TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 02, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The View: Archive through February 02, 2022 users admin

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I thought they handled it just fine considering it was so unexpected. I think the audience in the studio loved it as they got to ask Joy and Sarah direct questions. I was just disappointed there wasn't more time for discussions with VP Harris.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, September 26, 2021 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Meghan was on the panel of Meet the Press this morning. Apparently her new job is columnist for Dailymail.com.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, September 26, 2021 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I don’t watch a lot of Fox News but I do try to watch when her husband is on, Ben Domenech. He’s my new favorite pundit since mine keep dying off. He also has the site The Federalist. I guess she doesn’t want to work with him. I probably wouldn’t want to work with my husband either. I have, but didn’t really enjoy it. I’ll check her out at The Daily Mail.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, October 07, 2021 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Barbara Corcoran (and Mark Cuban and Daymond John) were on the View today. Ladies were talking about Good American jeans. Whoopi and Sunny (? rarely watch) commented about the jeans fitting larger (covid) body. Barbara said when you're done with (larger size) jeans give them to me -- I'lll make two pair out of them. Barbara!!! I don't know if she meant that to be funny. Didn't sound like it to me.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, October 08, 2021 - 5:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I don’t watch the show but I saw the clip. It could have been edited in her favor but I took it as she was being self deprecating because she’s so skinny. I don’t think she was making fun of Whoopi.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, October 08, 2021 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I saw Barbara apologized later.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, November 26, 2021 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I read Barbara Walters has Alzheimer’s, has anyone else read that. I just thought she was very frail and feeble and that’s why we haven’t seen her. On another note I was forced to watch this show a few times lately and oh my gosh the hypocrisy and the hate. I knew it was bad, but not that bad.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, November 26, 2021 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Haven't watched this show in years. Can't stand the bickering and the talking over each other. I'm not really a fan of Barbara Walters, but I'm really sorry to hear that she has Alzheimers. My mother had dementia in her last years, and it's really hard on a family when your mom doesn't remember who you are. It's like they fade away, but are still physically here. It really is a long goodbye. 😥

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, November 27, 2021 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I’ve heard it’s terrible for the loved ones. I’m sorry you had to go through that.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, January 06, 2022 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm grateful for this show because I enjoy it as my morning break along with the more playful "Daily Blast Live". I'm grateful for the intelligent discussions and the refusal to promote lies. I'm grateful none of them are ignorant enough to state that Italy is right next to China or suggest that Americans go out and assassinate those in Government positions.

Yes, it is not always filled with the most objective viewpoints from both sides but how do you find a conservative host these days who is willing to confront the big lie of Jan. 6th and hold those in the GOP accountable for it? It's not going to happen.

I love it when Yvette Nicole Brown is a guest co-host! With her and Ana there, it's been a good week.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, January 06, 2022 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I’m sure I would find them especially insufferable and hypocritical today. I read they’ve had several conservatives who have turned down the slot vacated by Megan McCain.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Whoopi has been suspended for 2 weeks! It was because of what she argued about on Monday saying the Holocaust wasn't about race. She then went on Colbert and said it was about ethnicity, not race.

She totally gave a heartfelt apology on Tuesday, but she she still got suspended.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
She didn't just give an apology, she brought on Jonathan Greenblatt, author of It Could Happen Here, to educate herself and the viewing audience. He was very good in relating today's world with what happened in Germany leading up to the holocaust.

While I was at first surprised by this suspension, I hope that it will always be the case and applied across the board. There were too many times when Meghan McCain was allowed to perpetuate lies and distortion of the truth and not once was she ever called out for it nor did she ever apologize. If this is the new line for ABC, then I'm sure Whoopi will accept it as gracefully as she dealt with it on Tuesday.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
What was Whoopi trying to say in the first place? Was she arguing about how race should be defined?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
No, she didn't think the Holocaust was a race situation because the Germans and Jews were both white. She was thinking about it as a white / black thing, not that the Germans were trying to eliminate an entire race of Jews.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think she was technically right. Wasn't it the Nazi point of view that people who are Jews were a from a separate race, as part of their justification for treating them that way?

Jews are not of a separate race in scientific terms, they are part of a religious community and I think the term is also used as an ethnicity. After all you can easily convert to Judaism if you like, you don't change race.

Obviously the blurred lines between race and ethnicity and other words I don't know makes this a tinderbox of a subject, but I don't think she was incorrect, she was just looking from the angle she understood.

So I would welcome all the education part of it, and definitely sensitivity training but it seemed like a wild overaction to suspend her as if she'd said something antisemitic.

She was trying to describe something and just did it in a way that upset people. I think we should be open to kind hearted people trying to explain themselves. It's a difficult subject and I don't think any of us do well in understanding it or expressing it.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I saw the whole discussion and I knew that the minute she started talking about it that this was going to blow up badly for her.

She was trying to say that this is not about race, but it's about people's humanity and empathy towards each other. She was wrong. It was about it all!!! Race. Humanity. Empathy.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
While being Jewish is a religious issue, as most of us see it, it is ALSO an ethnicity/race issue. In particular the Nazis saw it as a race issue, as their whole view was that there were superior (Aryan) and inferior races, and Jews fell into the latter camp. They saw Jews, and labeled them, as an inferior race, so the holocaust itself WAS racist.

That said, throughout time, Jews have been labeled as a culture, an ethnicity, a nation, or a religion. The fact is they did arise from a single ethnicity in the Middle East, and to a certain extent that DNA runs thru many Jews, but it's become so mixed as to not really be relevant today.

It's all very confusing, so I think some grace should have been allowed, esp since she was so contrite.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well said. It's confusing. I even recall people posting here in the past and stating that a white person couldn't experience racism.

I think a lot of Americans like Whoopi see racism as literally a black and white issue with white people being racist toward black people. They don't think of other things as being racist. The idea that a white person could be racist to a white person is inconceivable. Would that normally even be defined as racism? For example, a lot of white immigrants were treated very badly (Irish, Italian, etc.) by other white people. Would that be considered racism? Probably bigotry instead.

Repeating what Kar said, I think that Whoopi deserved some grace on this.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
In this case, it was racism because the Nazis called it that, and acted on that. They labeled Jews as a "race", and an inferior one that needed to be exterminated.

So, knowing the history is important.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 6:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
They didn't mention a word about Whoopi on the show today. Like she never was.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 6:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes the Nazis labeled it that way.

The View doesn’t want to comment on itself.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Whatever it was, from the video I saw, it was insensitive and she kind of persisted, even over the reactions of others at the table.

I know she then was suspended for 2 weeks and I saw claims online that she was going to quit.

Did she mention Sharon's name after Sharon was out?

I haven't watched the show in so many years, so I really don't know about that.

I was rather startled at the statement and that she emphatically repeated it.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
So what is the objective in suspending Whoopi? Punishment? If so, punishment for what? For lack of knowledge? For being malicious?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am guessing they think it is damage control, as in placating detractors? Kind of lame.