action and humor.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, May 26, 2023 - 1:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Just watched the first episode of Fubar. Very cute. I liked it. They said they were dropping all the episodes...but there was only one available.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, May 26, 2023 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I liked the trailer of that, Since, so good to know you liked the first episode.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, May 29, 2023 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I’m not an Arnold fan but it was entertaining enough.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, May 30, 2023 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
OMG. Finished the last episode of Firefly Lane yesterday. There was a lot of sobbing, ugly crying and hyperventilating involved. It was "Steel Magnolias," "Beaches" and "Love Story" (only better) wrapped together in one show. Brought back not only my childhood friendship with my BFF, but also losing my dad to cancer and my mom to dementia. Life is painful and hard, but all the love and laughter make it worth it. If you're not afraid to ugly cry, watch this series. It'll break your heart, but in a good way. I may even read the book.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, May 30, 2023 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
BJM, that sounds right up my alley, as they say. 😀

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, May 30, 2023 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
ETA: Just have to make sure I'm in the right headspace when I do watch it... I've been a tearful mess lately as it is. On the other hand, it might be cathartic.

Rvon

12-11-2003

Tuesday, May 30, 2023 - 9:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
I have the last two episodes to watch in Firefly Lane. The episode I just watched was bad enough. Can only take this heartache in small doses. I’ll finish it tomorrow.....I hope.