TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 15, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Orville: Archive through June 15, 2022 users admin

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 8:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
That was the funniest thing ever. Orville is now my favourite scifi show.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mine too. :-) (Even though Discovery is filmed here in Toronto.)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
The smoking was hilarious!

The "falling in love with a hologram" plot was another instance of reusing a Star Trek TNG plot. Geordi LaForge did the same thing on TNG. He created a hologram version of a female scientist based on all the digital data the computer had about her and while working together he fell in love with her.

I like how, even though this show borrows a lot of things from TNG, it still feels fresh...not to mention funny!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 9:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, I am dying.... Dolly Parton's Nine to Five is their fight song, hahahahahahahaha. It is so funny, I love it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 12, 2019 - 6:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Darn! Forgot this was on last night. Fortunately, I recorded it. Sounds like it’s another good one!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, April 12, 2019 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It was a good episode. Although I wasn't fond of the Dolly Pardon thing. Could she not have found Helen Reddy?? :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, April 12, 2019 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahaha, that's why I loved it was Dolly Parton, kind of made no sense.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Friday, April 12, 2019 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Just popping in to see if others enjoyed last nights episode with the Dolly Parton. So funny! My 12y/o didn't know who she is.
I loved at the end,"Do you think Dolly would be proud?!"

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, April 12, 2019 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, I about died when her song started playing, totally caught me off guard.

And I loved the ending as well.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Friday, April 12, 2019 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, Helen would have been SO MUCH better. However, the Dolly thing fits in with the humor on this show better.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 7:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
LOVED IT!!!!! :-)

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 6:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I laughed out loud and danced along with Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 "fight song". It was just the best!!!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Seth MacFarlane Verified account @SethMacFarlane
50s50 seconds ago
More
Hey Eastern US — 30 minutes until #TheOrville season finale!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Wow, this is totally crazy, LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
This is really going to annoy me if they don't accomplish their goal.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thank goodness, I mean even though I know that they have to be successful for the series to continue I was still worried, LOL.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 26, 2019 - 6:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Pretty cool pair of episodes. Nicely done!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, September 23, 2021 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Michael Ausiello
@MichaelAusiello
·
2h
#TheOrville Season 3 (Finally) Gets Hulu Premiere Date, and ‘New’ Title

https://twitter.com/MichaelAusiello/status/1441085959915728900

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 4:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Yay, but Norm McDonald may be gone.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
OG, I am pretty sure I read that MacDonald had finished all the voice work for season 3. It will be season 4 where we see what they do with his character. 😿.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"and ‘New’ Title"

Would that be "New Horizons"?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, June 14, 2022 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Well, I've seen the first two episodes of season 3. Anyone else watching?

This was one of my favorite shows and I got excited when they said it would be bigger and better now they were on HULU rather than broadcast TV.

I liked it because it was a throwback to TNG but it was comedic as much as it was sci-fi. Remember the missing leg "prank" anyone?

Anyhow, 2 eps into Season 3 and I'm still waiting for my first laugh. It feels like they fired all the comedy writers and gave Seth McFarland a "serious pill" so now it's as serious as TNG, if not more. Someone makes a lame remark that's a bit amusing now and then but I'm still waiting for it to make me actually laugh.

I've been rewatching TNG since COVID lockdown and I have about a dozen eps left of the final season. Last night I saw the one where Data was trying to train his cat, Spot and it was pointed out to him that Spot had Data trained so well. Funny! And that just reminded me that The Orville hasn't even been "TNG funny" so far this season.

I hope it lightens up a bit....it's comedy was what set it apart from all the various ST variations.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 14, 2022 - 10:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Sanfran, we've seen one episode, and I didn't like it at all. Not sure what the enjoyment of this show is without the humour, especially as it has comedic actors. It just seems wrong.

My hubby read that they are INTENTIONALLY cutting the humour this season, remaking it as a more serious show. Not sure why they would think we would want that, a couple of serious shows with the robot last season were ok, but not a whole season of it.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, June 15, 2022 - 2:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"My hubby read that they are INTENTIONALLY cutting the humour this season, remaking it as a more serious show."

Seriously? Dammit.

To me, TNG was a typical space opera (tv drama in space) with some comic relief mostly coming from Data, the holodeck, and Lwaxana Troi 35 years ago, but rewatching it now it comes across as kind of "campy".

I guess that's what Orville will become, ...an unmistakable copy of a 35 year old TNG with the same look and feel and similar stories, even though it looks too campy to be serious. Not a good move especially with a lead actor being a very funny guy that's leaving all his funny at home.

That's as bad as it would be if Resident Alien returned as a serious show with no humor.

I'll still watch it, but it will no longer be a show I look forward to all week like I did the past two seasons. That extra humor added to a TNG clone idea was absolute magic. That magic is gone.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, June 15, 2022 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I agree completely. I was really looking forward to it, but this is why we haven’t watched ep2 yet, I’m sure we will, but no urge.

And I still cannot get over the similarity to Star Trek in the design, uniforms, cgi etc. I don’t know why it bothers me so much! It was one thing when it was a different type of show, but if it’s going to take itself seriously then it just seems an egregious rip off! Not sure why that bothers me so much, lol, but it does!