TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 07, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Orville: Archive through July 07, 2022 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, June 15, 2022 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Nah, I miss it, but I don't have Hulu.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, June 15, 2022 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's disappointing. Similar to Kar, I don't have Hulu though I'm sure I can get it from somewhere else if I want to see it. But now I'm not sure if I want to bother.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, June 17, 2022 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Well, in episode 3 there was some humor but still not at the level of the very funny season one. (Remember when Rob Lowe had a premature face splatter? :-))

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
Malloy did actually get a swirly from some high school bullies which was funny but the beating he got was violent enough to detract from the amusing swirly part....and Bortus had a run-in with some high school mean girls, but he left the leader with an insult that freaked her out! LOL They did introduce a character that's pretty much a female version of TNG's Q, but not so obnoxious. She also told them that she'd see them again...so I suspect she'll be a recurring pest like Q was.

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Thursday, June 30, 2022 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
I’ve been a little on the fence about the whole “New Horizons” thing. It’s not that this season hasn’t been enjoyable, it actual has been very good but my issue has been with it lacking that Orville spirit. I love The Orville for being a silly show that delivers good plot with serious themes while being lighthearted. Tonight’s episode was the first this season that I feel got a substantial amount of that Orville spirit back. I hope the season continues with more episodes like these where we can laugh but also tackle serious topics in the plot.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, June 30, 2022 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, tonight was good. The shows are very long though, tonight's was 80 minutes, which is almost two regular episodes. That's fine when shows are like tonight's, but is going to be hard going for the weaker eps.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, July 01, 2022 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Still watching.

Still not laughing.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, July 01, 2022 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I loved the first four episodes of the new season. They are so topical and current. They keep the flavor of the world we are living in while sprinkling in some humor.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2022 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Finally watched the first episode and I thought it was very good science fiction. However, it was significantly more serious in tone. They had moved in that direction near the end of the second season and it seems clear that they are continuing in that direction. I like it but it certainly isn't the light fun show that it was when it first started. I can see why Sanfran isn't laughing.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, July 02, 2022 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
OMG Episode 5 was so good. I may have shed a tear.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, July 03, 2022 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Yah....as many have said above, this is not the Orville I fell in love with season 1 & 2. We have enough serious Star-Treky shows; Picard and Discovery which I love! I enjoyed the crazy comedic humour of original Orville. I will continue to watch as I do enjoy sci-fi but I won't be as excited as I used to be.

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Sunday, July 03, 2022 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
Exactly there’s nothing wrong with The Orville: New Horizons but where are the jokes?!!! 😭

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, July 03, 2022 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
You will see some humour in episode 5, but it will also be poignant. There are a lot of metaphors and even some flashbacks. This is a great review, but don't read it if you don't want spoilers:
https://www.tvfanatic.com/2022/06/the-orville-new-horizons-season-3-episode-5-review-a-tale-of-two/

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, July 03, 2022 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I also think that the special effects in this season are outstanding.

I also love Star Trek (movies and television series) and have seen every edition and episode (many of them twice). I feel like the newest season of Orville surpasses most of the other TV series and is closer to the movies with its special effects.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, July 03, 2022 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Agreed. The special effects are incredibly good. I’m enjoying it. Given that there is less humour, I just hope that it connects with its original audience.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, July 03, 2022 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
That could happen, Jimmer. I would say to anyone who loved the first episodes to stick with it. The first few episodes are somewhat dark, but there will be some laughs later on. You'll be able to "get the joke" because you saw the first seasons.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, July 03, 2022 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
The Orville:

1. They need to restore the humor.

2.When they do decide to end it sometime in the future, they need to do a crossover with Star Trek, just an episode or so.

3.They need to have the Planetary Union (the Orville) come into conflict with Star Fleet (Star Trek).

4a. They need to have some big battles and surprises, like having the bungling idiots on the Orville outmaneuver the Star Trek Ship with their mental strategy...totally by accident, of course. :-)

4b. It needs to be a new ST ship that has never appeared in the ST Universe before. That way the conflict can just be an embarrassment to Star Fleet so they decided to never speak of it again back in the ST Universe.....just like the Klingons never speak of why they look so different than they did in ST TOS.

5. On the ST ship, the crew would be caricatures of the TNG crew like Issac is to Data and Dr Claire Flynn could develop some tension when she comes up against a holographic narcissus like "The Doctor" on Voyager.....and maybe the ST crew can believe a prank rumor that Yafitt is an evolved Tribble and totally freak out.

Maybe the captains of the two ships could have a flirtation with one another's wives which prompt both "Number 2's" to do the same. Oh yeah...the ST captain also has an ex wife as second in command.

Hey, maybe the conflict arises when the ex wives hook up! :-)

Gee, this crossover just writes itself! (Well, the premise does, anyhow.)

That would be the best send off to a (funny)The Orville that I can think of...but I think if they stay on this too serious TNG clone copy path, it may not last very long.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, July 03, 2022 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
PS - of course, my premise is about The Orville's series finale, so both the Orville and the ST ship implode in some bizarre way that opens a rift and sends them both to some alternate reality, where they will live on in our imaginations...

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, July 03, 2022 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I read that they are leaving the door open for a fourth season in the future. The IMDB ratings for episodes this season so far are on part with previous seasons.

Identity (Season 2 Episodes 8 and 9 - 2 Parts) was the highest rated with 9.1 out of 10.

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Sunday, July 03, 2022 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
I just read sanfranjoshfan’s crossover idea for the Orville. It made me laugh the way the Orville should. Honestly I think that’s the best way they could end the series. Sigh I miss the days of 5 part TV mega crossovers! It makes me sad we probably will never get a real crossover with Star Trek. Oh well, I guess that’s what fan fic is for. I would pay so much to see the chaos that would ensue with the Orville meeting a federation ship. So much potential. Also, I’m now head cannon-ing that Yafitt is an evolved tribble. That was a detail I never knew I needed. 😂

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, July 04, 2022 - 6:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Sanfranjoshfan your storyline is hilarious. You never know. It could happen.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, July 04, 2022 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
SFJF you should post that on Seth Macfarlane's social media pages. You never know... he might appreciate the idea, and run with it.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, July 04, 2022 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I'm kinda thinking it could never happen. The suits control what we see, not the folks that write it, design the sets, cast the actors, do the special effects, or act in it.

At least I can entertain myself with my own imagined storylines if the producers won't do it.

Hey, I'll bet William Shatner would agree to a cameo in my storyline. (He'll do anything to keep his face out there!)

------

All kidding aside, I'd be satisfied if they just raised the humor level to that of season one. If they don't, I doubt there will ever be another "premature face" from Rob Lowe.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, July 04, 2022 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"SFJF you should post that on Seth Macfarlane's social media pages. You never know... he might appreciate the idea, and run with it."

Mameblanceh, I don't do social media. I have never used facebook, twitter, instagram...and I don't even have a smartphone.

However, you have my complete permission to post it there! :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, July 05, 2022 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I'll let u know if/when I give it a whirl. :-)

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, July 07, 2022 - 6:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Twice in a Lifetime was a masterpiece. What a magnificent show. It was visually stunning once again. The writers, technical team, and actors are magnificent. Wish I lived on the Orville (especially these days!) LOL