TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 28, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: This Is Us: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 28, 2022 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 24, 2022 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I guess I'll just wait and see what they show.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 24, 2022 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I don’t mind the back stories. Family stories are messy sometimes and things that happened way back sometimes come up at the oddest moments. I would suspect that they will somehow tie it all back to the big 3 in regards to Rebecca’s passing. Plus, I want the story to continue forever, in what ever form.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, January 24, 2022 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think they are just sticking with the same format they have had all along? They take a subject, (like your first time, or being a father), and show it from many views. I presume the Jack/mother death may juxtapose with Rebecca's death.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, January 24, 2022 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes. That’s what has made this show different and appealing. Very interesting to see how different generations deal with a similar issue.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, January 24, 2022 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Sugar, ITA!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 24, 2022 - 10:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
ITA Jimmer

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, January 25, 2022 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Tonight's show was very touching! As someone who has lost her mother and father, very touching!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, January 25, 2022 - 10:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I agree. I’m only a few minutes in and am vividly remembering my moms passing and her relationship with my brother.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, January 25, 2022 - 10:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I would have rather seen the big 3 and how life is going for them, esp with only a few eps left in this entire series.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, January 25, 2022 - 11:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed a full episode of Jack. Of course, I was in tears by the end... composed myself, then he said ‘I don’t have a mother anymore’ and I lost it....
When my mom passed, I was the only one who stayed with her even though i hadn’t slept for over 24 hours. I had to call my family to let them know she was gone. Some family members came back to the hospital to say their last good bye. Others decided not to. My sister took care of getting my dad back home. Nothing else to do, so I drove home by myself at 2 in the morning. As I was driving, I said the exact same thing out loud in my car and burst into tears. I don’t know how I ever made it home through the tears. But, I did.
I hadn’t thought of that night for a very long time. I haven’t had a mother for 20 years now. This episode, while emotional, was a bit cathartic for me.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, January 26, 2022 - 7:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
When my mom died thought I'm an orphan now. I was 49. Also had thoughts that my childhood was totally gone as I'm an only child. No one to remember it with.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, January 26, 2022 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
There are 18 episodes this season, I think we have had 5, so plenty of time for the big three.

I loved this episode so much. I love any time we can get more of Jack. Milo Ventimiglia was fantastic. I cried through the whole thing. I cried for moms who wait for that weekly phone call, or any phone call, for any bits and pieces of their children's lives that they give her. For all those moms who don't get visits or calls. I cried for people like me, like Jack, that don't have our moms anymore and would give anything to talk to them again. Color, I said the same thing when my mom died. My dad died 41 years ago so when I lost my mom, even though I was almost 60, I felt like an orphan. Our parents ground us, even at any age. I think this all leads up to the three losing their mom.

Just a standout episode all around.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, January 26, 2022 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Color, I felt same when my mom died. I was only child and my parents were also only children. I was 34.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, January 26, 2022 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
So although it wasn't relevant to what we've seen about Jack, it is one of those parallels between past and present, as - from what we're led to believe - the three will be going through the same thing this season.

Such a well done episode it's hard to fault it, even if perhaps it was unnecessary for many viewers at this stage in the series.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, January 26, 2022 - 3:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
To me, it was a wonderful stand alone story. But, I do think that we will see something similar in the very last episode with the Big 3.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, January 26, 2022 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    

quote:

I felt same when my mom died. I was only child and my parents were also only children. I was 34.

Pamy, so you have no aunts, uncles, cousins? Being an only child myself who didn't marry, no children, I've always wondered about only children of parents who were only children. My mom had three brothers, my father had five brothers. Six grandchildren on my mother's side, I'm the oldest. App. 20 grandchildren on my father's side, I'm the youngest. I've got cousins -- none are physically or otherwise close. My family is my 11 YY pup.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, January 26, 2022 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
No aunts, uncles, or 1st cousins. When my mom died her mom was still alive but lived in another state and had dementia. It was the worst time in my life. My mom and I were super close.

thank God I had my son who was only 1 1/2 yrs old at the time but he is what got me out of bed each day. Without him, I had no will to live.

Luckily, I have always had a core of close friends that are like family and they were there for me. God blessed me 8 months after my mom died and sent my hubby to me. He has loved me unconditionally just like my parents. I am truly blessed

Yayadeb

08-12-2021

Wednesday, January 26, 2022 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yayadeb a private message Print Post    
I can relate to those who lost a mom at an early age. I was 24. Only child of divorced parents (never knew my dad). I was living in another city from her since I was 19, so we didn’t see each other but every few months. Jack’s last line, ‘ I don’t have a Mom anymore” got me good. I went into the ugly cry. She passed in 1975, but sometimes it feels like yesterday.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, January 26, 2022 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I had tons of cousins growing up. I knew none of them because we lived in Oregon and they were in the Midwest or East Coast. It wasn’t until FB and the demise of my mother’s siblings, that we all connected. I discovered that, with the exception of a couple of cousins from one aunt, I didn’t miss much by not knowing the others. Some are hidden from my FB page now… life is too short to spend time seeing what nonsense they spew anymore.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 27, 2022 - 12:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I thought it was well done.

In one year I lost my mom in February, my job in May and my dad in June. Good thing I was in therapy then.

My brother is 500 miles away, had 2 first cousins who were older and both are gone.

Milo did a great job. I worried most about the cat, but decided it was his mom being with him until he left, then hoped he would stay home with mom's boyfriend.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, January 27, 2022 - 6:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
My dad died in '73 at age 67. My mom died in '96 at age 89. I wouldn't call mom and I close though not distant. Don't know what you'd call itt. We each had our own units in the same condo bldg where I still am. And I'm kind of a loner. There was a guy years back. He came and went through the years I knew him. He was "it" for me. Died 12/26/09.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 27, 2022 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have had no parents for over 50 years. Both died real young of natural causes.

I sort of resented a totally different storyline being the total topic tonight with so few episodes left. But it was well done and sort of a stand alone story. I loved the kids playing with the grandparent they never had and hope he somehow figures in again.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, January 28, 2022 - 1:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I just lost my mom barely a year ago. She was 97, and I was 65. My dad died in 1988, and my first husband left me just a few months later, so my mom and I both "got single" around the same time. We were very close for a long time. We took a lot of trips together: Lake Tahoe, Hawaii, Las Vegas. My new husband and I bought a house with my mom, and we all lived here together for 7 1/2 years (with our son, who was 6 1/2 when we moved in). When her dementia started to get to be too much, we moved her into a memory care facility, but I still took her to lunch nearly every week. By the time she passed away, she didn't know who I was anymore. That was hard. I really missed being able to talk to her on the phone. I still have one brother and my nephew that my parents raised, but my two older sisters are both gone, too, so there's no one who really remembers things from my childhood (my brother is younger than me).

My mom passed during Covid, so we weren't even able to have a funeral. I've said those words to myself so many times in the past year, "I don't have a mom anymore." But I really lost her long before she died, and I missed her for years before she was actually gone. Dementia is a terrible thing. That's why Rebecca's story means so much to me this season. I understand what they're all going through.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, January 28, 2022 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm enjoying hearing everyone's stories about their Moms and that is one of the best (of many) things about this show. How viewers can relate to it on a personal level. I was fortunate to have a great relationship with both my parents. My only regret is that they didn't get to meet their grandchildren, which they would have adored.

I have mixed feelings about this episode. It was a beautiful episode in the wrong season. Any other season this would have been fantastic but I do have some empathy for viewers who want to move forward at this point.

The other question I had in watching is where was Nicky? I couldn't believe that Jack didn't call him and that his presence (or lack thereof) was totally ignored by everyone. It was like Jack was an only child.

The preview for next week's show looked amazing. Finally!

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, January 28, 2022 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Jack and his family thought Nicky was dead. Remember, Nicky ran away from everyone and lived in a trailer.