TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 12, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Outlander: Outlander with book talk included (spoilers): Archive through April 12, 2022 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Mameblanche, we saw "Wee Roger" as a little boy living with his uncle (the reverend Claire and Frank were staying with after she returned from the past). IIRC, we saw little Brianna in a short scene with her mother in Boston. I had forgotten until I saw this article (thanks, Heckagirl!). I remember how we were all oooohing and awwwwwing over adorable Wee Roger when he appeared in one of the early episodes this season.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm happy to be oohing and awwwwing over GROWN Roger! I've been a fan of Rik Rankin's since The Crimson Field and can hardly wait to see him as grown-up Roger! If you have BBC-America, his fantastic series Thirteen starts this week.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, June 24, 2016 - 6:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks BJM! xoxoxo

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
No prob, Mameblanche. I find my memory is not what it used to be either. I don't even bother to watch the previews for next week anymore for two reasons: 1) I don't really like to see what's going to happen next, cause it's kind of spoilerish, and 2) I probably won't remember it anyway!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, June 24, 2016 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I watch online, so don't get any previews.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I have not read all of the books. After watching, and loving season 1 I read the first book and decided I would continue to read each book after the season aired. But, after watching the season 2 finale last night, I want to read the third book because I can't wait to see what happens next.
Can someone tell me if the season 2 ending was similar to the book? If so, I won't feel like I'm missing anything going straight to book 3.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
These are the last lines of book 2:
“One man, a Fraser of the Master of Lovat’s regiment, escaped.…” Roger repeated softly. He looked up from the stark page to see her eyes, wide and unseeing as a deer’s fixed in the headlights of an oncoming car. “He meant to die on Culloden Field,” Roger whispered. “But he didn’t.”

The beginning of book 2 is VERY different - it starts in 1968, not 1948, but since you've seen the show it won't throw you as much as it did all of us who read it 20 years ago. :-)

I'll also put in a plug for Voyager. Out of all the books, I have 3 that I read at least once a year: Outlander, Voyager, and MOBY (the eight book). The entire series is on continual re-"listen" through my Audible app, but I get out my Kindle for O, V, and MOBY.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 4:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Teach. I read the synopsis of bothe Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager, and think I will skip right to Voyager so I'm caught up for season 3. Good to know it's on your re-read list. The only book that's ever made it onto my re-read list is Stephen King's The Stand.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Really good finale! I found the going back and forth in different times a bit confusing.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 6:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
It's back on Sunday. I'm thinking of buying the Starz app to watch it on my laptop. Will that work?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Just for you, Mameblanche, I'm going to post a couple of spoilers from the book:

1) Captain Bonnet will eventually get what's coming to him, never fear. It may not be this season, but he'll get his. And it will be very satisfying.

2) Yes, Roger is in for a rough road, but they won't kill him. Ian gives him to the Indians, who make him a slave. Once Jamie finds out what a terrible, terrible mistake has been made (stupid, stupid Lizzie! I blame her!!), they will have to go and rescue him. And then the plot will become even more entangled. (I'm not good at this spoiler thing. I'm not sure how much to give away. )

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 9:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ohhh I ♡ you BJM! Thanks so much for this! I literally was hoping that was the exact outcome, that he would be living with the Indians either as a prisoner or better yet absorbed into their tribe. And just so happy that he didn't die from the beating! I get anxiety from certain programs this is one of them, and the only way I can really enjoy the show is by not having to worry too much about the characters. I gave up the handmaid's tale after the first season because even though I Wikipedia every episode before watching, I still found it too stressful. I know that sounds silly but what can I say that's me.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I also gave up on The Handmaid's Tale after the first season. It just got too dark for me.

Mame, I have to tell you that when I was reading the books, I read the part about Jamie beating the snot out of Roger and immediately texted my friend, "Jamie just killed Roger! " And she texted back, "Just wait . . ."

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, March 08, 2022 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I'm so glad this thread is still here. I watched Sunday's episode yesterday afternoon, and at first I didn't remember Tom Christie (except that he was a bad guy in Ardsmuir Prison). But then when they introduced the children, Allen and Malva, I instantly thought, "Uh oh!!!" I'm almost done with book 9, "Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone." I just want Diana Gabaldon to keep writing forever. Such great books!

Oh, and when the young widow was having trouble with her little boy and Roger sat on the stairs to talk to him, I realized that he is Aiden. His mother Amy will eventually marry Bobby Higgins and they'll have another little boy. Let's not talk about what happens to Amy. 😭

Denecee

09-05-2002

Wednesday, March 23, 2022 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
so I read all the books, but I can't remember if I am getting the following mixed up with another show.

when Claire was gang raped(last season in show) didn't they cut all her hair off? I know they would not do that in the show but I seem to remember that or maybe it has not happened yet?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, March 23, 2022 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I don’t recall that but those are my least favorite scenes in both the books and the show (for obvious reasons) so I admit that I skip through them.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, March 23, 2022 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Her hair is cut off when she gets deathly ill - when Malva "infects" both her and Tom in an attempt to kill off Claire and get Jamie. (like he would ever consider it). They cut her hair in a last-ditch effort to bring down the fever.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
thank Teach! I wonder if they will leave that part out?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 10:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Oh yes, it was Mrs. Bug who cut all Claire's hair off in the misguided belief that it would lower her fever. Poor Claire! To be so sick and to wake up with no hair!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I found the entire Malva plot line both disturbing and frustrating.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, March 26, 2022 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yup. I guess she (Diana Gabaldin) thinks we need conflict to make it interesting, but sometimes the conflict just gives me a stomach ache.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, March 26, 2022 - 4:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
It's already been confirmed that storyline is there. First, Caitríona mentioned in a Zoom interview over a year ago that "Claire gets a haircut." Second - in the US first released trailer there was a split second shot of Claire with short hair. Every fan on Twitter screencapped that puppy within 2 minutes, Starz took it down within the hour, and then the UK version (w/o that split second shot) was put up! LOL We've seen Jamie kneeling by a bed holding her hand and seen her fainting in the trailers as well, so the only question is which episode we'll see it in. :-)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, April 11, 2022 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
What an intense episode this week!

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, April 12, 2022 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
The whole ridge will turn on the Frasers! All their hard work will be for nothing. They will blame Claire and Jamie for Malvas death!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, April 12, 2022 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Oh, Cable! You don't know the half of it. I hated this storyline in the books. Ugh!!!